Thread: Marner vs. Larkin - who ya got?

The Great One

Default Marner vs. Larkin - who ya got?

It's my first three week stretch of cage matches in months, and again the focus in on your forwards, this time Mitch Marner and Dylan Larkin: https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home...-dylan-larkin/

Can Marner improve despite what look to be ice time ceilings? Is his PPPt output sustainable, even after what he's now shown in two straight seasons? Will he be benefited or hurt by all the talent around him? As for Larkin, was 2017-18 a stepping stone to a potential major breakout? Does Larkin's inability to produce on the PP mean he won't be able to take the next step, or that he has all the more room to do so? If he's forced to be "the guy" on a Detroit team that looks to be poised to struggle for the foreseeable future, can he step up ala MacKinnon, or will he be stuck scoring no better than the 60s?

Lots of questions were answered, and the stakes are quite high. Give this a read and come back to share your feedback, especially if you own either player.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Marner vs. Larkin - who ya got?

Can't forget Matthews publicly stated at the end of the year he'd love to play 5x5 with Marner. If that happens, not only will he see a 30-60 second increase in ice time, but moving from a Bozak C to Matthews C will have serious, positive effects on his production as well.

With so many young players on this Leafs team, I can't help but to think the evened out ice time is more in line with baseballs new-ish thinking of limiting IP's of youthful star pitches to limit stress on young arms/bodies. As they mature physically, I can see the ice time going up and up to more league norms.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I have to admit that I thought this cage match would be a joke as I linked from this thread to it to reluctantly spend 5 - 10 mins reading it.

I have to give you credit Rizzee, your analysis made me open my mind a little more toward Larkin.

That said, I agree with your assessment in that Marner takes this match. Although, I'm a little more bullish toward Marner than you I think.

Still Marner wins head to head... and if he ever lands on a 5x5 line with Matthews, the gap widens.

Still, a better read than I expected Rizzee. Thanks

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Marner wins this clearly at the moment. while babcock's spread of ice time isn't great, at least one can point to enough scoring & depth on Toronto, that explains his usage.

Larkin has a fair amount of upside if Detroit gets a competent coach, which I'm pretty solidly convinced the current guy is not.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Marner easily for me. One year soon he's going to pop and you won't want to miss it. Larkins good but won't be in the same tier.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks for a good read! In a goal heavy multicat league I think it's really close between the two of them.
    8 team keeper league, scoring cats F/D: G, A, PPG, PPP, SHG, SHP, GWG, HT, SOG, Hit, Blk, FW/FL. G: GS, W, GA, SV, SHO

Pittsburgh Top Cats
    F: Malkin, Crosby, Eichel, McDavid, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Robertson, A. Svechnikov, Zibanejad, Kaprizov, Fiala, Keller, Thompson, Bedard, Cozens, Cooley
    D: Letang, Dobson, Hamilton, Makar, D. Toews, Sanderson, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Andersen, Kuemper

Farm:
    F: ​Quinn, Nazar, Firkus, Fantilli, Benson, Donato, Dumais, Guenther, Lardis, Nichushkin, J. Perron, C. Ritchie, Yager, Ziemmer, But
    D: L. Hughes, Addison, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Nikishin, S. Morrow, Nelson, Brzustewicz
    G: Raanta, Hofer, Korpisalo