Thread: Multi Cat - Barkov VS Scheifele

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Multi Cat - Barkov VS Scheifele

Who do you have? Both this season and down the line?

Both are roughly ppg players, young, going into their 6th season, injury prone, and on young/improving teams

My thought process:
    • Scheifele:
      • On the better team
      • Slightly better in PIM
      • Hits more

• Barkov:
      • 3 years younger
      • SOG are almost double of Sheifele

Scheifele's shot totals/shooting percentage worry me but he is surrounded by more talent than Barkov. I personally slightly favour Scheif slightly but given the opportunity who would you rather on your team long term?
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Multi Cat - Barkov VS Scheifele

based on SOG, I prefer Barkov. points wise they're basically a wash. I've become a huge Barkov fan over the past couple years. There's an entire other level left for him to get to. I prefer in general point producing forwards with high shot totals. If they hit a year when shot % goes against them, the shot volume offers some insulation on a bad offensive year. If Scheif's shot % tanks, he doesn't shoot enough to produce
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

It's funny, in one of my keepers I own Barkov. Back when Scheifele was injured, I sent the Scheifele owner (who was making a run for the title, I am rebuilding) an offer of Barkov and a late 1st round pick (in the 13-18 range) for Scheifele and he turned it down. Said he wasn't a true believer in Barkov yet and couldn't bring himself to trade Scheifele.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think the SOG factor is slightly mitigated by this in your scoring system:

SOG=0.75, Shots Missed=-0.25

This means, that for the most part:
    SOG = HIT = BLK

It's true that SOG are slightly better, because some don't miss, but it's really close. I slightly prefer Schiefele, as I;m very familiar with him, but it's really too close to call.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It's funny, in one of my keepers I own Barkov. Back when Scheifele was injured, I sent the Scheifele owner (who was making a run for the title, I am rebuilding) an offer of Barkov and a late 1st round pick (in the 13-18 range) for Scheifele and he turned it down. Said he wasn't a true believer in Barkov yet and couldn't bring himself to trade Scheifele.
    Last offseason I traded Barkov + 4th for Scheifele + later round pick (can't remember) and I'd do that again 10 times out of 10. Scheifele plays on the far better team and can have a number of different combinations of better linemates than Barkov has available. I've heard several radio interviews of Scheifele as well saying he is striving to be the best in the world. I don't think he's far behind Matthews right now.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I would have Hung on to Schief too. And clearly why you tried to acquire him right Axe.

I like Schief here!

Dobber Sports Wizard

i would keep schefiele, i think he got another gear, as good as Barkov is i would say 80 would be ceiling.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    I would have Hung on to Schief too. And clearly why you tried to acquire him right Axe.

I like Schief here!
    If you go look at the numbers, and not just the names, I was losing the deal straight up by dealing Barkov for Scheifele, let alone adding in a 1st round pick with Barkov. I dont have faith in Barkov's health yet and that is what makes me nervous but I suppose, it's not like Scheifele has been a picture of health himself in the league to this point.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Age - Barkov wins, 3 years younger. Both are young, but if Barkov can avoid any long-term career debilitating injuries, he's got like 10 prime years left in him.

Surrounding cast - Schiff wins here, he's got a great young group around him for years to come. Barkov has some great young players too; Herberdeau, Dadanov (his pp production was pretty bleh, he scored at same pace ES as David Pastarnak) and Barkov has some great talent coming into the system over next couple years, Borgstrom, Tippet, Heponiemi.

Blueline - Another win for Schiff, hard to beat Buff, Trouba, Myers, Morrissey, Enstrom. Could be bad in a couple years when Buff slows down some more and if Trouba is still unhappy there. Barkov has some good D as well, not as deep though and no real help coming up through the prospect pipeline anytime soon.

PP - Honestly, if Flordia and Barkov himself can improve their pp production, he would have been a top 5 ppg player last year. As of right now though, Schiff wins again.

Shp - Barkov, guy is a beast, I see him as a more offensive oriented Bergeron, not quite as good defensively but future Selke winner for sure.

Schiff is the one to own right now, in a couple of years could be a tie or Barkov could maybe edge him out a little. Bottom line, both are excellent centers and should be top centers for years to come, owning either one is a win, I'd love to be able to own both lol
    12 Team Dynasty League. $4 increase per player a year FP/ reduced salary for 3 years, Keep 8-12 (League Champion 14/15, 16/17, 19/20, 22/23)

Categories - D-G, G, A, PPP, SHP, SoG, Hits/Blocks, FoW, FoW%, Give/Take, Wins, GAA, Save%, Saves.

C: Tavares $33, Eichel $16 (1st yr FP), Trocheck $18, Jenner $9 Beniers $2 (1st yr RC)

W: Ovechkin $18, Hintz $17, Pavelski $11, Zacha $10, Kaprizov $7, Johnston $2 (1st yr RC), Reichel $2 (1st yr RC), Bertuzzi $1, Tippet $1

D: Burns $20, Jones $17, Werenski $16 (2nd yr FP), Matheson $5, Spurgeon $1, OEL $1

G: Shesterkin $7, Sorokin $3 (2nd yr RC), Raanta $1

MLP Bench: Rossi, Nazar, Kovalenko, Nikishin, Morrow, Ivanov

Dobber Sports Ninja

I woudln't even consider trading my Scheifele for Barkov.

The 3 year thing isn't a big deal.. Sheifele is only 25 for **** sake and just beginning to enter his prime lol

Dobber Sports Legend

I think the OP owns Barkov, so factor that in. If he moves Barkov and loses the deal, he made the choice. Just clarifying, since it seems like most think he owns Scheifele, but he has Barkov in his sig.
    Personally, I'm a huge fan of both players. I think Scheifele is a 78-88 point player moving forward and Barkov a 74-84 pointer. But If one were to "go nuts" and score 96, I'd bet on Scheife the Knife.
    So the points are close, and they both get dinged up. Barkov is 3 years younger - this should be a factor. Scheifele has way better toys to play with - this should also be a factor.
    This is very close, considering the cats. I prefer Scheifele, personally, but this is so close, it could be a "keep who you have" situation.
    To me, it's close enough that it would come down to: which player do you like better and would rather cheer for on your team?