View Poll Results: Fellow Ontarian's... Who are you voting for in the upcoming Provincial Election?

Voters
30. This poll is closed
  • Liberal

3 10.00%
  • PC

15 50.00%
  • NDP

7 23.33%
  • Green

4 13.33%
  • Other (if so...who and why? - Comments)

1 3.33%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Help an Ontarian out. WHO THE HELL DO I VOTE FOR IN THE UPCOMING PROVINCIAL ELLECTION?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Help an Ontarian out. WHO THE HELL DO I VOTE FOR IN THE UPCOMING PROVINCIAL ELLECTION?

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Ford is not even remotely close to Trump lol. Other than being loud and and somewhat belligerent, I don't understand that comparison at all.

Ontario made the right choice as expected. Interesting times ahead.
    It's pretty much the whole guilty by association concept. Both are on the right so it's "TRUMP IS SHIT! hey, you're from his side!? YOU'RE SHIT!"

It's easier to say he's the "next Trump" because everyone already has their perception of who/what Trump is, instead of actually explaining or picking apart Ford & his platform (or lack there of).

I'm not saying it's right, or this is the exact reason people refer to him that way. Just my best guess.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Help an Ontarian out. WHO THE HELL DO I VOTE FOR IN THE UPCOMING PROVINCIAL ELLECTION?

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    should I be saying sorry Ontario? or congratulations? I really don't know if this hot mess PC Majority is any better or worse than the previous Liberal hot mess or better or worse than a potential NDP hot mess...

where have all the good politicians gone? or am I just older now and they've it's always been this dark & dank ?
    It certainly does feel like this doesn't it? Society gets more "advanced" and you deal with a lot more complicating factors and issues that weren't a big deal back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    The good people are no longer welcome in that game. You have to become a certain type of person to rise through those ranks.
    Yeah it's really unfortunate that that's the way the world works, but it's true.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Ace

Ford is not even remotely close to Trump lol. Other than being loud and and somewhat belligerent, I don't understand that comparison at all.

The comparison is based on Ford attempts to appeal to people's populist sentiments, plus he literally compared himself to Trump several times in the campaign. So yeah... That's where the comparison tends to come from, even if it's not super apt. I think it was a political ploy created by the PC party, to try to get populists who had already been stirred up by watching US news to actually get out and vote, since that's often the biggest hurdle to being elected in Canada. Seriously, Elections Ontario is all pumped about a 58% voter turnout, because it's the highest turnout since 1998.

Our electoral system is super broken (like, worse than the US Presidential system), and it's exacerbated by low turnouts. So, currently we have elected a PC majority with them only receiving endorsement from about 22.5% of eligible voters. It's just mind blowing how few votes are actually needed to form a "majority." Same goes Federally. I think Trudeau's Liberals only had about a third of the vote and ended up with a majority. That's why for me, electoral reform is one of my top issues in any election. Too bad none of the Ontario parties actually wanted to do anything about it this year. Just add it to Trudeau's government deciding that we (read: they) are better off with the status quo.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    The comparison is based on Ford attempts to appeal to people's populist sentiments, plus he literally compared himself to Trump several times in the campaign. So yeah... That's where the comparison tends to come from, even if it's not super apt. I think it was a political ploy created by the PC party, to try to get populists who had already been stirred up by watching US news to actually get out and vote, since that's often the biggest hurdle to being elected in Canada. Seriously, Elections Ontario is all pumped about a 58% voter turnout, because it's the highest turnout since 1998.

Our electoral system is super broken (like, worse than the US Presidential system), and it's exacerbated by low turnouts. So, currently we have elected a PC majority with them only receiving endorsement from about 22.5% of eligible voters. It's just mind blowing how few votes are actually needed to form a "majority." Same goes Federally. I think Trudeau's Liberals only had about a third of the vote and ended up with a majority. That's why for me, electoral reform is one of my top issues in any election. Too bad none of the Ontario parties actually wanted to do anything about it this year. Just add it to Trudeau's government deciding that we (read: they) are better off with the status quo.
    I actually voted for the first time in a long time federally, and voted for the liberals because of the promise that the first past the post system would be eliminated. I'll be voting again but with zero belief that it's making a real difference to my life other than a warm fuzzy feeling of participating in a symbolic democratic action. When the statistical chance of my vote actually counting is nearly zero, and even if my vote "mattered" politicians don't do what the promise anyways, voting is not a rational use of my time. I have a higher chance of being hit by a bus and dying on the way to the polling station then having my vote actually "count". And yet there I am doing it anyways because I am an emotional creature that does dumb stuff. It is what it is.

Volunteerism has replaced political involvement for me these days (and I used to be very involved politically when I was younger) and it brings way more fulfillment and actual change to the world.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I actually voted for the first time in a long time federally, and voted for the liberals because of the promise that the first past the post system would be eliminated. I'll be voting again but with zero belief that it's making a real difference to my life other than a warm fuzzy feeling of participating in a symbolic democratic action. When the statistical chance of my vote actually counting is nearly zero, and even if my vote "mattered" politicians don't do what the promise anyways, voting is not a rational use of my time. I have a higher chance of being hit by a bus and dying on the way to the polling station then having my vote actually "count". And yet there I am doing it anyways because I am an emotional creature that does dumb stuff. It is what it is.

Volunteerism has replaced political involvement for me these days (and I used to be very involved politically when I was younger) and it brings way more fulfillment and actual change to the world.
    Most frustrating broken political promise of my life.

I definitely agree with you, volunteer work has so much more of a noticeable impact on your own community. I feel like there's a considerable shift going on for a lot of people towards that local community mentality. Its easier to control the world closer to home.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Time will tell if it's the 'right' choice. It's certainly the one that has the potential for the most entertaining headlines.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    That's why for me, electoral reform is one of my top issues in any election. Too bad none of the Ontario parties actually wanted to do anything about it this year. Just add it to Trudeau's government deciding that we (read: they) are better off with the status quo.
    When a party is elected to a majority, they don't want to change the system because it is what gave them the majority.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid