Thread: Klingberg vs. Barrie - who ya got?

The Magnificent One

Default Klingberg vs. Barrie - who ya got?

It's two big defensive guns facing off this week in cage match: https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home...-tyson-barrie/

This past season Klingberg had more points, but Barrie actually had the higher per game scoring rate. Who do you favor in fantasy going forward? Did Barrie's stats improve because of the team around him, or was he a key contributor in making the offense succeed like it did? Did we witness a fourth year Klingberg break out, and if so is it just a stepping stone to bigger and better things, or might he be at risk of seeing his stats drop back a bit? There's a lot of analysis in this match, so I encourage you to give it a read and come back here to discuss both the players in general and your view on the conclusion(s) I reached.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Klingberg vs. Barrie - who ya got?

Great article as always!! Thanks for sharing. I admit I went into it thinking Klingberg for sure... but you definitely got me thinking it is closer. Thanks!!

Dobber Sports Pro

Very interesting! Barrie was closer than I realized. I've got Klingberg as a keeper (Karlsson too), but Barrie is NOT being kept by his team (6 keepers only, and that GM's others are amazing), so now you've got me thinking I might take Barrie quite early (first or second round). Think he does well enough next year that I should take him ahead of any of Benn, Voracek, Vasilevskiy, or Forsberg? Thanks!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    Very interesting! Barrie was closer than I realized. I've got Klingberg as a keeper (Karlsson too), but Barrie is NOT being kept by his team (6 keepers only, and that GM's others are amazing), so now you've got me thinking I might take Barrie quite early (first or second round). Think he does well enough next year that I should take him ahead of any of Benn, Voracek, Vasilevskiy, or Forsberg? Thanks!
    Your league has 4 D and 9F, so D is somewhat important but not crucial. In your league and given your retentions I'm likely aiming for Winger scoring early because they don't grow on trees, whereas 19 d-men scored 50+ points last season, so they're less of a precious commodity. Don't get me wrong - if you "reached" for Barrie you probably would get good value, but looking at your team you probably want a top LW early instead. If Barrie happens to be there in round 2 then MAYBE I consider him, but even there it might be too tempting to grab another stud winger or even an overlooked top netminder.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Padawan

Great article & choice of players! I've been hoping for a Barrie vs Someone cage match to see how he stacks up.
    I think he's gonna be money next year, good points about him in a keeper situation though.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Your league has 4 D and 9F, so D is somewhat important but not crucial. In your league and given your retentions I'm likely aiming for Winger scoring early because they don't grow on trees, whereas 19 d-men scored 50+ points last season, so they're less of a precious commodity. Don't get me wrong - if you "reached" for Barrie you probably would get good value, but looking at your team you probably want a top LW early instead. If Barrie happens to be there in round 2 then MAYBE I consider him, but even there it might be too tempting to grab another stud winger or even an overlooked top netminder.
    Wow, thanks very much for this. REP given! I think you're right on all accounts. I'll go for Benn in the first round (I've got 2nd and 3rd overall picks and the guy with first is obsessed with youth so probably won't go for Benn), then probably Vas. I don't have any LW askeepers currently - but there are some good players likely available to draft: Forsberg, Schenn, Marchessault, W. Karlsson, Rakell, Ehlers, Hoffman, Landeskog, etc..

I'm almost tempted to go for Barrie (or maybe Voracek?) with the 3rd overall, as this cage match has me excited about his potential. There are loads of good goalies available (only one start per night), so I might wait and let someone else reach on Vas, since it's unlikely that he repeats his season to the same degree next year. Thoughts?
    G - Skinner

F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    Great article & choice of players! I've been hoping for a Barrie vs Someone cage match to see how he stacks up.
    I think he's gonna be money next year, good points about him in a keeper situation though.
    Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad I could scratch your cage match itch. Note to everyone - I do consider suggestions for matches, although I can't promise anything and try to make sure it's not someone I covered within the last 12 months.

As you seized upon and I noted at the end of the article, Barrie in a keeper is a bit concerning due to his UFA situation, and not just for those in cap leagues. On the one hand a team likely knows his strong points and won't try to mold him into an all-around defensemen ala Doughty or Pietrangelo; however, given the sum he'll be getting chances are he'll be asked to be more of an all-around guy than he is now, and that might not be music to his fantasy owner's ears. Then again, take a guy like Keith Yandle - Florida has molded him into a 3 zone d-man and this past season he responded with one of his best campaigns, so you never know.

The Magnificent One

Wow, thanks very much for this. REP given! I think you're right on all accounts. I'll go for Benn in the first round (I've got 2nd and 3rd overall picks and the guy with first is obsessed with youth so probably won't go for Benn), then probably Vas. I don't have any LW askeepers currently - but there are some good players likely available to draft: Forsberg, Schenn, Marchessault, W. Karlsson, Rakell, Ehlers, Hoffman, Landeskog, etc..

I'm almost tempted to go for Barrie (or maybe Voracek?) with the 3rd overall, as this cage match has me excited about his potential. There are loads of good goalies available (only one start per night), so I might wait and let someone else reach on Vas, since it's unlikely that he repeats his season to the same degree next year. Thoughts?
    There are three reasons why - under your specific circumstances - I'm not taking Barrie 3rd overall. First is although his points per game rate among defensemen was second best in the league, his lower point total will make him stand out less than had he played all 82 games and scored at or near 70 points. Second is that other GMs might be distrusting of him being a true stud d-man, not just because prior to last season his points had declined for two straight campaigns but also they might fear that Colorado caught lightning in a bottle and they might come back to earth and, with that, so too could the stats of their stars. And third is that you can probably get 80% of what Barrie gives you probably at least 5 rounds later. Can you say the same about wingers, or even netminders? Given these factors, I pass on him with the third overall pick (Voracek too, btw - read my Goldipucks piece about him from April 4th) and see if he falls to me in round 2 or even 3.

In the end, you know your league and your GMs better than me, but my honest take is this cage match has you very excited about Barrie. Do yourself a favor a step back to look at this objectively and try to sketch out the first couple of rounds based on who's available to be picked and the tendencies of your GMs when it comes to drafting. Winning leagues is as much if not more so about knowing when to wait to pick someone as it is about pouncing on the right guy(s) early.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    There are three reasons why - under your specific circumstances - I'm not taking Barrie 3rd overall. First is although his points per game rate among defensemen was second best in the league, his lower point total will make him stand out less than had he played all 82 games and scored at or near 70 points. Second is that other GMs might be distrusting of him being a true stud d-man, not just because prior to last season his points had declined for two straight campaigns but also they might fear that Colorado caught lightning in a bottle and they might come back to earth and, with that, so too could the stats of their stars. And third is that you can probably get 80% of what Barrie gives you probably at least 5 rounds later. Can you say the same about wingers, or even netminders? Given these factors, I pass on him with the third overall pick (Voracek too, btw - read my Goldipucks piece about him from April 4th) and see if he falls to me in round 2 or even 3.

In the end, you know your league and your GMs better than me, but my honest take is this cage match has you very excited about Barrie. Do yourself a favor a step back to look at this objectively and try to sketch out the first couple of rounds based on who's available to be picked and the tendencies of your GMs when it comes to drafting. Winning leagues is as much if not more so about knowing when to wait to pick someone as it is about pouncing on the right guy(s) early.
    Thanks again! Yeah, that's a good call. I doubt Barrie is as high on other GM's lists as a bunch of those good young LW that I mentioned earlier. I'll probably try to go for them instead. Barrie may very well still be available in the 3rd round. Thanks so much for all your thoughts!
    G - Skinner

The Magnificent One

Thanks again! Yeah, that's a good call. I doubt Barrie is as high on other GM's lists as a bunch of those good young LW that I mentioned earlier. I'll probably try to go for them instead. Barrie may very well still be available in the 3rd round. Thanks so much for all your thoughts!
    You're welcome. And if he's not available because someone else snagged him, don't get too bent out of shape. There will be value to be had and if you pick the right defensemen later you can recreate Barrie's value in the aggregate. For example, let's say that instead of picking Barrie early you lose him to someone else and then Barrie gets 66 points. Ouch - I know. But if you got top value for the picks you selected instead of Barrie, and were shrewd about the other d-men you got, then you can make up some of those 66 points via your other d-men who you take later but who offer better value at lower cost.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Interesting match. At the beginning of the season I had both of these guys, but dropped Barrie as my final cut. I realized he was good, but I needed to free up a blueline roster spot - simply dropped the wrong guy, when OEL would've been a better drop.

Klingberg is clearly better, but as you note, not by as much as some would think. I do think that Hitchcock being gone will help him, but it's a bit of an unknown.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Monster

Can't say for multi-cat since I don't go in many of them leagues but points only I would take Klingberg no question. Both will be surrounded by great offensive talent but Klingberg has the better track record.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't say for multi-cat since I don't go in many of them leagues but points only I would take Klingberg no question. Both will be surrounded by great offensive talent but Klingberg has the better track record.