Thread: Voynov returning?

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Voynov returning?

Lots of talk that Voynov wants to return to the NHL. Apparently, five teams are interested: Winnipeg, Montreal, Florida, Rangers and Islanders.

It will be interesting to see if the NHL allows Voynov to come back, and if so, what team would sign him. I would expect a lot of backlash.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Voynov returning?

I heard that the Isles have zero interest. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Habs or Florida in on the action. Maybe the Rangers, considering Kovalchuk is pretty much a lock to sign there, by all indications. But Dadonov paid some nice dividends for Florida this year, so maybe they go back to the well and lure in Voynov?

Dobber Sports Ninja

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ticle37960716/

From the article:

"Slava Voynov is at the Olympics despite his conviction for domestic abuse. In a way, he is at the Olympics because of it. The Russian defenceman remains indefinitely suspended from the National Hockey League over a 2014 incident that got him sentenced to 90 days in jail on a misdemeanour charge of corporal injury to a spouse."

Not sure how the NHL would handle this. I would expect he would have to serve some form of suspension?
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Wizard

I truly hope the NHL lets this guy rot in Russia. Some people don't deserve to play in the NHL no matter how talented they are.

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I heard that the Isles have zero interest. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Habs or Florida in on the action. Maybe the Rangers, considering Kovalchuk is pretty much a lock to sign there, by all indications. But Dadonov paid some nice dividends for Florida this year, so maybe they go back to the well and lure in Voynov?
    Latest information is actually that he's talking to a few teams and the signing with the Rangers was fake news.

Dobber Sports Pro

Agreed, hope no team signs him.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Initiate

- MacTavish spent a year in prison for vehicular homicide
    - Heatley killed a teammate
    - Gilmour settled a rape case
    - Patrick Kane beat up and robbed a cab driver and settled a rape case

All of these guys were allowed to continue their NHL careers, so I don't understand why Voynov shouldn't. He isn't any worse. Many GMs will be very interested if they can sign a potential top-pairing D-man for a few million.

Administrator

The teams with GMs on the hot seat will be pushing hardest for a guy like Voynov. I also agree he shouldn't be banned from the NHL. Once he fulfills all of his obligations and punishments he should be allowed to play. And then it's up to the individual teams to decide if they want him.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    - MacTavish spent a year in prison for vehicular homicide
    - Heatley killed a teammate
    - Gilmour settled a rape case
    - Patrick Kane beat up and robbed a cab driver and settled a rape case

All of these guys were allowed to continue their NHL careers, so I don't understand why Voynov shouldn't. He isn't any worse. Many GMs will be very interested if they can sign a potential top-pairing D-man for a few million.
    Voynov left upon being suspended and just hasn't attempted to return. I'm sure there will be a suspension imposed upon his return, if he ever returns.

A team like Edm or Van could really use a top 4 guy with Voynov's skill set.. hell - Van could use 4 top 4 guys with his skill set in their top 4
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Although I agree that Voynov should be allowed to resume his NHL career, I do not agree with the reasoning here at all.
    Conflating these various acts (especially considering the time difference) only adds more confusion to this.
    Voynov "isn't any worse" ?
    I think he most certainly is... worse than two of the others, anyway.
    And people can debate that endlessly, which is exactly why comparing the acts of others is irrelevant.

His reinstatement should be based on the fact that he's served his time and is now allowed to earn a living again.
    Agree with your post. I think Voynov should be allowed to continue his career; whether an organization wants to take him on is a decision reserved for the organization itself. I hope every team shuns him but that's just me. On the flip side, if he's shown remorse and maturity and personal improvement (no idea if any of that occurred) and my team signed him and he performed well I probably wouldn't complain.

Agreed that Username's reasoning is rather horrible though-- not the path to go down with something like this IMO. Unnecessary rabbit hole and too many apples-to-oranges comparisons.