Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AHL goalies promoted to NHL for 2018?

Dobber Sports Expert

Default AHL goalies promoted to NHL for 2018?

Hello all, I'm building up the team in my signature and I'm looking at some options to shore up my goaltending over the offseason, just looking for some opinions as to who may be promoted to NHL backup positions

Garret Spark
    s (TOR) - Has been fantastic for the Marlies through the AHL playoffs so far and lost his waiver exemption at the end of last season. Do the Leafs send McEhlinney to the Marlies to avoid losing Sparks to a waiver claim?

Phoenix Copley (WAS) - Grubauer i
    s a RFA, Copley's one-way deal kicks in, Samsonov and Vanecek are in the system to play for the Hershey Bears and I assume the Caps want Samsonov playing. Is Grubauer moved and Copley promoted?

Jack Campbell (LA) - Wedgewood i
    s UFA and was cast aside immediately upon being aqquired anyway, Cal Petersen has taken over the Ontario Reign's crease. Does Campbell keep the No. 2 job or does LA sign someone with more experience?

Collin Delia (CHI) - Ha
    s also been playing fantasic in the AHL playoffs and has seemingly passed Berube and Glass on the Blackhawks depth chart. Forsberg cleard waivers late in the season and wasn't much more than serviceable stepping in for Crawford. Chicago can't really afford to sign anyone else, do they roll with Delia and see what they have in him?

Linu
    s Ullmark (BUF) - Botterill has said he'll play for the Sabres next season. 1B at best? What the hell is their plan?

Ville Husso and Thatcher Demko are 2 others who may play next season but they've had plenty of hype around here in other threads. I'm sure I'm overlooking other guys. Any thoughts?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: AHL goalies promoted to NHL for 2018?

When did Forsberg pass through waivers? I don't remember that happening. I think he's Chicago's backup, they liked him a lot when they acquired him and aren't ready to give up so quickly.

Ullmark will be in the NHL, he's Buffalo's goalie of the future. Not sure about the role until we know who else they have (it may not be Lehner).

Dobber Sports Expert

You're right about Forsberg. I got him confused with Berube passing through waivers around the same time Forsberg was shut down for the season with an injury. I was just focused on Delia being called up, I remembered being surprised about that.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Isn't Alex Lyon the obvious choice here. He will at the very least be given every opportunity considering there isn't much competition on the parent team.

Dobber Sports Expert

They have Elliot and Neuvirth signed through next year with Mrazek and Stolarz as RFAs and Sandstrom and Hart in the system as well. I don't see anything obvious in the Flyers organisation as far as their crease goes. Lyon is a RFA as well.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm not hearing good things about Campbell.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Deity

Ullmark is the best chance on that list. He has a good chance to be their starter next season.

Coreau is another name out there who most likely will be a full timer in Detroit.

Zane McIntyre may end up in Boston behind Rask next year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I saw on Complete Hockey News (Facebook Media) that Coreau and Booth will not be offered a contract by DET for next season.

I think we see new backup goalies potentially in DET, CAR, BUF, NYR, NYI, and DAL.

As far as fantasy goes, I see no goalie from the AHL becoming a fulltime backup next season who has actual starter potential. Picking up Ullmark types are generally a waste of a spot unless injuries happen. Id look for other targets like EDM new backup or anyone with more upside

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by red36 View Post
    I saw on Complete Hockey News (Facebook Media) that Coreau and Booth will not be offered a contract by DET for next season.

I think we see new backup goalies potentially in DET, CAR, BUF, NYR, NYI, and DAL.

As far as fantasy goes, I see no goalie from the AHL becoming a fulltime backup next season who has actual starter potential. Picking up Ullmark types are generally a waste of a spot unless injuries happen. Id look for other targets like EDM new backup or anyone with more upside
    Ullmark has lots of upside. Much more than Koskinen. Buffalo's crease is wide open whereas Koskinen is very unlikely to earn the starting job over Talbot. Long-term, it's not even close - Buffalo is grooming Ullmark to be their next starter.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Ullmark has lots of upside. Much more than Koskinen. Buffalo's crease is wide open whereas Koskinen is very unlikely to earn the starting job over Talbot. Long-term, it's not even close - Buffalo is grooming Ullmark to be their next starter.
    With Wins, GAA and SV% as categories, one might not want a Buffalo starter in the line up for the next three years...or so.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    They have Elliot and Neuvirth signed through next year with Mrazek and Stolarz as RFAs and Sandstrom and Hart in the system as well. I don't see anything obvious in the Flyers organisation as far as their crease goes. Lyon is a RFA as well.
    I think all the names you mentioned is the reason why Lyon is an obvious choice. I don't think the team has any confidence in that group (not including Hart of course). and is the reason why they may give Lyon a long look. Although, they may be better off putting something together involving one of their defenceman for one.

Dobber Sports Pro

Stolarz is a forgotten name often being out most of this year.

Put up sparkling numbers during his cup of coffee NHL time, and we can all agree Philly needs a goalie.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    With Wins, GAA and SV% as categories, one might not want a Buffalo starter in the line up for the next three years...or so.
    I'd much rather have a starter on a bad team than a backup who doesn't play enough. Probably won't be a top 10 goalie in the league but a top 30 goalie at least which is still valuable.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I'd much rather have a starter on a bad team than a backup who doesn't play enough. Probably won't be a top 10 goalie in the league but a top 30 goalie at least which is still valuable.
    But what will make him a top 30 goalie? IF we're talking real life value, then yes, the #1 in Buffalo will at least by top 31. But from a fantasy perspective where Goalies can net you negative points, I'm not so sure I want a goalie a starting goalie that may or may not cost me points in any given night. An example where having the handcuff may prove more valuable and more so if it's for a good team. (Dell to Jones... Jarry to Murray... Mack/Sparks to Andersen... Grubauer to Holtby... Hutton to Allen... hell even Khudobin to Rask)... all situations last year that I would strive for before taking a chance on an unproven prospect net minder (Being Groomed but not yet handed the keys) on a very bad team. (See Darling and Lack before him in Carolina and... well... Lehner in Buffalo).

But devils advocate to my own point above, quite often it's even harder to predict what tandem is going to pan out prior to the start of any given year.

Just takes me back to nearly every "Whos the more valuable goalie" thread that I read... to quote a fictitious move character, Goalies ... " ... are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get".

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    But what will make him a top 30 goalie? IF we're talking real life value, then yes, the #1 in Buffalo will at least by top 31. But from a fantasy perspective where Goalies can net you negative points, I'm not so sure I want a goalie a starting goalie that may or may not cost me points in any given night. An example where having the handcuff may prove more valuable and more so if it's for a good team. (Dell to Jones... Jarry to Murray... Mack/Sparks to Andersen... Grubauer to Holtby... Hutton to Allen... hell even Khudobin to Rask)... all situations last year that I would strive for before taking a chance on an unproven prospect net minder (Being Groomed but not yet handed the keys) on a very bad team. (See Darling and Lack before him in Carolina and... well... Lehner in Buffalo).

But devils advocate to my own point above, quite often it's even harder to predict what tandem is going to pan out prior to the start of any given year.

Just takes me back to nearly every "Whos the more valuable goalie" thread that I read... to quote a fictitious move character, Goalies ... " ... are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get".
    Obviously that depends on the league and the scoring system in it. But when thinking of trade value, I think a young starter on a rising team is more valuable than a pure backup regardless of the team. Many leagues have minimum start numbers with goalies and because of that, even these lesser starters have a lot of value because they actually give you a chance to win those stats in H2H match-ups.