Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] EKane and Sharks closing in on 7yr extension

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: [Rumor] EKane and Sharks closing in on 7yr extension

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Based on my model it's about market value. Sharks are trying to stay competitive in the older years of Pavelski and while they have Jones/Burns locked up. Honestly I can't blame them. Kane fit very well with them and I think fits him better than a lot of other places. I am less weary owning him in fantasy next season than if he had signed in many other markets.
    Agreed, but why not explore other options AND keep your 1st. Maybe Maroon at less than half that cost and half the term? Definitely not the upside of EKane, but brings a physical element and is actually in the line-up for most of the season.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Based on my model it's about market value. Sharks are trying to stay competitive in the older years of Pavelski and while they have Jones/Burns locked up. Honestly I can't blame them. Kane fit very well with them and I think fits him better than a lot of other places. I am less weary owning him in fantasy next season than if he had signed in many other markets.
    He fit in well with the Sharks because he was playing for a contract. He hardly ever showed that kind of effort in non-contract years.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Two 50 point seasons in 9 years, with highs of 57 points and 30 goals.... Both times he cracked 50 happen to be in contract years. Its not Lucic bad, but Sharks fans are going to hate this contract very quickly.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    He fit in well with the Sharks because he was playing for a contract. He hardly ever showed that kind of effort in non-contract years.
    It felt different watching him in Buffalo vs San Jose. I think the playoffs actually had more to do with it than the contract year did. Though I do agree his best years are conveniently his contract years.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

Time will tell but I'm certainly leery if I'm a sharks fan.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Genius

Really? These jokers do know that April 1st was a month and half ago,... right?!
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Legend

If Evander got 7x7, I can only imagine what Wayne Simmonds is going to ask for.

Dobber Sports Titan

UFA’s with more points than Kane this yr:
    Tavares – 83
    Carlson – 67
    Perron – 66
    Vanek – 56

If Kane gets 7mill, imagine what Stastny (53pts) and JvR (54pts) will get as well.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm not a huge Kane fan... but there just isn't much out there for teams to "sign".
    The free agent class is old... and slow... and soft.

There's Tavares ($12m est), Carlson ($10m est), and JVR ($8m est)... and I think those guys will get close to those numbers because the rest of the market is just really unflattering.
    Which means that teams will be shelling out $5m-$6m to patch-in James Neal... or Val Filppula... or David Perron - gross.
    I'd rather pay an extra $1m-2m and have Evander Kane!!

Think of this as a 2-for-2 choice at $8m.

SJ could go with E.Kane($7m) and a kid (RFA @ $925k)
    or
    SJ could go with two ho-hum UFAs at $4m each.
    [Which they've already tried with guys like Boedker-$4m and Joel Ward-$3.3m.... I mean, if Boedker/J.Ward is what the market can fetch for $7m... isn't E.Kane the better side!?!]

The Great One

They give up a first round pick AND have to pay him $49 million?!?

I think this might qualify as the worse decision by any GM in the NHL over the last 5 years, and there have been LOTS of stupid decisions made lately. It constantly boggles my mind how some managers seem to lack common sense.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'm not a huge Kane fan... but there just isn't much out there for teams to "sign".
    The free agent class is old... and slow... and soft.

There's Tavares ($12m est), Carlson ($10m est), and JVR ($8m est)... and I think those guys will get close to those numbers because the rest of the market is just really unflattering.
    Which means that teams will be shelling out $5m-$6m to patch-in James Neal... or Val Filppula... or David Perron - gross.
    I'd rather pay an extra $1m-2m and have Evander Kane!!

Think of this as a 2-for-2 choice at $8m.

SJ could go with E.Kane($7m) and a kid (RFA @ $925k)
    or
    SJ could go with two ho-hum UFAs at $4m each.
    [Which they've already tried with guys like Boedker-$4m and Joel Ward-$3.3m.... I mean, if Boedker/J.Ward is what the market can fetch for $7m... isn't E.Kane the better side!?!]
    Nicely thought out breakdown by you P7. Makes a lot of sense, I just don't like paying a player like Kane that much scratch for that many years. Kane gets hurt a lot, has had his share of drama, and isn't consistently productive. I wouldn't be committing to a player like Kane for 7 years, taking him until he's 34.
    This is the problem with NHL GM's - they simply can't help themselves.

To your point - there's not much out there to "sign" - so, then why do these teams overpay just because? Walk away. Promote a youngster. Make a trade.
    If I'm committing long-term to a player, they would be a different type of player, and person, than Evander Kane. I don't get it.
    Kane is the type of player I would be willing to overpay for 1 or 2 years and have him continually prove himself. If someone else is willing to be stupid, let them.

As a Flyers fan, I cringe. Simmonds is 5x the player and person Kane is, and his deal will be up soon. The Flyers can't afford another 8+ million forward on the roster, which puts them in a hard place.

Dobber Sports Titan

Just to clarify, the pick goes up from a second to a first. It's not just tossing on a whole new pick, it just gets bumped ahead in the draft by 31 spots.
    If you're really getting into it, the evaluation of likelyhood you hit with the 25th pick vs the 56th is not all that much different, eveb though to us it seems like it should be.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Legend

Oh, and just an FYI - Bobby McK just called into TSN Toronto and said, although not a done deal, it looks like 7x7 for Kane.

Dobber Sports Titan

I rather spend the 1mill more and get JvR really. Kane will be 27 come the start of the season, so he'll be 34 when this 7yr deals done. JvR is 2yrs older, but can stay healthy and has a bit more of a track record of 60pts.

But if they want to go for it this yr and the next yr, Kane can be a solid choice? I dunno. If he's smartened up maybe he can stay healthy.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I rather spend the 1mill more and get JvR really. Kane will be 27 come the start of the season, so he'll be 34 when this 7yr deals done. JvR is 2yrs older, but can stay healthy and has a bit more of a track record of 60pts.

But if they want to go for it this yr and the next yr, Kane can be a solid choice? I dunno. If he's smartened up maybe he can stay healthy.
    One way to look at it is they're probably already screwed for the last couple years of Burns' deal, so why not put the chips on the table for the next four years anyways.