Thread: Way too early keeper choices

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Way too early keeper choices

Gotta keep 5 from my sig, one of them has to be a D or G. I'm thinking Kuch, Seguin, Pasta, Trocheck and Helle. Seem sensible? I pick 9th of 10 in the draft this fall so will take the best LW or D available.
    10-team keeper, H2H points. Keep 5 (previous season's in bold), one must be D or G.
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 1F, 4D, 2G, 4BN, IR, IR+
    G(2), A(2), +/-(0.5), PPP(1), SHP(1), GWG(1), SOG(0.25), HIT(0.25), BLK(0.25), W(3), GA(-1), SV(0.2), SHO(3).

C: Seguin ​(RW), Nuge, Riley Nash (RW), Trocheck
    LW: Ehlers, Lee, Guentzel (C), Huberdeau
    RW: Pastrnak, Kucherov, Palmieri,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Vatanen, Ellis,
    G: Talbot​, Bishop, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Way too early keeper choices

10 teams, start 2 goalies? How many players do you start at each position.

Do any teams keep more than 1 goalie? Basically in a 10 team keep 5 league, you're probably only having max 10 goalies kept, which means there are plenty available and there is no point keeping a goalie.

However, the point discrepancy between G and skaters is pretty high. Hellebuyck put up around 400+ in this format? Whereas Kucherov put up 250 ish? Seems a little off. Maybe it makes sense to go goalie heavy given they are such huge contributors. I guess I would keep Hellebuyck given this and then draft another good goalie with my 1st rounder. (This is due to saves being worth 0.2 btw. They should really be worth 0.1, which would bring Hellebuyck's total closer to 200, more in line with an elite skater. If this doesn't change though, target high saves workhorse goalies. That's where many of your points will come from).

Kucherov/Seguin/Pastrnak are all no brainers. Trochek is a great next pick, but Ehlers should garner some consideration as well, depending how many you need to start at LW. Tough choice there.

Dobber Sports Jedi

those would be my 5. helle's one of the very few G's I'd consider keeping in a keep 5
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    10 teams, start 2 goalies? How many players do you start at each position.

Do any teams keep more than 1 goalie? Basically in a 10 team keep 5 league, you're probably only having max 10 goalies kept, which means there are plenty available and there is no point keeping a goalie.

However, the point discrepancy between G and skaters is pretty high. Hellebuyck put up around 400+ in this format? Whereas Kucherov put up 250 ish? Seems a little off. Maybe it makes sense to go goalie heavy given they are such huge contributors. I guess I would keep Hellebuyck given this and then draft another good goalie with my 1st rounder. (This is due to saves being worth 0.2 btw. They should really be worth 0.1, which would bring Hellebuyck's total closer to 200, more in line with an elite skater. If this doesn't change though, target high saves workhorse goalies. That's where many of your points will come from).

Kucherov/Seguin/Pastrnak are all no brainers. Trochek is a great next pick, but Ehlers should garner some consideration as well, depending how many you need to start at LW. Tough choice there.
    Kuch put up ~332 points, good for 5th overall among F/D (Seguin was 11th, Trocheck 13th, Pastrnak 21st). Hellebuyck scored ~372 and was the top scorer overall at any position. You're right in that there's sense in keeping goalies because they are routinely the most valuable points-wise, and also because this league rewards volume you can get great value out of a workhorse even if their ratios aren't the best. Talbot for example was nowhere near last season's numbers but still ranked 10th among goalies because he played a whole bunch; I kept him from the season prior and drafted Bishop and Lehner for exactly the reasons you said, they should have been good to start 60+ and see a whole lot of rubber. There's not much chance Helle survives until 9th overall though.

We start two at LW with one extra F slot. LW is an eternal problem for me, but I do have the advantage of being absolutely loaded at RW (especially if Seguin keeps his eligibiligy) so I can worry about RW depth late on and fill up other positions. We had some great LW's go quite late last year - Landeskog, Lee, Schwartz and E. Kane all went consecutively in the 7th round, effectively the 12th factoring in keepers - but I'm aiming to grab one in the first couple of rounds if I can.
    10-team keeper, H2H points. Keep 5 (previous season's in bold), one must be D or G.
    G(2), A(2), +/-(0.5), PPP(1), SHP(1), GWG(1), SOG(0.25), HIT(0.25), BLK(0.25), W(3), GA(-1), SV(0.2), SHO(3).

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    those would be my 5. helle's one of the very few G's I'd consider keeping in a keep 5
    Appreciate it. I'd love to keep Doughty but Trocheck is a beast in this league. I got him from FA about a month in!

Helle's young, skilled and plays behind a stacked forward group, what's not to love?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenScotsman View Post
    Kuch put up ~332 points, good for 5th overall among F/D (Seguin was 11th, Trocheck 13th, Pastrnak 21st). Hellebuyck scored ~372 and was the top scorer overall at any position. You're right in that there's sense in keeping goalies because they are routinely the most valuable points-wise, and also because this league rewards volume you can get great value out of a workhorse even if their ratios aren't the best. Talbot for example was nowhere near last season's numbers but still ranked 10th among goalies because he played a whole bunch; I kept him from the season prior and drafted Bishop and Lehner for exactly the reasons you said, they should have been good to start 60+ and see a whole lot of rubber. There's not much chance Helle survives until 9th overall though.

We start two at LW with one extra F slot. LW is an eternal problem for me, but I do have the advantage of being absolutely loaded at RW (especially if Seguin keeps his eligibiligy) so I can worry about RW depth late on and fill up other positions. We had some great LW's go quite late last year - Landeskog, Lee, Schwartz and E. Kane all went consecutively in the 7th round, effectively the 12th factoring in keepers - but I'm aiming to grab one in the first couple of rounds if I can.
    Ah, I made a mistake in my calculations, I only counted 1 for a point for some reason. That makes it closer, although something is still off with the scoring system and my calculations.

Regardless, with the above being the case, I would not keep Hellebuyck. Goalies are notriously up and down year to year, and if they score close to the top skaters, I would rather pick the top skaters with my high picks as they tend to be more consistent and I imagine that the difference between the 1st and 10th goalie is quite a bit less than say the 1st and the 50th skater or so (depends on the roster sizes). I would consider keeping Doughty as my 5th.

I probably keep Trochek over Ehlers then if you only start 2 LW. Not deep enough to worry about position eligibility.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree with your plan, mostly. Kucherov, Seguin, Pastrnak, Trocheck and then one of Doughty/Hellebuyck as required. I'd lean towards the goalie here, but can't fault you for leaning to defense.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Your choices look fine to me

The Great One

For whatever it's worth, I'd go with the 5 players in the OP. I briefly considered Ehlers (over VT), but then I remembered his playoff performance...way too soft.

Dobber Sports Legend

Plan A:

1. Kucherov (RW)
    2. Pastrnak (RW)
    3. Seguin (C)
    4. Hellebuyck (G)
    5. Try to package Trochek + Ehlers for a stud LW if possible, to balance your roster. Centers are usually easiest to come by

Plan B:

1. Kucherov (RW)
    2. Pastrnak (RW)
    3. Seguin (C)
    4. Trochek (C)
    5. Hellebuyck (G)
    *Go on a hard run to address D and LW early in the draft

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Plan A:

1. Kucherov (RW)
    2. Pastrnak (RW)
    3. Seguin (C)
    4. Hellebuyck (G)
    5. Try to package Trochek + Ehlers for a stud LW if possible, to balance your roster. Centers are usually easiest to come by

Plan B:

1. Kucherov (RW)
    2. Pastrnak (RW)
    3. Seguin (C)
    4. Trochek (C)
    5. Hellebuyck (G)
    *Go on a hard run to address D and LW early in the draft
    I'd absolutely do plan A if off-season trades were a thing in my league but unfortunately they aren't. Plan B was the thinking, stock up on LW and D in the first few rounds.

Dobber Sports Sage

If you can two for one trade try to do it. If not I like your picks.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Monster

Seguin
    Pastrnak
    Kucherov
    Hellebuyck
    Trocheck

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Seguin, Ehlers, Guentzel, Pastrnak, Kucherov

- - - Updated - - -

Seguin, Ehlers, Guentzel, Pastrnak, Kucherov
    H2H Points Only - Keep 10 - 8 teams / 1 PT per G or A / 2 PT per W / 2 PT per SO / [2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019 WINNER]
    F: Kucherov, Ovechkin, Matthews, Laine, Kessel, Pettersson, Boeser
    D: Burns, Carlson, Dahlin
    G:

H2H - Keep 5 + 1R - 10 teams / G, A, Hit, Blocks, PIM, +/-, SOG, PPP, SHP / W, GAA, SV%, SHO / [2ND SEASON]
    C: Eichel
    RW: Rantanen
    LW: Kucherov, Benn
    D: Dahlin (R)
    G: Hellebuyck