Thread: Ghost/Provorov/Giordano/Hamilton/Krug/Ellis

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Ghost/Provorov/Giordano/Hamilton/Krug/Ellis

So heading into next year, I made some deadline moves to take a run at the championship. Unfortunately blew a big lead on Sunday in the semi-finals to lose the tie-break in h2h matchup. I am left with some tough decisions as we only keep 8 players year over year. My team is in the signature for reference.

I obviously have some no brainers for keepers (Malkin, Marchand, Forsberg). In our league goalies are valuable as we require minimum of 5 games played per week, so I will be keeping both Rinne and Smith as well. I am also likely to keep Radulov also. That leaves me two spots for defenceman. I hate not keeping Tkachuk but I don't think it makes sense.

I am wondering with which 2 should I keep out of...

Ghost
    Provorov
    Hamilton
    Gio
    Krug
    Ellis

Ghost - by far best offensive option and stud on PP
    Provorov - Best in peripherals and still had 17 goals, only 5 PP pts, he's trapped behind ghost on the PP
    Hamilton - Offensively great, 17 goals, picks up some PIMS but 2nd among all D in shots and 14th in the league
    Krug - next best offensively after Ghost, had 59 points but shot totals dropped and not great in peripherals
    Gio - Contributes very well across the board and is elite level in blocked shots
    Ellis - Had 59 point pace with 32 in 44 games

I know things can happen in the off-season to sway but I am having a very difficult time in nailing these ones down. It seems each day I plan to keep different d men.

Which 2 would choose and why? and as a little add on, would you keep Tkachuk over any of the forwards or D listed above?

Thanks in advance,
    12 Team, H2H, 8 Keepers, (G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, Shots, Hits, Blocks)

F - Malkin, Marchand, Forsberg, Radulov, Tkachuk, Gallagher, Connor, Hischier, Guentzel, Meier, Backlund
    D - Gostisbehere, Krug, Giordano, Hamilton, Ellis, Provorov, Parayko,
    G - Rinne, Smith

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Ghost/Provorov/Giordano/Hamilton/Krug/Ellis

You go hard on Philly. Ghost gives you the best offensive upside & Provorov gives you the most complete multi-cat player on your list. Someone should be drooling over acquiring Krug, I'd use him as trade bait and package him with who would be your 7/8 keeper as an upgrade.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Magnificent One

Any chance on packaging one of these guys with Smith for a netminder upgrade? Do that and you also have one less d-men to wrestle over keeping.

I'd be wary of trading or losing Krug. Here's what I wrote about him in a fairly recent Goldipucks column:

It took Krug until only game 67 this season to best his career high of 51 points, and he can ? and more importantly should ? score at an even higher pace going forward. Krug?s trends are all pointing in the right direction, as not only is this the third straight season that he?s scoring more, but his IPP, which had been in the 50s for two seasons before dropping down to 44% in 2015-16, rose by nine percentage points last season and is on track to climb again for 2017-18.

He's also been somewhat unlucky, having hit five posts, tied for fourth most among all rearguards. Moreover, his PP usage is up slightly versus last season as is his PP SOG per game rate and yet he?s scoring slightly less on the PP, which should give him a few more points in the near future. And although his secondary assists rate is a bit higher than his combined rate over the past four seasons, he?s still tallied more primary assists than secondary plus he?s shooting the puck at a healthy rate of 2.56 per game.

But perhaps most importantly he?s benefitting from, rather than being hurt by, the presence of rookie phenom Charlie McAvoy. Krug is to McAvoy as Shayne Gostisbehere is to Ivan Provorov, where the younger phenom is being tasked with tougher minutes, leaving the offensively gifted rearguard with a dream deployment.

In the case of Krug, the result is him taking the ice for over two-thirds of all Boston?s PP minutes (sixth-highest percentage among all NHL d-men), but not even a tenth of its man advantage time, leading to 98.3% of his TOI spent at either even strength or on the PP. What could be even better than that? Try an OZ% of 64.7%, which is easily tops among all non-rookie NHL regulars.

In short, Boston makes no qualms about Krug?s purpose ? he?s deployed to help score; and that, plus the high powered Bs offense, will indeed let him rack up even more points than he?s on pace for thus far. It?s the kind of stuff poolies dream of when they draft a scoring defenseman in fantasy.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Gostisbehere is a no brainer for me. The second option is close between Provorov and Krug. I personally like Krug and hes been only getting better.

I may be a bit bias since i have Ghost and Krug on my points only roster.

Dobber Sports Novice

That's a very good idea, It's hard to get premium goaltending in this league, however, I am sure a Smith/Krug/Hamilton or Smith/Krug/Tkachuk would be intriguing for someone.

Thanks,

F - Malkin, Marchand, Forsberg, Radulov, Tkachuk, Gallagher, Connor, Hischier, Guentzel, Meier, Backlund
    G - Rinne, Smith

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I wouldn't want to keep Smith, so I'd definitely look to package him, as has been suggested. I'd be fine getting an upgraded keeper at any spot, not just goalie.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Gost is the no brainer.

I could see keeping Krug, Provorov, or Hamilton here. I think Hamilton could easily have a big year with better deployment and a new system. That said I probably go with Krug as the safest bet.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously I'd happily trade any of Krug Hamilton or provo to make the decision easier by elimination. Not sure if that's an option.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Legend

Any chance to see if Hamilton gets traded?
    I like Ghost for sure. Also like the option of packing two others for an upgrade on D or goal. But in a Keep-8, not sure it will be easy to pull off a 2-for.
    If I had to pick, I would go Ghost and Provorov. I think Provorov is just too good to stay in the 40-45 range forever, and he does everything.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would pick

1) Ghost
    2) Hamilton
    3) Krug

Hamilton wasn't even on the top PP for most of the year and it was disastrous overall. Peters produced some great specialty teams numbers both offensively/defensively so I expect a big year from him. Love Krug, hes a points machine, though a bit worried about McAvoy long term and Krugs overall play, he needs like a Methot style shutdown dman to release him offensively.

Not to hijack, but points only would you keep OEL or Krug keeper league?
    - Keeper League / 10 Keepers / 1 PT per G or A / 2 PT per W - 2 PT per SO -

F: Rantanen, Monahan, Barkov, Aho, Wheeler, Keller, Nylander J. Hughes, Reinhart. W. Karlsson, Konecny, Rust, E. Staal, Killorn, Getzlaf,
    D: Krug, Gustafsson, Provorov, Morrissey, DeAngelo
    G: Andersen, Jarry, Rittich, Murray

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Ghost, Provorov, Hamilton.
    It's two of those three... and only you know, based on league settings.
    In some leagues, HITS & BLKS are key (underappreciated) cats.
    In H2H, a cat is a cat, don't forget that.
    BLKs have to come from your D, so rostering a non-BLK D can hurt.
    You want to stay half-competitive in most cats during the year so you can trade to swing for enough power to win that in future H2H match.
    So, I think Provorov becomes a must-keep.

Toss-up between Ghost & Hamilton... both are exceptional.
    PHI is set up to be a real NHL powerhouse over next 3-7 years, so I think I lean towards Ghost.

Dobber Sports Novice

thanks for all the feedback, it appears that most here have come to the conclusion that the decision really lies with 2 of the following...

Ghost
    Provorov
    Krug
    Hamilton

For me I'll have to feel out the demand here and look at trading options, 2 for 1 could be hard but I'm sure I could get some additional draft picks back for these guys either way. I'm going to look at the idea of moving Krug plus to upgrade in net. I personally like Hamilton over Krug as an extremely high volume shooter plus he picks up more PIMS.

G - Rinne, Smith

Dobber Sports Monster

Ghost and Krug for me. Provorov is close but hasn't performed to Krug's level yet.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
    thanks for all the feedback, it appears that most here have come to the conclusion that the decision really lies with 2 of the following...

Ghost
    Provorov
    Krug
    Hamilton

For me I'll have to feel out the demand here and look at trading options, 2 for 1 could be hard but I'm sure I could get some additional draft picks back for these guys either way. I'm going to look at the idea of moving Krug plus to upgrade in net. I personally like Hamilton over Krug as an extremely high volume shooter plus he picks up more PIMS.
    I still think I'd like 3 of those dropping Smith, or the upgrade on Smith option. I think I value Krug the least, but I'm not in any multi-cat leagues right now, so exactly who does how well in what in your league will matter.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.