Thread: Cap Dynasty: Scheifele + 5th Overall Entry Draft VS Subban + Radulov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Cap Dynasty: Scheifele + 5th Overall Entry Draft VS Subban + Radulov

Different league than sig. NHL Cap+15M, H2H Points - G:1.5, A:1, BLK+HIT:0.1, PIM:0.1, +/-:0.5, SOG:0.1, PPP:0.5, SHP:1 Defense get a bonus 0.5/point

I currently have Scheifele and the pick. My team is definitely competing this upcoming season, however I'm already going to have to free up space this offseason cap wise. Is this trade worth it if it means I have to dump ~9M extra? That would mean dropping (might be able to get a minimal return as well) 2+ of Zetterberg, Little, and Leddy
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Cap Dynasty: Scheifele + 5th Overall Entry Draft VS Subban + Radulov

If you have to move $$ already, this doesn't make sense. an extra $9m is a lot of cap to cut. Scheifele is not someone I would be inclined to move either.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Cap Dynasty: Scheifele + 5th Overall Entry Draft VS Subban + Radulov

I don't like dealing Scheifele and that pick, which will be a good forward or potentially explosive D (at very little salary). Then you need to chop 9 mil on top of it?? No thanks.

Dobber Sports Genius

Both Subban and Radulov have been offered by the GMs around my two 20 team cap dynasty leagues for over a year and no one is biting on either. Food for thought. These are two guys who are going to be tricky to move in the future as you will have a limited marketplace to sell them.

$6M for Radulov - who is at his peak sell high. You will never trade Radulov for what you are about to pay for him.
    $9M for Subban - who is a stud but commands a monster salary for a defenseman

As for Scheifele, he has one of the best value contracts in the NHL (and your cap league). If you are moving him it should be for multiple value contracts.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Sage

Pass in a cap league.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Superstar

G:1.5, A:1, BLK+HIT:0.1, PIM:0.1, +/-:0.5, SOG:0.1, PPP:0.5, SHP:1 Defense get a bonus 0.5/point

Scheifele puts up ~135 @ 6.125 = 22 fan points per $1 mil
    (based on a lower S% than his past 2 years)

Subban puts up ~164 @9.00 = 18 fan points per $1 mil
    Radulov puts up ~139 @ 6.25 = 22 fan points per $1 mil

Subban is clearly the best producer of the three in this league as he gets the point bonus as a defenseman, and brings excellent additional value in SOG, HIT, BLK.
    Scheifele is really a 70 point player when his S% is in line with his career and he brings lower SOG, HIT, BLK totals.
    Radulove produces similarly to Scheifele, however is much older, and may start to decline.

However, cap and age needs to be considered here as well. If you have no cap problems, I take this deal easy.

But, you've said you would need to shed ~$9 million. Just do the math with regards to FPts/$1 mil.
    - If Radulov/Subban/Drops provides higher FPts/$1 mil enough to offset the age difference, then you can justify this trade
    - If Schiefele/5th overall/Keeps provides higher FPts/$1 mil or it's close enough that age matters, then you keep what you have

The 5th overall will bring a good prospect with control on a low sallary, which will be more or less valuable depending on how many teams are in the league and how deep it is.

Basically the question is will the 5th overall and whoever you would drop provide more than the 18FPts/$1 mil that Subban gives you.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Hard pass

Dobber Sports Pro

Not even close. Easy no, considering the great deal of a contract Scheifele is on, AND that you'd be giving up several years of cheap production from your pick, AND considering the ages of all players, AND especially that you'd have to drop 2-3 players for pretty much free.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Appreciate the advice, I'll be passing
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Genius

Question: Where did Subban rank in your set up among all defencemen?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He ranked #6 for D, and #32 overall

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If you had cap room, this might make sense. You don't have the room, so it doesn't. Without the pick it's certainly better, but I doubt it happens without the pick.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Genius

[begin ramble]

I am having a change of mind on this one. PK Subban is a stud and having a stud D man who scores and gets the peripherals is one step closer to a championship. Yes, I want PK to cost less than $9M but ?\_(ツ)_/? he is what he is. You mention having Little and Zetterburg. If you have to cut them outright to make way a much better player than so be it.

All this said... I don't like the offer of Radulov/Subban for Scheifele/5th OA 2018 pick offer.

If the Subban owner is shopping him see what else he might take. Just the 5th pick? Subban + for Scheifele?

[For those not well versed in cap leagues]
    You only have so many dollars to go around and only so many big money contracts you can hold. There is a threshold of diminishing returns when you start having too many star players. For every $9M player, you have to have 2 players on ELCs or cheap bridge deals. Many GMs end up in capped out situations leaving the only deals they can make are dollar-dollar deals. Trading $9M player is difficult as there are not many buyers. GM's end up with too much middling talent and end up with a team that is expensive and average.

In the OP's league, players like Little and Zetterberg are available from time to time on the WW. "So cheap they are free!" Players like Radulov, as good as they are don't fetch "real NHL world" trade returns because "free" players exist. Overpaying for these type players have a rippling effect on the rest of your team.

Forum member Pengwin7 talks about grouping your team into groups of three players. If your fantasy team consists of 24 players and you have $95M to spend you have on average $3.96M per player, or $12M (rounded) for each group of 3 players. Look at your squad as 8 groups of 3 players with each group having a salary cap of $12M. I'm paraphrasing but this is the gist of it. I respect the advice and who it comes from.

The contracts that you want to hold in cap leagues are:
    a) value contracts - players whose performance exceeds they salary. These can be rookie contracts, bridge contracts, or star players on below market value deals.
    b) elite studs - pay the superstars their money and find players to fill in around them
    c) stat stuffing fillers - someone on the team has to make $1M... why not have that be a, for example, Mark Borowiecki-type player (someone who always hits and gets PIMs while blocking a few shots along the way).

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Elite dmen are harder to come by than high end forwards. If you can shed cap elsewhere I would do it, subban has shined in Nashville as all of their dmen seem to.