Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AHL goalies promoted to NHL for 2018?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: AHL goalies promoted to NHL for 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Obviously that depends on the league and the scoring system in it. But when thinking of trade value, I think a young starter on a rising team is more valuable than a pure backup regardless of the team. Many leagues have minimum start numbers with goalies and because of that, even these lesser starters have a lot of value because they actually give you a chance to win those stats in H2H match-ups.
    Good point. I guess it also come down to whether you think guys like Grubauer and Dell are pure back ups or not.

Having Jones and Dell or Holtby and Grubauer guarantees a manager every start for that better team in any given week. I'd sooner that than what Lehner or Darling was giving their managers on most nights.

For me, it feels more like a slide ruler.

A) Get as many quality starters you can
    B) Focus on the handcuffs of your best goalies on the best teams (Jarry, Dell, Grubauer, Hutton... hell, maybe even Sparks/Mac)
    C) Target the "up and coming prospects / young tenders being groomed to one day Take over" - Ulmark, Demko... hmmm.. maybe Jarry fills two spots
    D) Lottery picks on left over tenders.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Just wondering if Sparks gets dealt to an NHL team that needs a goalie like PHilly.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Obviously that depends on the league and the scoring system in it. But when thinking of trade value, I think a young starter on a rising team is more valuable than a pure backup regardless of the team. Many leagues have minimum start numbers with goalies and because of that, even these lesser starters have a lot of value because they actually give you a chance to win those stats in H2H match-ups.
    Good point. I guess it also come down to whether you think guys like Grubauer and Dell are pure back ups or not.

Having Jones and Dell or Holtby and Grubauer guarantees a manager every start for that better team in any given week. I'd sooner that than what Lehner or Darling was giving their managers on most nights.

B) Focus on the handcuffs of your best goalies on the best teams (Jarry, Dell, Grubauer, Hutton... hell, maybe even Sparks/Mac)
    C) Target the "up and coming prospects / young tenders being groomed to one day Take over" - Ulmark, Demko... hmmm.. maybe Jarry fills two spots

Dobber Sports Master

I think halak , mrazek , ward all end up somewhere as backups on cheap deals to re-boot their careers but they wont have time to think about it for too long as job openings will be slim . Cam Ward on a cheap deal with Greiss might not be a bad option for the isles .

coyotes signed merrick madsen who's obviously going to start with the roadrunners but he's an interesting guy that falls in the watch list category

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post

Yeah well, obviously it's a good strategy to have both goalies from a good team if that's possible. But in deep leagues (20+ teams), that's not possible for everyone, so many GMs will need to get their starts from those lesser goalies. In that case, I think it's usually beneficial to get a starter from a bad team than just getting a backup regardless of the team if you don't own the starter already. So if you don't have any goalies, which one would have helped you more: Lehner or Dell?

In shallow leagues, yes, you can ignore goalies like them altogether because all GMs have a couple of good starters so you don't need to bother with backups or starters from bad teams. I don't play in shallow leagues myself, so I keep forgetting some people do.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Onetimer View Post
    Just wondering if Sparks gets dealt to an NHL team that needs a goalie like PHilly.
    I doubt that happens. Has Sparks been enough better than Lyon in the AHL playoffs to give up on Lyon, and give up stuff for Sparks? I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Flyers have a very weird goalie situation.

- 2 NHL guys who don't stay healthy, but generally perform well enough to be average starters, sometimes better when they are healthy.
    - Top backup looks good at AHL level, and in a short stint in NHL, but gets hurt for whole season.
    - The former top backup plays well enough in AHL and in a short stint in NHL to get back into the mix
    - Trade to acquire yet another NHL guy is required, due to both NHL guys being hurt during stretch run, and you simply can't use what was your AHL tandem as your NHL tandem trying to make playoffs. The guy acquired mostly lays an egg, so he won't be back.

With expansion looming, and them having 4 guys who seem like reasonable bets to be able be tandem guys in the NHL or better, I doubt they go get a goalie. This could change if Lyon leaves, but his contract should tell you something.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Ullmark has lots of upside. Much more than Koskinen. Buffalo's crease is wide open whereas Koskinen is very unlikely to earn the starting job over Talbot. Long-term, it's not even close - Buffalo is grooming Ullmark to be their next starter.
    What about Ukko Pekka Luukkonen?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Onetimer View Post
    Sparks, while great this year is unproven. He adds more questions to Philly, but few if any answers. if philly makes a move, I'm expecting a more experienced goalie - Dell/Lehner. They have Lyons, I don't see Sparks being much of an upgrade

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yohyoh View Post
    someone has to be the goalie between now and 2023/24 (when he might be ready)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Monster

Out of those names listed I'd bet Demko gets some games in. I have no faith in Sparky anymore.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Out of those names listed I'd bet Demko gets some games in. I have no faith in Sparky anymore.
    I fully expect Demko to be the clear starter for Van by January - regardless of whether he starts in the AHL or makes the team from camp.

As for Garrett Sparks. This season has been a revelation for him, professionally in and out of the net. I think the Leafs use next season as a security season to fully build his confidence with the Marlies (1 good AHL season a good goalie does not make) and then they will use him as the back up. I think Pickard will be traded next season and Woll & Scott will take the Marlies net by 19/20. (they will also draft another G this draft)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Yohyoh View Post
    I'm not a fan of him. I don't see him becoming better than Ullmark, and he's also at least 5 years away.