Thread: Carlson & Holtby

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Carlson & Holtby

I have both, and before this season thought I'd have them for at least a few years. I love the return of Holtby in playoffs, but that didn't help the fantasy season. I really enjoyed the scoring burst by Carlson too. But, now I wonder what Washington will be able to do to shore up the defense - especially if they can't even sign Carlson. That great season might end up biting me in the butt now that he can ask for the moon.

My fear is that they make a few more sacrifices to sign Carlson and then become even less helpful to Holtby's stats... and I sink further down the ranks. Or they lose Carlson and Holtby really takes a dump even though Carlson will be ok in new diggs.

I am hoping Holtby just had a hiccup season, but Caps gave up the greatest number of high percentage scoring chances in the league this year. Can't see that improving given the contract status.

Am I over thinking, or should I consider moving one or both of these guys?

Anyone have the inside scoop on this situation?

thanks!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Carlson & Holtby

Hey j,

I don't think anyone has inside scoop. I mean, Carlson is a pending UFA, so unless anyone here is his realtor, agent, or has keys to his diary drawer, there is no hand-tipping to be had.
    I think the Caps will make a play to re-sign him. I also think Toronto and Vegas will be two teams who make strong pitches. Point being - I think he'll produce in most situations.

Holtby, need to wait and see. Again, more speculation. He's really bounced back in the playoffs and I don't see the Caps going with a 1B option and / or a rookie like Samsonov. Unless the Caps are blown away by an offer, I think the Holtby trade speculation was a bit premature.

I guess my best advice would be to wait until the offseason if you can to see what happens, then make a more informed decision. I wouldn't panic now and work yourself into a frenzy where you jump the gun and make a regrettable decision.

Big Daddy

Carlson will be productive whether he stays in Washington or signs with another club in the summer.
    Holtby won't be as bad as he was this year in the regular season and is already showing he is still a top goaltending in the league these playoffs.
    Keep both.

The Great One

I would also hold Holtby. Instead of worrying about him falling off a cliff (again) next year, I'd be more worried about selling him at a significant discount. Even it the Caps lose Carlson, they will find a way to shore up their defence.

Dobber Sports Guru

Holtby had a rough season, but I'm anticipating a bounce back.
    Some bad luck for him too -- zero shutouts is an aberration (I hope!).

If Grubauer moves on (expected), I'd actually anticipate Holtby could put up a lot of starts again--and that helps.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Holtby had a rough season, but I'm anticipating a bounce back.
    Some bad luck for him too -- zero shutouts is an aberration (I hope!).

If Grubauer moves on (expected), I'd actually anticipate Holtby could put up a lot of starts again--and that helps.
    Grubs is under contract for one more year. I can see Wsh keeping him to give Samsonov a full year in the AHL
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

Holtby is only 28 and has established himself as a quality NHL starter. One down year is not enough to concern me at all, especially with his performance in the playoffs. Personally I doubt Samsonov or anyone else is taking over in Washington anytime soon.