Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New NFL Policy requires all Players and Personel on field to stand for National Anthem...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: New NFL Policy requires all Players and Personel on field to stand for National Anthem...

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Yes. Imagine if every player protested something that they felt was wrong in the USA. There are many other ways to protest.
    Could you imagine? A handful of players kneeling before a game. The horror.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: New NFL Policy requires all Players and Personel on field to stand for National Anthem...

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    This rule has more to do with the fans reactions and how they are affecting the owners bottom line than allowing individuals (which they are not when they are in team "uniforms") the right to protest as a form of free speech.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    This rule has more to do with the fans reactions and how they are affecting the owners bottom line than allowing individuals (which they are not when they are in team "uniforms") the right to protest as a form of free speech.
    Exactly Comish. The problem is not the kneeling it is the reaction by some of the fans.

Don't forget many veterans also support this simple non-violent form of protest. #VeteranForKaepernick #TakeAKneee
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    It would be a making a mockery of the national anthem which is anti-patriotism. It would take away from the real reason fans attend the games, the games themselves. Fans enjoy sporting events because it takes them away from their regular lives.They don't want to go to games and be reminded how bad things can be out there. At least I wouldn't. It would be a bummer.

It didn't quite work for out for that Canadian tenor who decided to change the words to O' Canada during the MLB all star game. He lost his job and ruined his reputation for hijacking the anthem, which is kind of what some players are doing. He was actually looked at as a kook. I didn't hear anyone backing him up. Do we want the anthem singers changing the words to appease their feelings? The horror.

Administrator

It really doesn't take much for people to get stressed out and offended in 2018 lol

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    It would be a making a mockery of the national anthem which is anti-patriotism. It would take away from the real reason fans attend the games, the games themselves. Fans enjoy sporting events because it takes them away from their regular lives.They don't want to go to games and be reminded how bad things can be out there. At least I wouldn't. It would be a bummer.

It didn't quite work for out for that Canadian tenor who decided to change the words to O' Canada during the MLB all star game. He lost his job and ruined his reputation for hijacking the anthem, which is kind of what some players are doing. He was actually looked at as a kook. I didn't hear anyone backing him up. Do we want the anthem singers changing the words to appease their feelings? The horror.
    Sorry, this is a ridiculous analogy. First of all, kneeling during the National Anthem is not making a “mockery” of the Anthem any more than standing for the Anthem makes you a patriot. You are literally not doing anything except kneeling. How is that making a “mockery” out of it? And the guy that changed the words of the Anthem was being paid EXACTLY TO SING THE ANTHEM. He didn’t do it right, and he was fired for not doing his job. Not one player in the NFL is being paid to stand during the Anthem.

Sure, you can enact a policy that says employees have to adhere to this new rule, but how do you enforce it? I am a scrub at work. If I don’t follow the new rules, my employer can fire me and the next scrub in the queue steps in and takes my place. I am never missed. Are you going to fire your star tackle because he isn’t standing? Not likely. Are you going to bench him? If he is the blind-side tackle for your star QB, that probably isn’t a good idea. Can you fine him? Well, as we are hearing from the PA, maybe not.

This isn’t about Patriotism. I am not even sure it’s about the bottom line; profits have increased yearly for ages. This is about the NFL trying not to piss off Trump. You think that the owners love America more than the players who are kneeling? Give me a break...

Rylant

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Sorry, this is a ridiculous analogy. First of all, kneeling during the National Anthem is not making a “mockery” of the Anthem any more than standing for the Anthem makes you a patriot. You are literally not doing anything except kneeling. How is that making a “mockery” out of it? And the guy that changed the words of the Anthem was being paid EXACTLY TO SING THE ANTHEM. He didn’t do it right, and he was fired for not doing his job. Not one player in the NFL is being paid to stand during the Anthem.

Sure, you can enact a policy that says employees have to adhere to this new rule, but how do you enforce it? I am a scrub at work. If I don’t follow the new rules, my employer can fire me and the next scrub in the queue steps in and takes my place. I am never missed. Are you going to fire your star tackle because he isn’t standing? Not likely. Are you going to bench him? If he is the blind-side tackle for your star QB, that probably isn’t a good idea. Can you fine him? Well, as we are hearing from the PA, maybe not.

This isn’t about Patriotism. I am not even sure it’s about the bottom line; profits have increased yearly for ages. This is about the MFL trying not to piss off Trump. You think that the owners love America more than the players who are kneeling? Give me a break...

Rylant
    Before the national anthem, the PA announcer asks everyone to please rise for the national anthem. It is the patriotic thing to do. Some people put their right hand over their heart. Others take their hats off and some even sing along. If everyone including the fans and the players protested the anthem, they would simply abolish it because it is being made a mockery of. No? I honestly doubt that they would continue playing it before sporting events if nobody respected it. Why would they?

The anthem has been played at every professional sporting event since the begining. It probably meant more to the citizens during and after WW2. Even now, we have military personal at pretty much every event. I wonder how they feel.

Personaly, in Joey Votto's words, I couldn't give a rats ass if they played the anthem or not, but if they do, I will stand.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I can see it being hard for some to be patriotic when your country (police) are criminal profiling you based on your skin colour and as a minority you are not being provided the same freedoms to the same extent as other citizens. All this talk about the standing, kneeling... but I haven't seen anyone actually acknowledge in any detail WHY they are doing it. It's not a straight up screw you USA. It's a, I'm tired of getting pulled over, abused, profiled, picked on - based on my skin colour.

The players association was not consulted with this rule change. We'll see if it sticks or not. If it does, we'll start to see more kneeling in the end-zone after touchdowns or more political statement 'celebrations' ..
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

LOL No one is "forcing" them to stand. If they don't like the rules of the league they are more than free to get the hell out.

Hilarious seeing leftists comparing this to Hitler or Stalin - morons obviously haven't read a history book. They just want to throw a tantrum when they don't get their way.

Snowflakes melting everywhere!
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

The Great One

They can do whatever they want when they are not at work.

When they are employed they must follow their employer. Pretty simple really.

Dobber Sports Stud

Well the vindictive nature of this debate is taking this thread to an unhappy place.

So I will post some facts about the situation in hopes of it taking the high road.

The NFL owners voted almost to a team to implement the plan. The only exception was the 49ers franchise which abstained. I think these mega rich corporate types are stuck in an uncomfortable position. They can side with the players upon whose efforts they make a profit, OR they can stand with what they believe to be the conservative position that the flag must be respected. I can see both sides to the issue and believe its a no win situation for NFL franchises. Given the ugly nature of the situation they had to take action. NOT taking action would have been far worse than this decision.

The Jets owner went public saying he would pay the fines if Jets players didn't stand for the anthem. He knows the blowback that is coming from the decision and the windfall that could come from allowing their players the freedom to choose how they want to act during the national song. A noble move by a family that totally supports the Trump administration as the other brother is ambassador to England. This alone gives a clear indication about which way the wind is blowing.

Its been my experience that hampering the freedom of speech (real or imagined) has consequences. Hopefully it results in Ghandi, Mandella or MLK type moments rather than violent responses such as Churchill who said in 1937 "I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place." Or Pinochet or Idi Amin. Soweto, Gaza the list is long ugly and almost endless.

We can quote all sorts of folks throughout history on this issue

Socrates speaks to jury at his trial: 'If you offered to let me off this time on condition I am not any longer to speak my mind... I should say to you, "Men of Athens, I shall obey the Gods rather than you."'

1633 Galileo Galilei hauled before the Inquisition after claiming the sun does not revolve around the earth.

1770 Voltaire writes in a letter: 'Monsieur l'abb?, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write.'

1929 Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, of the US Supreme Court, outlines his belief in free speech: 'The principle of free thought is not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought we hate.'

Yes the owners control the sport and pay the salaries. The players are employees and as such accept the conditions of employment. There is no question about that.

But to tell a group of people who also happen to be mostly minorities that they cannot "take a knee" sounds rather pedantic, peurile and ill conceived. Had the situation been ignored we would not be at this point today.

So there you have it. The water is NOT under the bridge but rather before it. Will it take the form of a rain runoff or will it become a tsunami ? Lets hope cooler heads prevail but somehow when it comes to North American football cool heads is not the modus operandi.

What I can say having lived in places like Oakland is that "shit like that mighta worked back in the day but folks are off the hook yo". Don't stir the hornets nest.

If people want to kneel, its not illegal to be stupid.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Stud

on the other hand if its about standing perhaps the beer vendors should stop selling during the anthem
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    on the other hand if its about standing perhaps the beer vendors should stop selling during the anthem
    San Fran 49ers said their concessions will be closed during the National Anthem this upcoming year.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

No one is "forcing" them to stand - if they wish to sit, they can do so in the locker room.

At the end of the day this is the employer saying leave your personal views at home, you are upsetting the majority of our customers.

It's a pretty simple concept really..
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    No one is "forcing" them to stand - if they wish to sit, they can do so in the locker room.

At the end of the day this is the employer saying leave your personal views at home, you are upsetting the majority of our customers.

It's a pretty simple concept really..
    Majority? That's debatable...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust