Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Matthews/Marner vs McDavid

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Matthews/Marner vs McDavid

Obviously, McDavid is the best player in the game right now, but is he worth Matthews and Marner and then some?

I’m in a 15 team dynasty league with the following categories: Goals, Assists, +/-, PPP, Hits, Blocked Shots

Keep 10 each year. I have Matthews, Crosby, Eichel, Laine, Panarin, Kucherov, Marner, Ehlers, Erik Karlsson, and Matt Murray as my 10 keepers (can only keep 1 goalie each year). I also have Debrincat, Ristolainen, and Dylan Strome.

The guy with McDavid is willing to deal him for Matthews, Marner, and a high draft pick (probably a 2nd rounder). Would you do that? I go back and forth every day it seems. Part of me thinks that Matthews and Marner are both 90 point guys and it’s too much to give up (along with the pick). Part of me says to do it and then slide either Debrincat or Ristolainen into that 10th keeper spot. I love Debrincat and think he only gets better as he plays more in the Blackhawks’ top 6. I love Ristolainen too, and I know he’s a multi-cat guy, but his +/- kills me every year.

Can someone set me straight on this?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Matthews/Marner vs McDavid

yes, and im a leaf fan....
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Rookie

What I really want is to replace Marner with Ehlers, but he won’t go for that. I’m high on Marner. And he’s a Leaf fan. I do like Ehlers too, but not on that stacked Winnepeg team. It wouldn’t shock me if Debrincat outscored Ehlers next season

Dobber Sports Deity

Part of the reason the Jets are stacked is because of Ehlers. He's one of those stackers, so to speak. And it would surprise me if Debrincat outscored Ehlers.

Make the deal and get McDavid.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Part of the reason the Jets are stacked is because of Ehlers. He's one of those stackers, so to speak. And it would surprise me if Debrincat outscored Ehlers.

Make the deal and get McDavid.
    Okay, so then who do you keep with the open spot? Debrincat? Risto? Strome? Or I could flip a pick for a fairly good 10th keeper as well

Dobber Sports Deity

Do positions count and if so, how many do you start at each position?

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Do positions count and if so, how many do you start at each position?
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

I'm not pushing the limits at any one position, and trading Matthews for McDavid is a C for a C. I'd lose a RW in Marner, but could replace him with Debrincat or keep another D with Risto

Dobber Sports Deity

Starting 6D, I'd probably keep Ristolainen.

This trade just because McDavid and Ristolainen for Matthews and Marner. Great deal for your team IMO.

Dobber Sports Sage

McDavid and Ristolainen >>>>>> Matthews and Marner in this situation and this isn't even close.

This is an absolute steal in a keep 10. Smash accept.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    McDavid and Ristolainen >>>>>> Matthews and Marner in this situation and this isn't even close.

This is an absolute steal in a keep 10. Smash accept.
    ^ This.

Big Daddy

I wouldn't trade Matthews + Marner + 2nd Round Pick for McDavid straight up. But when you look at the full picture it is really Matthews + Marner + 2nd for McDavid + Ristolainen or DeBrincat, which changes everything. It's not every day you get a chance to trade for the best player in the world, I'd make this trade and this is coming from a die-hard Leafs fan and owner of Marner in 2 keeper leagues but also a McDavid owner. Curious to know who approached who for this trade? If he approached you because he wants the big 2 from the Leafs maybe you could talk him into switching that 2nd round pick for a 3rd or 4th? Either way, go for this deal.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I wouldn't trade Matthews + Marner + 2nd Round Pick for McDavid straight up. But when you look at the full picture it is really Matthews + Marner + 2nd for McDavid + Ristolainen or DeBrincat, which changes everything. It's not every day you get a chance to trade for the best player in the world, I'd make this trade and this is coming from a die-hard Leafs fan and owner of Marner in 2 keeper leagues but also a McDavid owner. Curious to know who approached who for this trade? If he approached you because he wants the big 2 from the Leafs maybe you could talk him into switching that 2nd round pick for a 3rd or 4th? Either way, go for this deal.
    He approached me with this deal. I may be the only other team in the league with the pieces to make a trade for McDavid. He's also a die-hard leaf fan. I did ask about lessening that pick to a 3rd rounder and he's definitely still interested.

Thanks for the advice!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Or ask for a later pick back, like a 5th.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

The Great One

If I had a nickle for every slam dunk trade that fell apart where on owner wanted to further negotiate on a completely negligible part of the deal...

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    If I had a nickle for every slam dunk trade that fell apart where on owner wanted to further negotiate on a completely negligible part of the deal...
    This is so true.. Don't lose this deal over the pick. It's a steal as is to get the best fantasy hockey player in the world.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):