Thread: Looking for more input on my inherited prospects- Rate em!!

The Great One

Default Looking for more input on my inherited prospects- Rate em!!

So I did some pretty deep dive research last year but like many peopl;e my research tended to drift towards guys I owned by the end of the season. Im re-i9nheriting a team I won a championship with four years ago and I have some prospects and young guns Im not as familiar with. Its a goal and sog weighted league and Goalies and especially D-men are weighed very heavily in terms of scoring (sta D outscopres the top forward options).

Looking for input on:

G- Demko, Raanta
    D- MacAvoy, Heiskanen, Juulsen
    F- Gusev, Bellows, F Gauthier, Veselainen

rep cannon loaded...

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Looking for more input on my inherited prospects- Rate em!!

Demko has the potential to become a top 5 goalie in the NHL in 5 years. by end of 18/19 he should be the Canucks starting goalie and 19/20 - he'll be the next Helle/Vasil
    Raanta - if the team gets better in front of him. He should ascend to Martin Jones - Ben Bishop level with Quick upside. I'm super stoked about Raanta over the next 4yrs on the Yotes

McAvoy - 50pt dman and coming soon
    Heiskanen - beast... he'll quickly become the #2 offensive option behind Klingberg in Dallas - 50pts upside
    Juulsen - I'm not sold on him offensively. I see him as a solid 2-way defender but more of a 30-35/38pt level, solid 3/4 in a couple years

Gusev - he could come over at 27 and put up 80pts immediately. but will he ever come over? So much doubt that I don't even think he holds a lot of trade value
    Bellows - he's got a wicked NHL ready shot. 30-30 and Jeff Skinner pops into my head for ceiling - not necessarily a comparison on style of play
    F. Gauthier - 4th line C - if you don't count face offs, he's dumpable. 30-35pts (ultra deep leagues he could hold limited value)
    Vesalainen - is going to be really good, but in Wpg he's in one of the deepest prospect pools/teams in the league. NHL ice-time/ opportunity will be hard earned, tough to come by. The best F prospect you have listed by a fair bit.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Demko has the potential to become a top 5 goalie in the NHL in 5 years. by end of 18/19 he should be the Canucks starting goalie and 19/20 - he'll be the next Helle/Vasil
    Raanta - if the team gets better in front of him. He should ascend to Martin Jones - Ben Bishop level with Quick upside. I'm super stoked about Raanta over the next 4yrs on the Yotes

McAvoy - 50pt dman and coming soon
    Heiskanen - beast... he'll quickly become the #2 offensive option behind Klingberg in Dallas - 50pts upside
    Juulsen - I'm not sold on him offensively. I see him as a solid 2-way defender but more of a 30-35/38pt level, solid 3/4 in a couple years

Gusev - he could come over at 27 and put up 80pts immediately. but will he ever come over? So much doubt that I don't even think he holds a lot of trade value
    Bellows - he's got a wicked NHL ready shot. 30-30 and Jeff Skinner pops into my head for ceiling - not necessarily a comparison on style of play
    F. Gauthier - 4th line C - if you don't count face offs, he's dumpable. 30-35pts (ultra deep leagues he could hold limited value)
    Vesalainen - is going to be really good, but in Wpg he's in one of the deepest prospect pools/teams in the league. NHL ice-time/ opportunity will be hard earned, tough to come by. The best F prospect you have listed by a fair bit.
    I really couldn't have said this any better. This might be, point-for-point, exactly how I feel.
    Emu, you have some nice pups there. McAvoy and Heiskanen will be your future top pairing for a long time. Cholly McAvoy is going to be a special player - reminds me a lot of Drew Doughty, down to the build, the right shot, skating style and chubby face.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think Demko spends most of next season in the AHL but should make the jump to NHL starter soon afer that (sitting on the bench does nothing to help his development).

Heiskanen will play in the NHL and has high upside but may not put up big points in his rookie year.

I don't see Gusev signing with Vegas, and they hold his rights forever because the NHL CBA is stupid.

Vesalainen is crossing the pond this summer but will most likely spend next season in the AHL. Very good upside, I like him much more than Bellows (difficult to compare to Gusev because of his situation, and Freddy Gauthier is worthless in fantasy hockey).

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I think Demko spends most of next season in the AHL but should make the jump to NHL starter soon afer that (sitting on the bench does nothing to help his development).

Heiskanen will play in the NHL and has high upside but may not put up big points in his rookie year.

I don't see Gusev signing with Vegas, and they hold his rights forever because the NHL CBA is stupid.

Vesalainen is crossing the pond this summer but will most likely spend next season in the AHL. Very good upside, I like him much more than Bellows (difficult to compare to Gusev because of his situation, and Freddy Gauthier is worthless in fantasy hockey).
    I see Demko up by Xmas... but he should stay down. This needs to be the worst season in franchise history. Canucks time to tank for Hughes. Seriously. they need to do nothing, protect the kids and just suck fumes all season

Dobber Sports Ace

G- Demko - One of the best Goalie prospects out there. Could be a top notch keeper growing with a good young team.
    Raanta - I think he's shown how good he can be for a relatively poor Yotes team. As they get better so should he. Similar career trajectory to Dubnyk. He's probably one of the best values in fantasy. I think a lot of owners are still valuing him too low. There aren't many other 28 year old Goaltenders I would rather have. I don't think he will ever be a top 5 GK. But I could see him working his way into the 6-15 range, he was probably there this season in many leagues. Wins might be his worst category just because of the team he's on. A Raanta/Demko GK combo in dynasty/keeper is a very very solid duo IMO looking toward the future.
    D- MacAvoy - Star D man. Not many young D I would rather have.
    Heiskanen - Potential to be a star as well. After Dahlin, he's probably my next highest ranked D prospect not yet in the NHL.
    Juulsen - I don't expect huge offensive numbers. Could help in HIts, Blocks and maybe PIM. If he can develop more offensively could change things but I wouldn't bank on it.
    F- Gusev - He can be very very good but isn't exactly young. Really tough to say with a player like him. But I think he's worth the risk.
    Bellows - I like him more than most probably. He has a fantastic shot and plays a physical game. He's exactly what the Isles need on a line with Barzal. He could be a 30 to 40 goal scorer eventually. He's also a good playmaker where I could see him getting 30 to 40 assists. Long term I do think he can be a 70 point player. However, his real value could be in multi cat leagues that includes PIM and HIT. He should put up good peripherals. He's definitely a power forward with a high scoring upside. These types of players are invaluable in multi cat leagues. They also sometimes take longer to develop. Personally, I think a lot of people are sleeping on him. He's someone I've been targeting in Dynasty as he's come cheap or free yet with the same/similar upside to a lot of other pricey youngsters. I have him ranked in my top 20 Dynasty prospects. I saw someone compare him to Skinner. Offensively, I could see him turning out like Skinner, except with great peripherals. That is the difference between being ranked 150th or 30th relative to specific league scoring. In that sense, I think he can be so much more valuable than Skinner probably is.
    Gauthier - I don't like him at all. I think at best he will be a 3rd line player, likely 4th. It's early, but I do think he's a bust relative to his draft position. Personally, I don't think he's worth the roster spot compared to many other prospects.
    Veselainen - Big Risk/Reward guy. Has a high ceiling but not certain about his chances of achieving it. I do think he's worth the gamble though. Could take him a while to contribute and break out.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Deity

Demko - Without question of the better goalie prospects out there. That being said, until he shows us he can do it in the NHL with any regularity, that's all he is to me. Lets not forget the guy he's eventually replacing, Markstrom, was also once one of the best goalie prospects out there, if not considered THE best goalie prospect at the time. Until they get to the NHL, I keep my expectations in check with goalie prospects. Sometimes you get a Vasilevskiy, sometimes you get Markstrom (or worse). None the less, name value is definitely high with this guy at this time.

McAvoy/Heiskanen - We are already seeing McAvoy and his skill level at the NHL level. He was easily one of the better prospects this year and had it not for his injury later in the season, he was a potential Calder candidate. Heiskanen looked fantastic this year and looks ready for the NHL today.

Juulsen - Montreal is desperate for help on the backend and he will get plenty of opportunities to succeed there. I think he's a good prospect. Not a great one, but a good one.

Gusev - He may come over, he may not. I gave up on him a while ago and will let others continue to wait.

Bellows - I am a fan of this kid and grabbed him in a lot of my fantasy drafts at the time. He's a couple years out but could be an excellent NHL player when he gets there.

Gauthier - As mentioned, unless you have FOW as a category. this guy isn't worth keeping.

Vesalainen - An excellent prospect drafted by the wrong team for his future IMO. Winnipeg is flush with quality young wingers so this will make it tougher for him to succeed compared to his chances on most other teams. I love this kid but hate his opportunity situation.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Omg sorry Julien Gauthier f I'm Carolina. Assuming value is low still...

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Omg sorry Julien Gauthier f I'm Carolina. Assuming value is low still...
    Massively higher than Puzzles. He's a project, power forwards usually are. But he's got 30+g potential... 50-60pt upside in most years. If all goes well, 60+ in best years

The Great One

Oh wow nice- the Bellows love is a revelation. I seem to have been sleeping on him a bit..

Dobber Sports Deity

I like JGauthier a lot as well. 16 goals in his rookie year as a Pro is quite respectable. Patience needs to be shown but he's worth holding and definitely a better prospect to hold over Freddy Gauthier.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."