Thread: Should I trade my pick?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Should I trade my pick?

I currently have the 4th overall pick in this years NHL entry draft.

Should I trade up to try and acquire Dahlin? Try to move up a pick or two to grab Svechnikov?

Stand pat and draft Tkachuk or Zadina?

Move down and try and get a piece better for my roster now?

I have some very good prospects. I could package them with the 4th pick and should be able to get a good return. Or I could package them all with a roster player as well. I am currently one of the top teams in the league. Next year will be a challenge as I move into a division with the best team in the league.

Any my thoughts or advice on what to do or who you would move from my roster would be greatly appreciated.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Should I trade my pick?

If this is points-only, then Tkachuk shouldn't be an option at #4. He's a multi-cat prospect, not that good in points-only. Your best bet is probably a defenseman there.

Trading up to #3 would be good if it doesn't cost you too much. Trading the pick for roster upgrade is also a valid option but you may want to wait until closer to the draft.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

If you are one of the top teams in the league then I would focus on the now rather than the later.

I would wait until closer to the draft and see what offers come your way. Do not initiate any offers but let other GMs know that the pick is available and see what they come up with. If the prospect they really like is still available you might be able to get a good return for the pick and a prospect combination.

Also, during the NHL draft toss the idea of a trade out there for the pick. When these kids are getting hyped there might be someone that decides they want to move up in the draft and get one of these kids.

Dobber Sports Sage

For points only I want Hughes or Boqvist over Tkachuk. I would trade down unless the cost was not too high.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt, Hayton
    RW- Batherson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Stone, Wilson, Raymond,
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Ristolainen, Cernak, Barrie
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Levi, Tarasov

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Mintyukov, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, Podskolvin, REvans, Dorofeyev, Anunumen

Dobber Sports Legend

Tfan,

If possible, don't do anything until you see where these kids end up. Let's say a Hughes or Boqvist happen to drop to Edmonton - and shortly get handed the keys to the PP point - you can snag them at 4 and potentially have yourself a 55-65 point defenseman who could rival Dahlin offensively.

I wouldn't do anything yet. I wouldn't overpay for Dahlin, and definitely not the #2 pick. And, I wouldn't move down either, in the event the right "piece" falls to the Oil and ultimately to you at 4.
    I'm telling you now, Hughes or Boqvist on Edmonton would be Ghost-like production in Philly. High end.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Tfan,

If possible, don't do anything until you see where these kids end up. Let's say a Hughes or Boqvist happen to drop to Edmonton - and shortly get handed the keys to the PP point - you can snag them at 4 and potentially have yourself a 55-65 point defenseman who could rival Dahlin offensively.

I wouldn't do anything yet. I wouldn't overpay for Dahlin, and definitely not the #2 pick. And, I wouldn't move down either, in the event the right "piece" falls to the Oil and ultimately to you at 4.
    I'm telling you now, Hughes or Boqvist on Edmonton would be Ghost-like production in Philly. High end.
    and just to add to this... if either fall to Edm -- getting that D at #4 - there's no value in trading up to Dahlin. They both become 60+pt defenders, one a true #1Dman, the other a 2/3, when it's offense that matters - that #1 vs. #3 status matters less if the production is similar. #4 is a really good hole to sit in for this draft. you know who's going in front of you... then you're sitting with hughes, Boqvist or Wahlstrom. I would just sit tight.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    If you are one of the top teams in the league then I would focus on the now rather than the later.

I would wait until closer to the draft and see what offers come your way. Do not initiate any offers but let other GMs know that the pick is available and see what they come up with. If the prospect they really like is still available you might be able to get a good return for the pick and a prospect combination.

Also, during the NHL draft toss the idea of a trade out there for the pick. When these kids are getting hyped there might be someone that decides they want to move up in the draft and get one of these kids.
    I let it be known to a couple gm's that the pick is available for the right price. One GM offered Wennberg and the 20th overall pick

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tfan5211 View Post
    I let it be known to a couple gm's that the pick is available for the right price. One GM offered Wennberg and the 20th overall pick
    Probably because Wennberg gets hurt and lost his gig to Dubois. No way do I move #4 for him and #20.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Tfan5211 View Post
    If you consider trading the pick you'd need a great LW coming back otherwise I'd hang on to it
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar