Thread: Robert Thomas - rep

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Robert Thomas - rep

This guy seems to be a huge riser lately. I am curious what the story is behind this big jump?

I may have an opportunity to add him to my prospect roster (16 team, 28 active, 15 prospect), where would you put him in this rookie draft - point only. Is he more of a multi cat guy (Hits/PIM/SOG)?

Should he go before Wahlstrom? Tkachuk in a multi cat league?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Robert Thomas - rep

he's not going to give you loads of hits or pim's -- sog, he should handle pretty well. In a multi-cat league Tkachuk is the guy you want. I'd probably have Thomas 3rd of the 3, just due to Wahlstrom's ceiling. No knock on Thomas, but Wahlstrom's going to be a stud.

multi-cat
    Tkackuk
    Wahlstrom
    Thomas

points only
    Wahlstrom
    Thomas
    Tkachuk
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Here is another thread about him that didn't get much traction at all... Robert Thomas

I would not put him in front of either of those guys in a multi-cat league.

Dobber Sports Pro

If Thomas were draft-eligible this year I don't think he'd be a top 10 pick (real life drafts or fantasy drafts)

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    If Thomas were draft-eligible this year I don't think he'd be a top 10 pick (real life drafts or fantasy drafts)
    I think there is a good chance he'd be top 10 in a fantasy draft. He was the 20th pick last year and has had an excellent season improving his value. Most fantasy drafts I have been a part of value forwards more than defensemen.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think Thomas is definitely top 10 in both real life and fantasy hockey. Montreal would probably trade their 3rd overall pick to get their hands on Thomas.

I'm putting together my top 50 list for Dobber's Fantasy Prospect Report, and I'm considering putting Thomas at #5 behind just the top three of this draft class and Pettersson (only players with 0 GP are eligible for the list). I have a few names I'm considering for that spot but Thomas is definitely one of them.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for insight guys, repping who I can.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I think Thomas is definitely top 10 in both real life and fantasy hockey. Montreal would probably trade their 3rd overall pick to get their hands on Thomas.

I'm putting together my top 50 list for Dobber's Fantasy Prospect Report, and I'm considering putting Thomas at #5 behind just the top three of this draft class and Pettersson (only players with 0 GP are eligible for the list). I have a few names I'm considering for that spot but Thomas is definitely one of them.
    Glad to hear you have him rated so highly. I am pleased that I traded up in our last year's entry draft to draft him at spot #27. My first 3 picks were Hiskanen (10), Valimaki (22), and Thomas (27).
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Wow, that sounds really bold to me-- I need to take a closer look at Thomas I guess! How far ahead of Frost do you have him?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Wow, that sounds really bold to me-- I need to take a closer look at Thomas I guess! How far ahead of Frost do you have him?
    I have Frost in the next tier. Not quite in the top tier but not very far either.

By the way, Ryan Kennedy from The Hockey News had this in his article today:

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just wanted to add a few things

As far as his star rising lately, a part of that is because he's still playing but he's also the only 'star' player on an underdog team in a championship series right now. I'm not trying to crap all over his contribution, it's huge, but I've found Canadian media outside of Hamilton has painted a picture of Thomas carrying the team to the finals which is not the case. The Bulldogs are a well-built and very well-coached team. They have four solid lines that adjust to whichever team they're playing, Justin Lemcke with Riley Stillman in the back end shutting down future NHLers nightly, and Kaden Fulcher holding down the net. Think of Thomas as Adam Banks and the Bulldogs are the Mighty Ducks. Banks was great but the team still needs their Fultons, Goldbergs, Avermans, I think there was a cowboy in there somewhere...

Another part of his rise, I would guess, is that I've seen him mature quickly since being traded to Hamilton. When he first came I liked seeing him play but thought he came across as a brat, he was selfish with the puck (still is but much less so) and he took stupid penalties but seemed to think the refs were after him and not that he blatantly slashed a guy in the face and deserved worse punishment than he got. I think he's been humbled a bit playing in Hamilton rather than London where the Knights have a strong, dedicated fanbase and I think coach John Gruden has molded him into a real team player. He stopped taking bad penalties toward the end of the regular season but bad habits have resurfaced in the playoffs. He had a bad interference call against him last night that hurt the Bulldogs' lead.

To answer the last question, I would rank him pretty high were he to be drafted this year but I would put him behind both Tkachuk and Wahlstrom in a multi-cat league. He doesn't hit often and the penalties he does take are stupid ones. A good NHL coach will get that out of his system. Wahlstrom has the edge for SOG, Thomas is a patient player and likes to hold onto the puck until he sees an opportunity to pass or strike. He's great at faceoffs though, I'd be surprised if he were moved to the wing during his development.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

As far as his star rising lately, a part of that is because he's still playing but he's also the only 'star' player on an underdog team in a championship series right now. I'm not trying to crap all over his contribution, it's huge, but I've found Canadian media outside of Hamilton has painted a picture of Thomas carrying the team to the finals which is not the case. The Bulldogs are a well-built and very well-coached team. They have four solid lines that adjust to whichever team they're playing, Justin Lemcke with Riley Stillman in the back end shutting down future NHLers nightly, and Kaden Fulcher holding down the net. Think of Thomas as Adam Banks and the Bulldogs are the Mighty Ducks. Banks was great but the team still needs their Fultons, Goldbergs, Avermans, I think there was a cowboy in there somewhere...

Another part of his rise, I would guess, is that I've seen him mature quickly since being traded to Hamilton. When he first came I liked seeing him play but thought he came across as a brat, he was selfish with the puck (still is but much less so) and he took stupid penalties but seemed to think the refs were after him and not that he blatantly slashed a guy in the face and deserved worse punishment than he got. I think he's been humbled a bit playing in Hamilton rather than London where the Knights have a strong, dedicated fanbase and I think coach John Gruden has molded him into a real team player. He stopped taking bad penalties toward the end of the regular season but bad habits have resurfaced in the playoffs. He had a bad interference call against him last night that hurt the Bulldogs' lead.
    Don't forget that Thomas played extremely well at Traverse City and in the Blue's camp last fall.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

hey jokke, did you release this list yet?
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

forwards
    Buchnevich ,Landeskog ,Toffoli , Nugent-Hopkins,N Schmaltz, yamamoto, bjorkstrand, dadonov ,fabbri, skinner, henrik borgstrom, timo meier, Klim Kostin ,Robert thomas, Valintin Zykov, Farabee,
    Grigori Denisenko.

defense
    provorov, ekblad, Dumba, Chabot, Schmidt , orlov, Skjei

goalies
    hellebuyck, craig anderson,Darling,Kuemper, Reimer, husso ,sorokin.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by D24 View Post
    hey jokke, did you release this list yet?
    My order for the Fantasy Report is in -- head to the shop and pay the man!
    It's worth every penny.

When does it come out?
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

To answer the last question, I would rank him pretty high were he to be drafted this year but I would put him behind both Tkachuk and Wahlstrom in a multi-cat league. He doesn't hit often and the penalties he does take are stupid ones. A good NHL coach will get that out of his system. Wahlstrom has the edge for SOG, Thomas is a patient player and likes to hold onto the puck until he sees an opportunity to pass or strike. He's great at faceoffs though, I'd be surprised if he were moved to the wing during his development.
    Barzal had similar puck hog tendencies in the WHL & WJC
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4