Thread: Trade Ullmatk for Sorokin

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Trade Ullmatk for Sorokin

Should I trade my Linus Ullmark to get Ilya Sorokin (deal probably wouldn't be 1 for 1, but that would be the basis for a deal)? On the one hand, Ullmark is knocking on the NHL's door, and looks to be Buffalo's goalie of the future. Unless they sign a bonafide starter this offseason, which I don't see them doing (more of a time share imo), he could very well steal the starter's job on a team that will have Eichel, Mittelstadt and Dahlin.
    On the other hand, he seems to have a much lower pedigree than Sorokin, who is one of the top top goalie prospects now.
    As much as I like Sorokin, it just doesn't make sense to me to trade Ullmark. Am I correct?

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Trade Ullmatk for Sorokin

I think anytime you trade for, or trade away, a prospect goalie it's a gamble. Both have excellent upsides but that means little in the actual NHL.

You say it wouldn't be the full deal (1 for 1) so without knowing the full deal, hard to say one way or the other if this is a good deal for you or not.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

At this point, I'd probably keep Ullmark here. If he grabs a full time NHL job which I think he'll do, then his value is likely going up. Sorokin is not going to do anything new because he's already been great in the KHL, so it's unlikely his value goes any higher until he's closer to being released from his KHL contract. He has two years left on that, so you can afford to wait a year and see what happens with Ullmark.

Big Daddy

I'd keep Linus Ullmark. He seems to be NHL ready and will be seeing a lot of minutes next season and beyond where as we don't really know how much more seasoning Sorokin will need before cracking an NHL lineup and likely won't be a starter for at least a few more years.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would keep Ullmark. As Axeman mentioned its always a gamble. So I think I can live better with myself if I keep the guy (Ullmark) that doesn't end up being as good as the other guy (Sorokin)

more than if I traded away the guy that becomes a star (Ullmark) for the guy that never cracks it (Sorokin) .

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I'd keep Linus Ullmark. He seems to be NHL ready and will be seeing a lot of minutes next season and beyond where as we don't really know how much more seasoning Sorokin will need before cracking an NHL lineup and likely won't be a starter for at least a few more years.
    I agree with this. There is no serious hurdle to him taking the Sabres job and running with it. Could they make a deal to get a guy like Grubauer or Saros who is a current backup, and would be a serious hurdle to overcome? Yes. It's unlikely they do that, though.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Hard for me to know without more info on your league settings (number of teams, how many goalies start per period, etc.). If it's a 20 team league, start 1G, and I have Vasilevsky and Hellebuyck.....well, then I'm shooting for the fences and taking the highest upside (Sorokin, IMO). Alternatively, if my goalie situation is a little shaky and what I really need is just somebody who is starting in NHL games, then I lean Ullmark.