Thread: Keeper Suggestions?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Keeper Suggestions?

This is a 10-team first year league, and we get to select 9 keepers. This was my first time ever playing fantasy hockey, but I won the championship with a fairly young team. So I would like some suggestions on who y'all believe are the best players to keep.

Scoring Settings:
    G = 6
    A = 4
    PPG = 2
    PPA = 1
    SHG = 4
    SHA = 2
    SOG = 1
    FW = 0.1
    HIT = 0.5
    BLK = 1

W = 5
    GA = -5
    SV = 1
    SHO = 5

So as you can see, it's a high scoring league. Goalies especially get massive amounts of points.

Keeper Options:
    Capture.PNGCapture 2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG

(Descending Points/Game)
    G - Juuse Saros
    G - Connor Hellebuyck
    G - Sergei Bobrovsky
    F - Connor McDavid
    F - John Tavares
    F - Steven Stamkos
    F - Jonathan Marchessault
    F - Mika Zibinejad
    D - Roman Josi
    F - Kyle Palmieri
    F - Brock Boeser
    F - Nazem Kadri
    F - Anders Lee
    D - Ivan Provorov
    D - Jake Muzzin
    F - Tomas Hertl
    D - Dougie Hamilton
    D - Ryan Pulock
    D - Oscar Klefbom
    F - Chris Kreider
    F - Kyle Connor
    F - Jeff Skinner
    D - Jeff Faulk
    F - Josh Anderson
    F - Anthony Mantha
    F - Nico Hischier

My Thinking:
    (Obvious?)
    G - Hellebuyck
    F - McDavid
    F - Tavares

(Solid?)
    F - Stamkos
    F - Zibinejad
    F - Boeser
    D - Josi

(Questionable?)
    F - Marchessault
    F - Hischier

Leaving out guys like Connor, Provorov, Hamilton, Bobrovsky, Mantha, Saros, Kadri, and Lee feels wrong, but I just am not sure they are good enough to replace any of those guys on my 9.

I'm very questionable about Hischier because he lacked the great production, but he was also only 19. In that same vein, though, both Connor and Provorov performed better when they're both barely over 20. Then I'm not sure about Marchessault, because I don't know if can he repeat that production. I know he had a good year with Florida last year, but he really took it to the next level this year. Same can kind of be said about Zibinejad, but I trust his production more than Marchessault, I think.

So please tell me, what do you guys think? Who would you keep for your team? Thanks!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Keeper Suggestions?

Stamkos
    McDavid
    Tavares
    Helle
    Josi
    Bob
    Boeser
    Hischier
    Connor

Dobber Sports Sage

Just clarifying - are goals against a goalie really -5 or is it supposed to be - 0.5?

Either way, clear locks for me:

McDavid
    Stamkos
    Tavares
    Josi
    Bob
    Helle

Next 3 are a bit tougher and are between the following four guys for me:
    Hamilton (you only have 1 d without him and I think he can take his game to another level, new coach could come with new opportunity)
    Connor (if he can stay on that top line/top pp he's gotta be in here but it's a big if with all the fire power the jets have)
    Boeser (I think you almost have to take him with the Sedins gone, he'll just get so much opportunity)
    Hischier (he's only going to get better and ultimately center Hall)

Gun to my head I probably drop Connor from that group right now because I'm not convinced he stays on the jets top line and top pp unit. I'm Not keeping marchessault or Zibanejad over my bottom four. You could make a strong case for marchessault but I see him falling back to low 60s next season. I do not trust Zibby more than marchessault.

If goalies are valuable like you stated you gotta keep helle and Bob. I wouldn't worry about hischier. 52 points as a 19 year rookie is amazing and he has alot more to give. I'd keep him.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Bobrovsky
    Hellebuyck
    Mcdavid
    Stamkos
    Tavares
    Marchessault
    Boeser
    Josi
    Zibanejad

I think Marchessault is a keeper for sure. These are your best bets for next year in my opinion. I would look to snag Dougie as a sleeper in the draft as well.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I want to know how many of each position you start.

Locks:
    G - Connor Hellebuyck
    G - Sergei Bobrovsky
    F - Connor McDavid
    F - John Tavares
    F - Steven Stamkos
    F - Brock Boeser
    D - Roman Josi

That's 2 G, 5 F, 1 D.

Options for spot #9:
    F - Mika Zibinejad - solid, but not exciting compared to the rest of these guys talent-wise.
    F - Kyle Connor - nice rookie year, but not Boeser.
    F - Nico Hischier - nice rookie year, but not Boeser.
    D - Ivan Provorov - as you note, he's young & excellent already. However, I think he is redraftable easier than Hischier/Connor. I think his goal scoring was a bit of an aberration.
    D - Dougie Hamilton - Another high end defenseman option. Older, and maybe not as sexy a name as Hischier/Connor.

There's no way I keep Zibanejad here.He's the one guy who I don't think can be elite in your system at some point. If you really need a 2nd D, I'd keep one, but otherwise I probably pick one of Hischier/Connor as my last keep. The guy I think is the most talented of this group is Provorov (yes, really), but he's limited in role a bit. Do note the Flyers were using him & Gostisbehere on the PP late in the year some, and in the playoffs.

D - Ryan Pulock - not quite good enough productiion right now. Target in redraft.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Just clarifying - are goals against a goalie really -5 or is it supposed to be - 0.5?

Either way, clear locks for me:

McDavid
    Stamkos
    Tavares
    Josi
    Bob
    Helle

Next 3 are a bit tougher and are between the following four guys for me:
    Hamilton (you only have 1 d without him and I think he can take his game to another level, new coach could come with new opportunity)
    Connor (if he can stay on that top line/top pp he's gotta be in here but it's a big if with all the fire power the jets have)
    Boeser (I think you almost have to take him with the Sedins gone, he'll just get so much opportunity)
    Hischier (he's only going to get better and ultimately center Hall)

Gun to my head I probably drop Connor from that group right now because I'm not convinced he stays on the jets top line and top pp unit. I'm Not keeping marchessault or Zibanejad over my bottom four. You could make a strong case for marchessault but I see him falling back to low 60s next season. I do not trust Zibby more than marchessault.

If goalies are valuable like you stated you gotta keep helle and Bob. I wouldn't worry about hischier. 52 points as a 19 year rookie is amazing and he has alot more to give. I'd keep him.
    Yes, "Goals Against" are -5. This is because goalies are rewarded 1 point per save. So since a goalie typically makes 25-30 saves/game, a good goalie will still get 15-20 points/game. The bad games are very bad, though as a goalie can net negative points pretty quickly, which is why losses aren't penalized.

The daily starting line-up is
    12 F
    6 D
    1 G

So I agree that keeping only 1 defensemen will leave me a little light in that category. The reason I think this would be okay, though, is because there were a lot of defensemen that averaged from the low 7 to the high 7 points-per-game range. This is the range that all my defensmen, except Josi, and many other throughout the league fell into; so I don't think that defensemen are valued as highly as goalie/forward in this league unless they're truly elite (Hedman, Josi, Burns, etc.). Due to this, I believe it'll be easier to land quality defensemen, no matter their age, in re-draft.

I think I like you're thinking, though, and this thread has helped me narrow it down to choosing between Connor or Marchessault. Basically, it's either Marchessault who will probably give me better immediate production but is 6 years older and more than likely will regress (especially as he ages), or Connor who is younger and will only get better as he hasn't even come close to reaching his prime/ceiling yet. I don't think either will be available in the re-draft, either, as I will be picking last and there are 2 expansion teams being added. I'm not as worried about Connor being bumped off the top line because, like you said, their team is stacked. I'm not sure any team has a top-6 forward group that is as loaded as the Jets; so, I think he'll produce good offensive numbers no matter what... It's the other numbers that slightly worry me with Connor.

I think Connor average around 7.6+ points/game next year, which would be about 0.6+ points/game better than what he averaged this year. While if Marchessault regresses more toward his mean, he'll drop into the high-8/low-9 points/game area, a 0.6-0.9 points/game regression compared to his average this year. Do you think because that brings the difference closer to 1 point/game or less that it makes Connor more worthy of being protected than Marchessault?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by LEAFS225 View Post
    Bobrovsky
    Hellebuyck
    Mcdavid
    Stamkos
    Tavares
    Marchessault
    Boeser
    Josi
    Zibanejad

I think Marchessault is a keeper for sure. These are your best bets for next year in my opinion. I would look to snag Dougie as a sleeper in the draft as well.

It's looking like since we won't bringing in expansion teams next year and we will be significantly increasing our number of keepers that I should protect younger guys like Hischier/Connor over Zibanejad/Marchessault? Otherwise I risk losing them forever if I can't target them in the re-draft, if they even make it to the re-draft since we will be adding those 2 new teams.

Basically, I'm asking if you think Zibanejad/Marchessault make me that much better than Hischier/Connor that it's worth the risk of losing those 2 guys forever in favor of 2 much older guys who produce a bit better now than the other 2?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post

Locks:
    G - Connor Hellebuyck
    G - Sergei Bobrovsky
    F - Connor McDavid
    F - John Tavares
    F - Steven Stamkos
    F - Brock Boeser
    D - Roman Josi

That's 2 G, 5 F, 1 D.

Options for spot #9:
    F - Mika Zibinejad - solid, but not exciting compared to the rest of these guys talent-wise.
    D - Ivan Provorov - as you note, he's young & excellent already. However, I think he is redraftable easier than Hischier/Connor. I think his goal scoring was a bit of an aberration.
    D - Dougie Hamilton - Another high end defenseman option. Older, and maybe not as sexy a name as Hischier/Connor.

There's no way I keep Zibanejad here.He's the one guy who I don't think can be elite in your system at some point. If you really need a 2nd D, I'd keep on, but otherwise I probably pick one of Hischier/Connor as my last keep. The guy I think is the most talented of this group is Provorov (yes, really), but he's limited in role a bit. Do ntoe the fLyer were using him & Gostisbehere on the PP late in the year some, and in the playoffs.

D - Ryan Pulock - not quite good enough productiion right now. Target in redraft.
    The daily starting line-up is (just like a typical NHL line-up):
    12 F
    6 D
    1 G

I agree, I don't think it's as important in my league to keep many defensemen. Although Provorov is young and produced very well, I also think the forwards at the same age with good production are more valuable.

This thread has helped me narrow it down, though, and now I'm choosing between Connor or Marchessault for the last spot - with Hischier being a keeper no matter what. I'm assuming neither will be available to me in the re-draft, either, as I will be picking last and there are 2 expansion teams being added.

It's looking like since we won't bringing in expansion teams next year and we will be significantly increasing our number of keepers. So, does that make it smarter to protect younger guys who have the chance of being elite (and who will probably never be put back in the player pool again) rather than an older guy who probably will never produce a season as good as this last one?

Basically, I'm asking if you think Marchessault makes me that much better than Connor that it's worth the risk of losing him forever? He was 2.7 points/game better this year, but don't you think Connor increases his points/game total this year while Marchessault reduces closer to his mean? I'm just a little worried because I think I could find someone who could make-up for Marchessault's production in the draft as some older guys who have more consistent career production will be available, yet it's hard to replace a guy who scores 30+ goals at only 21-years-old and will only get better.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Locks:
    G - Connor Hellebuyck
    G - Sergei Bobrovsky
    F - Connor McDavid
    F - John Tavares
    F - Steven Stamkos
    F - Brock Boeser
    D - Roman Josi

That's 2 G, 5 F, 1 D.

Options for spot #9:

There's no way I keep Zibanejad here.He's the one guy who I don't think can be elite in your system at some point. If you really need a 2nd D, I'd keep on, but otherwise I probably pick one of Hischier/Connor as my last keep. The guy I think is the most talented of this group is Provorov (yes, really), but he's limited in role a bit. Do ntoe the fLyer were using him & Gostisbehere on the PP late in the year some, and in the playoffs.

This is mostly my list, I. Not keeping bob since it’s a start 1g league, I am keeping provorov, 17 goals last year and an extra 300+ points from hits blocks. I keep Hischier as my 9th. Well surrounded in NJ &the improved Hall on his wing
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by aachally View Post
    The daily starting line-up is (just like a typical NHL line-up):
    12 F
    6 D
    1 G

I agree, I don't think it's as important in my league to keep many defensemen. Although Provorov is young and produced very well, I also think the forwards at the same age with good production are more valuable.

This thread has helped me narrow it down, though, and now I'm choosing between Connor or Marchessault for the last spot - with Hischier being a keeper no matter what. I'm assuming neither will be available to me in the re-draft, either, as I will be picking last and there are 2 expansion teams being added.

It's looking like since we won't bringing in expansion teams next year and we will be significantly increasing our number of keepers. So, does that make it smarter to protect younger guys who have the chance of being elite (and who will probably never be put back in the player pool again) rather than an older guy who probably will never produce a season as good as this last one?

Basically, I'm asking if you think Marchessault makes me that much better than Connor that it's worth the risk of losing him forever? He was 2.7 points/game better this year, but don't you think Connor increases his points/game total this year while Marchessault reduces closer to his mean? I'm just a little worried because I think I could find someone who could make-up for Marchessault's production in the draft as some older guys who have more consistent career production will be available, yet it's hard to replace a guy who scores 30+ goals at only 21-years-old and will only get better.
    Okay, since you have daily starts, I definitely would keep your 2 goalies, so my "locks" haven't changed. The question is how many extra keepers do you now have?

I'd rank them as follows, looking at it:

Marchessault - He's in my lock section, and I have no qualms keeping him over Connor. But both would be better.
    Hischier - ahead of Connor due to FOW
    Connor
    Provorov - I do think he's more likely to be redraftable than the 2 young forwards, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was more valuable due to positional scarcity.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Okay, since you have daily starts, I definitely would keep your 2 goalies, so my "locks" haven't changed. The question is how many extra keepers do you now have?

I'd rank them as follows, looking at it:

Marchessault - He's in my lock section, and I have no qualms keeping him over Connor. But both would be better.
    Hischier - ahead of Connor due to FOW
    Connor
    Provorov - I do think he's more likely to be redraftable than the 2 young forwards, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was more valuable due to positional scarcity.
    Yeah, I agree with keeping 2 goalies because the lineups change daily for the week long head-to-head matchups. I didn't really consider that at first, but I think it is probably the smart decision. Do you think, though, that I should look at exposing Bob and keeping all 3 (Marchessault, Hischier, & Connor) depending on what others are doing with their keepers? I think it actually may be possible to grab him in a re-draft, as it sounds like there will only be 5 other goalies (excluding my own) protected.

Quote Originally Posted by aachally View Post
    Yeah, I agree with keeping 2 goalies because the lineups change daily for the week long head-to-head matchups. I didn't really consider that at first, but I think it is probably the smart decision. Do you think, though, that I should look at exposing Bob and keeping all 3 (Marchessault, Hischier, & Connor) depending on what others are doing with their keepers? I think it actually may be possible to grab him in a re-draft, as it sounds like there will only be 5 other goalies (excluding my own) protected.
    That could work, depends on when you pick, and what you think people will do in the draft. You've got to decide what strategy you want to try.

Dobber Sports Newbie

That could work, depends on when you pick, and what you think people will do in the draft. You've got to decide what strategy you want to try.
    Alright, thanks for your help! I've narrowed it down to the three possibilities. May have to use a number generator to decide which way I'm gonna go. Lol

G - Bobrovsky
    G - Hellebuyck
    F - McDavid
    F - Tavares
    F - Stamkos
    F - Boeser
    F - Marchessault
    F - Hischier
    D - Josi

OR

G - Bobrovsky
    G - Hellebuyck