Thread: To trade down 2d overall?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default To trade down 2d overall?

Hi all. Have a bit of a dilema: My 12 teams H2H dynasty points team had a really miserable season where I finished dead last after a regular season but miraculously won two rounds in playoffs (consolation bracket) and ended up with 2d overall pick in upcoming draft. Team needs a help everywhere TBH except goaltending.

So I was offered to trade my 2d overall down to 4th overall plus I get an upgrade for 12th overall for my 3d rounder. Personally, I incline to keep my pick as I'll get more impactful player right off the bat (Svech/Zadina). D-men don't carry a lot of value in this league unless they're heavy point-producers which Dahlin still is probably 3-4 years away imo. Besides, the way I see it, the draft is loaded with quality D-men so I am pretty sure I can grab one of those in later rounds...(I have 3 picks in a 2d round) as usually Ds go later in drafts...always

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: To trade down 2d overall?

I'd stay at #2.

Dobber Sports Wizard

yeah get one of those top 2 forwards
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree with the others. It's not a bad offer, but I would rather stay at 2.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

Don't deal the #2 pick unless someone overpays for real. In almost every trade the person that obtains the best player/asset comes out ahead. Keep the better asset.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thx guys! Seems unanimous...

Dobber Sports Icon

Yup keep 2nd. I have both 1 and 2 and wpuld take a serious offer to take 2nd.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Icon

A couple of questions that need to be answered before I can decide if 2/26 or 4/12 are more valuable.

1) Is it just the players in this year's NHL entry draft available or are there NHL players or recent NHL signings available as well?
    2) What's your goal for the upcoming season? Do you see yourself as a championship contender or are you still acquiring assets as part of a rebuild?

I am leaning towards 4/12 being more valuable than 2/26 simply because this is probably a year where fantasy drafts don't see the clear cut NHL #1 pick going 1st. I don't know which of the top 3 forwards is going to be the best NHL player in 3 years so with pick 4 you are guaranteed to either get one of the 3 top forwards or the best player in the draft. I would take that option with pick 12 over getting to choose 1 of 3 of the top 4 guys and pick 26.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would keep #2 overall Vortex, at that price atleast..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    A couple of questions that need to be answered before I can decide if 2/26 or 4/12 are more valuable.

1) Is it just the players in this year's NHL entry draft available or are there NHL players or recent NHL signings available as well?
    2) What's your goal for the upcoming season? Do you see yourself as a championship contender or are you still acquiring assets as part of a rebuild?

I am leaning towards 4/12 being more valuable than 2/26 simply because this is probably a year where fantasy drafts don't see the clear cut NHL #1 pick going 1st. I don't know which of the top 3 forwards is going to be the best NHL player in 3 years so with pick 4 you are guaranteed to either get one of the 3 top forwards or the best player in the draft. I would take that option with pick 12 over getting to choose 1 of 3 of the top 4 guys and pick 26.
    WOW! I respect different opinions! And I see where you're going with it as that was my exact reaction when I got an offer. Just to drop down 2 spots and get extra 1st rounder albeit late,sounds like a sweet deal...on a paper at least.

And no, I probably will not compete for a Championship but getting a "sure thing" in Svech/Zadina kind of make me struggle with a decision. From the reads of other managers I got, I assume that Svech/Zadina/Whalstrom will go top 3. Sure, I can probably grab Tkachuk at 4 but his sliding in rankings makes me nervous and besides he never been projected as a top scorer the way others are. And if Dahlinstill there at 4, I almost be forced to draft him despite the fact that it will take some 2-3-4 years before he becomes fantasy relevant with our setup.

Yes, there are some other names are available, most notables being Necas, Thomas, Chytil, Heponiemi, Kyrou and Donato most of who I expect to go in a 1st round. But there is no saying if any of those start to contribute at a decent rate to a team withing couple of years. That league puts the premiums on goal scorers most of all.

Good thing I still have all kinds of time to make a decision, lol

Dobber Sports Icon

If you think Svech/Zadina/Whalstrom are going to go top 3, then making the move is a no brainer. Dahlin is head and shoulders above the rest of the players available in this year's draft. You would basically be moving up from 26 to 12 and still getting the best player in the draft but at pick 4 instead of pick 2.

Just to jog your memory about high end defenseman:

Doughty had 27 points as a rookie and 59 as a sophomore.
    Karlsson had 26 points (in 60 games) as a rookie and 45 in 75 as a sophomore.
    Ekblad had 39 points as a rookie.
    Provorov had 30 as a rookie and 41 as a sophomore.

The great dmen don't take long to put up points.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I would stay at #2. I think the top three are clearly ahead of the others in this draft.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    If you think Svech/Zadina/Whalstrom are going to go top 3, then making the move is a no brainer. Dahlin is head and shoulders above the rest of the players available in this year's draft. You would basically be moving up from 26 to 12 and still getting the best player in the draft but at pick 4 instead of pick 2.

Just to jog your memory about high end defenseman:

Doughty had 27 points as a rookie and 59 as a sophomore.
    Karlsson had 26 points (in 60 games) as a rookie and 45 in 75 as a sophomore.
    Ekblad had 39 points as a rookie.
    Provorov had 30 as a rookie and 41 as a sophomore.

The great dmen don't take long to put up points.
    But the thing that holds me back is, there is quite a possibility that Boqvist/Hughes/Bouchard/Dobson may end up contributing as much as Dahlin as far as fantasy goes. And all of them will go in 2-3 rounds in our draft...

Dobber Sports Padawan

Since you have a lot of 2nds I’d keep the 2nd overall. At 13-24 you’ll still have shots at talented forwards as well as dmen.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex71 View Post
    Yes, there are some other names are available, most notables being Necas, Thomas, Chytil, Heponiemi, Kyrou and Donato most of who I expect to go in a 1st round. But there is no saying if any of those start to contribute at a decent rate to a team withing couple of years. That league puts the premiums on goal scorers most of all.
    Having these players available changes things. Thomas and Necas deserve top 5 consideration for sure in your draft. Chytil is close as well. This also makes pick #12 much more valuable.

I might actually do the deal with this added information now.