Thread: [Signing] Kaapo Kahkonen - ELC

Dobber Sports Deity

Default [Signing] Kaapo Kahkonen - ELC

No doubt light years away, but still a stepping stone.

https://twitter.com/mnwild/status/996812770552238080

NEWS: #mnwild has signed goalie Kaapo Kahkonen to a two-year, entry-level contract.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: [Signing] Kaapo Kahkonen - ELC

He was one of the best goalies in the Finnish Liiga this season. I thought he deserved consideration for Goalie of the Year but didn't get a top 3 nomination for some reason.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thoughts on his ETA? 2020 at the earliest?
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Depends, if he has a strong rookie year in the AHL I can see him in the running for the backup job in the fall of 2019. He doesn't exactly have strong competition ahead of him and Stalock isn't a golden boy either. Then again it's even more likely they would go with another UFA vet if they move on from Stalock...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Who knows. He turns 22 in August and I normally predict somewhere around the age of 25 before I start expecting to see goalies really show us who they really are as a pro. 2020 puts him in the 24 years of age so he wouldnt be far off but I think he's still another year or two past that if I had to guess. As I say, nothing is out of the question but most goalies dont get to the NHL that early unless they are something special. I dont think he's that special but as I say, time will tell.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

He probably needs 2-3 years in the AHL which is very common for goalies. We'll know more in a year or two.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I think the combo of turning 22, and signing the ELC without any stiff competition behind Duby is going to make him relevant faster than people think. First step is to have a stellar AHL season, if that doesn't happen, then it doesn't matter what competition exists in the organization - then the back up - Stalock becomes a UFA end of 18/19 season. I really like this kid, I nabbed him last year & trying to find room for him in another pool.

The only other prospect G of note is Steve Michalek but he's a couple years older and still in the AHL. so not really competition.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

I have been covertly watching this guy for a couple of years. And have wanted to pick him up for a while. I don't think it's too early anymore now that he is signed and set to play pro over here.
    One pause I have is that Dobber really buried him in his last peospect G rankings. Any other Euro watchers know a good reason why he wouldnt be Dubnyks heir apparent?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I have been covertly watching this guy for a couple of years. And have wanted to pick him up for a while. I don't think it's too early anymore now that he is signed and set to play pro over here.
    One pause I have is that Dobber really buried him in his last peospect G rankings. Any other Euro watchers know a good reason why he wouldnt be Dubnyks heir apparent?
    I can't really offer any insight other than I picked him up too with the same thoughts you have.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I am not a Euro watcher (JP is the best one to answer that) but probably for the same reasons no one really knows if he is.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Very small sample, but he just had his 4th win in 5 games, 0 84 GAA, 0.969 SV%, 3 SO... What a great start!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Rection View Post
    Very small sample, but he just had his 4th win in 5 games, 0 84 GAA, 0.969 SV%, 3 SO... What a great start!
    His numbers now are 0.917% and 2.5 GAA in 16 games. Has come back down to Earth big time.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.