Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

  1. #1
    Zorro's Avatar
    Zorro is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    18,837
    Location
    Canada
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Jedi

    Default Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    This is a play off of the Drake Batherson post.. How would you rank Nick Suzuki within the top 10 of the 2018 draft??
    Points only league!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

  2. #2
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Superstar

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    I'd probably have him #4 in points-only.
    Writer & scout at DobberProspects, focusing on Finnish Liiga, Swedish SHL, and the Florida Panthers. Find me on Twitter @JokkeNevalainen

    >> My latest Liiga report & latest SHL report

    "I never trust people who are 'sure' of things. I trust those who are temporarily confident in their current interpretations." - Dr. Andreo Spina

  3. #3
    Location
    Canada
    Rep Power
    50

    The Great One

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I'd probably have him #4 in points-only.
    This assessment from the prospect guru makes me smile!
    Team:
    2xC - Tavares, Matthews, Malkin, E. Staal, Namestnikov(C/LW)
    2xL - Hall, Landeskog a/o JVR, Killorn
    2xR - Kucherov, Marner (RW/C), M.Stone, R.Smith(LW/RW), T. Johnson (C/RW)
    4xD - Karlsson, OEL, Josi, Letang, Suter, Myers
    2xG - Andersen, Jones, Dell, Mrazek, Bernier
    2xUtil - Malkin, Stone (RW)
    12 Team Keeper league with Yahoo

    Roster (14 Kept Players): 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2G,2Util (Can keep a 3rd G with Util)
    SEASON SCORING: 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,1U,2G
    (Weighted Category Points: see below).

    Skaters -
    (Points: G a/o A) 6
    (+/-) 3
    (PIM) 1
    (PPP) 5
    (GWG) 5

    Goaltenders
    Wins 5
    Goals against -9
    Saves 1
    Shutout 10

  4. #4
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Immortal

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    Easily before Batherson and many others in this years draft class.


    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

    25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

    Stamkos, Tavares, JaBenn, Couture, Wheeler, Lee, Turris, Letang, Kucherov, Byfuglien, Burns, Zuccarello, Hoffman, JSchwartz, KPalmieri, KConnor, Athanasiou, Bjorkstrand, Point, KHayes, Konecny, Vrana, NSchmaltz

    G- Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky


    "Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

  5. #5
    Location
    Toronto
    Rep Power
    44

    Dobber Sports Expert

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    I'd agree with JP's assessment, I'd maybe have him over Zadina whose stats are pretty unremarkable...

  6. #6
    lucafen4's Avatar
    lucafen4 is online now
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    9,454
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Rep Power
    50

    The Great One

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    4th in pts only makes sense.. I mean for forwards, after Svech, Zadina & Wahlstrom there seems to be a drop off for forward production. Lots of D fill the top 10, Tkachuk's stock is dropping. Then we're into Kotkaniemi, Hayton, Farabee & Veleno. If position matters, then Dahlin gets bumped and possibly Boqvist or Hughes, maybe both? That's really league settings specific.

    Right now, I'd have him 5th - I'm including Dahlin in my top 4. I'm really high on Wahlstrom and think he's got a higher ceiling than Suzuki... and maybe even Zadina.

    In a year from now, I expect similar threads on Hayton & Farabee.
    Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why. - H.S.T.

  7. #7
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Superstar

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    4th in pts only makes sense.. I mean for forwards, after Svech, Zadina & Wahlstrom there seems to be a drop off for forward production. Lots of D fill the top 10, Tkachuk's stock is dropping. Then we're into Kotkaniemi, Hayton, Farabee & Veleno. If position matters, then Dahlin gets bumped and possibly Boqvist or Hughes, maybe both? That's really league settings specific.

    Right now, I'd have him 5th - I'm including Dahlin in my top 4. I'm really high on Wahlstrom and think he's got a higher ceiling than Suzuki... and maybe even Zadina.

    In a year from now, I expect similar threads on Hayton & Farabee.
    I had Wahlstrom behind Suzuki but they're close and Wahlstrom would have the edge if there was bonus for goals.

    It's just difficult to put defensemen ahead of someone like Suzuki. Dahlin is the only exception for me. The 4F-1D PP system NHL teams usually prefer make defensemen very risky early in fantasy drafts.

    I don't see Hayton and Farabee reaching the Suzuki level as prospects. They're both reliable two-way players but haven't shown high-end offensive abilities.

    The 2017 draft was considered somewhat weak because it didn't have a franchise player at the top but it produced a lot of high-end fantasy hockey prospects. The 2018 class doesn't look very promising in comparison because it's very 'D' heavy.
    Writer & scout at DobberProspects, focusing on Finnish Liiga, Swedish SHL, and the Florida Panthers. Find me on Twitter @JokkeNevalainen

    >> My latest Liiga report & latest SHL report

    "I never trust people who are 'sure' of things. I trust those who are temporarily confident in their current interpretations." - Dr. Andreo Spina

  8. #8
    lucafen4's Avatar
    lucafen4 is online now
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    9,454
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Rep Power
    50

    The Great One

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I had Wahlstrom behind Suzuki but they're close and Wahlstrom would have the edge if there was bonus for goals.

    It's just difficult to put defensemen ahead of someone like Suzuki. Dahlin is the only exception for me. The 4F-1D PP system NHL teams usually prefer make defensemen very risky early in fantasy drafts.

    I don't see Hayton and Farabee reaching the Suzuki level as prospects. They're both reliable two-way players but haven't shown high-end offensive abilities.

    The 2017 draft was considered somewhat weak because it didn't have a franchise player at the top but it produced a lot of high-end fantasy hockey prospects. The 2018 class doesn't look very promising in comparison because it's very 'D' heavy.
    It does appear to have produced or soon to have produced a lot of high end prospects... that said, going back a year, last years draft was to be considered a write off and not 1st line players outside of Hischier & Patrick were expected to exist. Looking at Hayton & Farabee now, I'm in agreement, but in a year from now - I'm expecting those two to be two of the biggest risers in terms potential and fantasy ceiling.
    Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why. - H.S.T.

  9. #9
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Superstar

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    It does appear to have produced or soon to have produced a lot of high end prospects... that said, going back a year, last years draft was to be considered a write off and not 1st line players outside of Hischier & Patrick were expected to exist. Looking at Hayton & Farabee now, I'm in agreement, but in a year from now - I'm expecting those two to be two of the biggest risers in terms potential and fantasy ceiling.
    There are a few prospects in this draft class who could have their value skyrocket in fantasy hockey but I don't see Hayton and Farabee being those guys... But I also don't want to give away my sleepers at this point.

    Looking back, I remember thinking that at least Glass, Pettersson, Vilardi and Suzuki had top-line upside. The players who have surprised me the most have been Thomas and Frost. I think we talked about the 2017 draft class having a bunch of prospects with similar ceiling but only Hischier and Patrick being NHL ready, so I'm pretty sure we were thinking that they all have top-line upside but the waiting period is different for the rest.
    Writer & scout at DobberProspects, focusing on Finnish Liiga, Swedish SHL, and the Florida Panthers. Find me on Twitter @JokkeNevalainen

    >> My latest Liiga report & latest SHL report

    "I never trust people who are 'sure' of things. I trust those who are temporarily confident in their current interpretations." - Dr. Andreo Spina

  10. #10
    GoNucks's Avatar
    GoNucks is online now
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,258
    Rep Power
    31

    Dobber Sports Pro

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    How close is Wahlstrom to being NHL ready?
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

    Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

    12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

    Twitter @JustPuckIt_

    https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

  11. #11
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Superstar

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post
    How close is Wahlstrom to being NHL ready?
    Probably one-and-done in college but could be 2 (like Boeser).
    Writer & scout at DobberProspects, focusing on Finnish Liiga, Swedish SHL, and the Florida Panthers. Find me on Twitter @JokkeNevalainen

    >> My latest Liiga report & latest SHL report

    "I never trust people who are 'sure' of things. I trust those who are temporarily confident in their current interpretations." - Dr. Andreo Spina

  12. #12
    lucafen4's Avatar
    lucafen4 is online now
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    9,454
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Rep Power
    50

    The Great One

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    There are a few prospects in this draft class who could have their value skyrocket in fantasy hockey but I don't see Hayton and Farabee being those guys... But I also don't want to give away my sleepers at this point.

    Looking back, I remember thinking that at least Glass, Pettersson, Vilardi and Suzuki had top-line upside. The players who have surprised me the most have been Thomas and Frost. I think we talked about the 2017 draft class having a bunch of prospects with similar ceiling but only Hischier and Patrick being NHL ready, so I'm pretty sure we were thinking that they all have top-line upside but the waiting period is different for the rest.
    I used a late 3rd round pick in a 14 team league to draft Vilardi last year - that's how this one league viewed last years draft prospects. There was a tonne of negative media talk about how weak that draft was. The media coverage likely screwed numerous owners from trading away 1st round picks for peanuts due to he low ceiling of most players in that draft.

    I'm sure at some point you've previously discussed some of those sleepers. I've got some other sleepers, but had the same thing been said about Frost or Thomas last year as I've said about Hayton/Farabee, it may have been met with a similar response. Dunno, what it is... I just think they've got another level to hit.
    Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why. - H.S.T.

  13. #13
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Superstar

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I used a late 3rd round pick in a 14 team league to draft Vilardi last year - that's how this one league viewed last years draft prospects. There was a tonne of negative media talk about how weak that draft was. The media coverage likely screwed numerous owners from trading away 1st round picks for peanuts due to he low ceiling of most players in that draft.

    I'm sure at some point you've previously discussed some of those sleepers. I've got some other sleepers, but had the same thing been said about Frost or Thomas last year as I've said about Hayton/Farabee, it may have been met with a similar response. Dunno, what it is... I just think they've got another level to hit.
    Yeah, a lot of people fell into the "this draft class doesn't have a superstar at the top so it's weak" nonsense and probably regret trading their 1st round picks at this point.

    You're absolutely right about Thomas and Frost - they were supposed to be average offensive players - and you could be right about Farabee and Hayton as well. But both of those two are likely going to be top 15 picks this summer, so it's just difficult for me to see their value skyrocket much from there. Thomas and Frost were late 1st rounders which made it easier for their value to go way up.
    Writer & scout at DobberProspects, focusing on Finnish Liiga, Swedish SHL, and the Florida Panthers. Find me on Twitter @JokkeNevalainen

    >> My latest Liiga report & latest SHL report

    "I never trust people who are 'sure' of things. I trust those who are temporarily confident in their current interpretations." - Dr. Andreo Spina

  14. #14
    Zorro's Avatar
    Zorro is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    18,837
    Location
    Canada
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Jedi

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    All opinions are appreciated.. Thanks guys/gals for taking the time today to express your thoughts!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

  15. #15
    jaga86's Avatar
    jaga86 is online now
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    0

    Dobber Sports Prodigy

    Default Re: Nick Suzuki vs. 2018 draft class??

    As a suzuki owner in a points only dynasty, with the first two picks in this years entry draft, I?d rank them:

    Dahlin
    Svechnikov
    Zadina
    Suzuki
    Wahlstrom
    Tkachuk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •