Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Malkin Trade

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Another Malkin Trade

Hey guys,

Realistically what should one expect in return when listening to offers for Malkin?

I just won the championship in my league this year and have decided to see what Malkin could net me. Is he even worth trading or stand pat? I would say I have a solid shot at going all the way again next year. There are a few other powerhouses who will give me a run for my money though.

My league cats are in my signature and for reference, here's how Malkin fared in my league this year for fantasy points per game among all skaters:

1. Nathan MacKinnon - 11.05 FPPG
    2. Connor McDavid - 10.75
    3. Evgeni Malkin - 10.63

So he's right up there with the best. My thinking was to acquire another high end center with extra pieces. But I'd like some feedback on what a wise return would be at this point, or to just hold on to him.

Thanks!
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague
    16 team H2H Full Keeper w/ 20man prospects
    G,GWG,OG,ShG,A,PPP,SHP,HT,FOW,Hits,BLK,PIM,+/-,SOG | W,SHO,SV,OL,GA,ShL (2.5x for defensive points)
    SBFHL Champion: 2013-14, 2017-18

Main Roster
    F:Tavares/Malkin/Benn/Pavelski/Tarasenko
    /Granlund/Parise/Dubois/DeBrincat/Ritchie/Chiasson/Marleau/
    D:Hedman/Subban/Doughty/Rielly/Oleksiak/C. Miller
    G:Rask/Quick

Prospect Roster
    F​: Frederic/Foo/Heponiemi/Mantha/Ho-Sang/Groulx/Safin/Hawryluk/Goldobin/Roslovic/Korshkov/Cj. Smith/Bokk/McBain/Greer/Marody
    D: Jokiharju/Perunovich/M. Phiillips/Weegar
    G: Gillies/Brossoit/Wedgewood/Eriksson EK

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Another Malkin Trade

It really only depends on what other GMs are willing to offer you.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sage

I think you'll find that you'll almost never get full value for him. Right or wrong he's often injured and will be 32 at the start of next season.

If you're a competing team next year you will likely be better off keeping him. It's always worth shopping around though, may give you an idea of what people are willing to pay for him in your league (dislaimer: you'll probably be dissapointed).

He was shopped heavy this year in my keep 2 (as a top 5 league producer )and there was literally no interest.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post
    It really only depends on what other GMs are willing to offer you.
    I have two offers from the same GM. One offer was Ryan Johansen and a 2019 first. His first in 2018 is the 5th overall, but he has done lots of trades moves that should probably improve his team, so the 2019 first next year may be a bit higher in the 6-10 range. Not sure that's enticing. His second offer was Ryan O'Reilly and the 12th overall pick in this draft as well as that same 2019 1st round pick in next years, which again probably the 6-10 range.

For reference, Johansen's FPPG this season was 6.73.

Of course the few discussions I've had everyone uses the "He's 32 years old card".
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague
    G,GWG,OG,ShG,A,PPP,SHP,HT,FOW,Hits,BLK,PIM,+/-,SOG | W,SHO,SV,OL,GA,ShL (2.5x for defensive points)

Main Roster

Prospect Roster
    F​: Frederic/Foo/Heponiemi/Mantha/Ho-Sang/Groulx/Safin/Hawryluk/Goldobin/Roslovic/Korshkov/Cj. Smith/Bokk/McBain/Greer/Marody

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I think you'll find that you'll almost never get full value for him. Right or wrong he's often injured and will be 32 at the start of next season.

If you're a competing team next year you will likely be better off keeping him. It's always worth shopping around though, may give you an idea of what people are willing to pay for him in your league (dislaimer: you'll probably be dissapointed).

He was shopped heavy this year in my keep 2 (as a top 5 league producer )and there was literally no interest.

I have tried shopping him a few times during the season, and you're right I was disappointed. Bunch of garbage offers. That is the same thing everyone tells me when making a pitch, "he's old" and "hes a band-aid boy". I want to keep my team championship caliber was looking to off some of the older pieces so my team does not hit a wall one day where I have to rebuild.
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague

Main Roster

Prospect Roster

Dobber Sports Jedi

Malkin's one of those players that is better off owned than traded. Just looking at those returns - you're dropping 4 Fppg with the Johansen deal and 5th overall... that's going to be a good pick, but you're looking at a couple years before that pick provides significant value in your line up - meaning you need to find another player to bring you close to Malkin's singular production.

as others have said you can't get full value for him due to injury concerns. Those aren't great offers - and this is after one of his most dominant seasons in recent years.

I would just run him into the ground rather than take less than his worth.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

agree with above. You will not find anyone willing to pay your for Malkin's full season production. Everyone will low ball because they don't want the risk.

As a competing team, Malkin is most valuable on your roster rather than as trade bait.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was afraid that would be the answer. Don’t want to sell myself short. I guess I’ll keep him!
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague

Main Roster

Prospect Roster

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. I was afraid that would be the answer. Don?t want to sell myself short. I guess I?ll keep him!
    Don't actively shop Geno, but keep your ears open. If the Pens go deep and Malkin dazzles, his value will only go up. He's still a beast with huge name recognition in fantasy. That said, I wouldn't bite on either of the offers you mentioned. I would want a young piece that has enormous upside, which Johansen or O'Reilly do not. I'm thinking a Scheifele or Barkov type player, with sweetener.

If I were offered Scheife the Knife and a Top-10 pick for Malkin - done. If I were offered Big Bark and a Top-5 pick for Malkin - done.

See what I mean? You are in a good position - you're the champ and you have no reason to deal Shrek unless someone is willing to pay the price. Be patient, and don't let other GM's know you are considering such a trade. Get them to bid against themselves.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
    I have two offers from the same GM. One offer was Ryan Johansen and a 2019 first. His first in 2018 is the 5th overall, but he has done lots of trades moves that should probably improve his team, so the 2019 first next year may be a bit higher in the 6-10 range. Not sure that's enticing. His second offer was Ryan O'Reilly and the 12th overall pick in this draft as well as that same 2019 1st round pick in next years, which again probably the 6-10 range.

For reference, Johansen's FPPG this season was 6.73.

Of course the few discussions I've had everyone uses the "He's 32 years old card".
    Kind of what I would of expected. Crappy offers. Malkin will continue to produce at an elite level, when healthy, for years to come. As long a you're competitive keep him. Keep your ears open through the playoffs on offers and if your team starts to flounder in the next few years you can sell him mid season to a competitor for high potential youth/picks at a production cost and hopefully be competitive again within a few seasons.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Pro

Not a chance I'd even consider those as a Malkin owner.

I think said best above that best to keep him unless you take pennies on the dollar for him.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Thanks guys!!! Appreciate the advice! And great point Fungchen3. Looks like I will be keeping Geno for the time being. Unless someone has a man crush on him and offers up a big return.
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague

Main Roster

Prospect Roster

Big Daddy

May as well keep him if you want to win again next year and those are the offers you are receiving. I am one of those fantasy managers that stays away from Malkin and Letang because of injury history. For reference, Malkin was traded the other day in my 12 team keeper. He was packaged with a 9th Round pick in exchange for Gostisbehere and a 4th Round pick. First 11 rounds are used on keepers so the pick exchange actually translates to a 21st for a 15th. Not a huge return.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Monster

Yeah, like others have said his value is usually not where it could be/where you want it to be. But while that's the majority, I do think you can find an owner or two who still wants to take a chance on that 90 point upside. I was able to get Malkin for Martin Jones a few summers ago (I had a goalie surplus) and it pushed my team over the top. In your format all forwards are F, which actually boosts his value quite a lot because in many leagues fitting centers into your lineup is very difficult and most teams have at least 1 or 2 must-start centers already. I am personally trying to move Malkin but that's only because I have too many centers - in your situation I dont see any urgency to move him because I think if a team wasn't interested a year ago they probably still won't be because of his reputation.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Genius

I netted Malkin for Shattenkirk and Ehler this year and the Malkin owner never wants to trade with me again haha. He owned Malkin for years and like you was actively shopping him. I think all the low ball offers finally got to him and he cracked when something have decent arose. Moral of the story don't trade Malkin.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram