Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tolvanen + for D Strome

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Tolvanen + for D Strome

Points only pool keeper dynasty league

Dylan Strome
    For
    Tolvanen

I could prob get an additional prospect or pick with tolvanen for my Dylan Strome.

Has Stromes outlook improved with those late season games? He looked good but the end of season is always awkward time of year.

Strome seems poised to push for the top centre spot in Arizona. Tolvanen will be given opportunity as well but maybe not required as much?? Am I right to say Strome is in a better opportunity? Or tolvanen being on the better team could mean more scoring? Not sure how to read in to their respective opportunities.

I?ve always looked at Strome as a very high ceiling prospect and would hate to lose him just before he enters his own. But on the other hand he is worrying me slightly. Does tolvanen now get considered as the same or greater upside ? I?m assuming yes.

Thanks for your insight

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Tolvanen + for D Strome

Hey jaga, this is not an easy call, but I'll spitball out loud ...

Strome has been one of the top NHL drafted, forward prospects (if not the top) for a couple of years now. I thought he was a lock to make the Yotes this past year but he was sent to the AHL, where he played well, putting up 53 points in 50 games. In 21 NHL games this year, he scored 9 points - looking good late in the season, as you said. However, that was late in the season when the Dogs were toast and there was no pressure, etc. So, while it was a good sign, I wouldn't be overly seduced by that. I'll start with Strome; let's dig in ...

THE GOOD:
    - He is a center, which could give him access to more point opportunities and TOI if he pans out.
    - Good NHL size: 6-3, 190.
    - He was a 3rd overall pick, ahead of players such as Marner, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen, Barzal, Connor, etc.
    - He put up over a PPG in the AHL this year, during his 1st stint in the A.
    - He looked good during his late-season NHL call-up.
    - If he stays in the desert, he will have some nice, young talent to eventually play with.

THE BAD:
    - His skating and two-way play hasn't been sound enough for him to break into the NHL full-time.
    - He had a very unimpressive showing at Yotes development camp this year, when many thought he was ready to secure a gig with the big club.
    - He is 21 years old and has already been surpassed by many in his draft class, including the ones I named ^ as well as Boeser, Konecny, Chabot, DeBrusk, Meier, Beauvillier, etc. That's half the pack of players drafted behind him in the 1st round.
    - He hasn't been good (or well-rounded) enough to crack the Yotes - a team starved for talent, which has promoted many youngsters recently, including Chychrun, Keller and Dvorak.
    - His bloodlines. For whatever reason, the Strome brothers have all been rated good-to-excellent prospects, and none of them have really done anything in the NHL. Ryan is 24 and has already been traded, after putting up a modest career high 50 points in his best NHL season. Many thought he would blossom after being moved to Edmonton and he put up a measly 34 points in 82 games.
    - You have to wonder if the Coyotes have developed him properly, but the fact that other young players have performed well makes me think they can develop.
    - His fantasy value has taken a hit and GM's are wondering if he's going to be a late-bloomer or bust altogether.

As for Tolvanen, there's not as much to dissect. I mean, he's only 18 years old, and to the surprise of many, became one of the most hyped players of the 2017 draft class this season. He came out of nowhere to dominate the KHL and solidify a sign and call up with the Preds at the end of the season. Let's look at him ...

THE GOOD:
    - He's still a puppy at 18.
    - He dominated the KHL this year as an 18 year old, breaking the records of great KHLers such as Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, etc.
    - His shot is absolutely lethal.
    - He was drafted 30th overall in the 2017 draft but only 7 players selected in the first 3 rounds have played more NHL games than him so far.
    - He has a very dynamic skill set and is a human highlight reel.
    - The Preds could use another scoring winger and he'll be given every chance to earn a full-time gig next year, and if he does, he'll likely play a top-6 role and get PP2 time.
    - He has awesome trade value in fantasy.

THE BAD:
    - He dropped in the 2017 draft. He was a projected top-15 pick and ended up dropping to 30th, which means multiple teams saw something in his game they didn't like.
    - His shot has been elite at other levels, but so was Teemu Pulkkinen's.
    - He didn't look particularly good during his 3 game stint at the end of the season. But, he was coming off a lot of hockey, and walking into a championship-caliber NHL room.
    - His two-way play has been questioned, so has his lack of hustle and penchant for cherry-picking.
    - He's on the smaller side: 5-10, 180. This isn't a flaw, but it's not an advantage.

I guess, all-in-all, there more to consider with Strome. But the question I am asking myself is: Will Tolvanen surpass where Strome is today, 3 years down the road when he's 21? And the answer is most likely yes. If Tolvanen comes to camp in September fit, focused, and ready to roll, he should be able to sure up a job in Nashville and immediately start paying dividends. His shot alone makes him a future top PP fixture, unless he busts altogether.

IMO, 2018-19 is a do-or-die year for Strome. If he can't make the Yotes, gets traded, or makes the team and has a horrible season as a 22 year old, the B word will begin to cross my mind. If he steps in and flirts with 50 points as an NHL rook, I'll believe a little bit, assuming he passes the eye test as well.

If I had to speculate on their future production, I would say ...

STROME:
    - Lights Out Case (30/50/80, Anze Kopitar/Nicklas Backstrom) 5%
    - Best Case (30/40/70, Ryan Johansen) 25%
    - Modest case (20/30/50, current day Adam Henrique) 50%
    - Worst Case (total bust, NHL dropout) 20%

TOLVANEN:
    - Lights Out Case (45/45/90, Nikita Kucherov/Patrik Laine) 10%
    - Best Case (40/35/75, William Karlsson/Phil Kessel) 35%
    - Modest Case (30/25/55, Cam Atkinson) 45%
    - Worst Case (Teemu Pulkinen, NHL dropout) 10%

If it were me, I would roll the dice on Tolvanen, especially if you could get some nice sweetener added in the deal. The main reason is that Tolvanen is only a baby at 18 and projects to not only be an NHL regular - but perhaps a surprise rookie - next year. I think both prospects could be considered boom-or-bust, but Tolvanen possesses something that Strome doesn't - an elite shot and uncanny goal scoring ability.

Big Daddy

I won't go nearly as in depth as above but I will say that I've lost almost any faith I had left in Strome. He just can't seem to adapt to the NHL. If I owned him in a dynasty I'd be looking to trade him as well. But since it is a dynasty, I think you can afford to give him one final season/chance to prove he will be fantasy relevant. Trading him at this point won't fetch you much return, his value is extremely low at the moment. Expecting Tolvanen+ is aiming too high in my opinion. I don't know much about Tolvanen but fantasy mangers often go off recency bias and although he hasn't been getting into Nashville's lineup for the playoffs, his name as been mentioned quite a bit around fantasy circles recently. Once he does crack the lineup, (likely next season) I wouldn't expect too many minutes right away as Nashville are a strong offensive team without him. But again, if you are looking at it big picture dynasty and not concerned with immediate impact, I'd make the offer, it won't hurt any. And if the opposing manager is willing to make this trade and add a draft pick or another prospect it is definitely worth considering.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Icon

fungs analysis is bang on, although i don't necessarily agree on teh % of probability in his synopsis, but still pretty amazing work. i own both guys and i really like em both, but if i could get a DP with Tolvanen for DStrome i think id take it. it all comes down to your particular roster and teh positional assets / # of starters in each.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Jedi

you can't really add much to what Fung has posted, but I'll try by taking it from a slightly different angle. Whichever side you are receiving - I'm asking for an add on.

If I have Tolvanen and am offered Strome - I want a pick or 2nd prospect - sell the hype & sell the delayed development.

If I have Strome and am offered Tolvanen - I sell Strome's draft position, his recent AHL season & sell Tolvanen's 2nd half slow down - depth of Nsh roster (limitations on making an impact) and ask for a pick or a 2nd prospect.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports All-Star

Great analysis by Fung. Like others have said if you can get a sweetener in this deal, go for it.

Thank you guys very much! Great analysis, i very much enjoyed all input here..

Pretty much it is what I was thinking. Wanted to ensure that Tolvanen can in fact be considered as high a level of prospect as Strome. Since i am in pretty deep rebuild, I have so many good young pieces but a terrible team by today's standards, so I am happy to swing for the high upside play, and can afford to wait for a player.

I guess tolvanen has the advantage here, especially if i can land another prospect.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jaga86 View Post
    Thank you guys very much! Great analysis, i very much enjoyed all input here..

Pretty much it is what I was thinking. Wanted to ensure that Tolvanen can in fact be considered as high a level of prospect as Strome. Since i am in pretty deep rebuild, I have so many good young pieces but a terrible team by today's standards, so I am happy to swing for the high upside play, and can afford to wait for a player.

I guess tolvanen has the advantage here, especially if i can land another prospect.
    Tolvanen is without a doubt considered a high-level prospect. As with any prospect, there's a risk factor, but Tolvanen's goal scoring ability makes him a tantalizing fantasy own. In terms of stylistic comparisons, I've heard the following names tossed out over the last 12 months: Nikita Kucherov, Filip Forsberg, Rickard Rakell, Michael Cammalleri, Patrik Laine (light), David Pastrnak. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with all of them, but it's no doubt lofty praise by others who have studied him closely, including scouts. Personally, I really liked the Cammalleri comparison and see a lot of similarities there. If Tolvanen ends up a young version of Cammalleri, his owners hit a HR.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd look at it like this way, Tolvanen is only 18 with lots of upside and worst case scenario he has 2-3 years to let you down before he reaches where Strome is at now.

But in all seriousness Fung hit the nail on the head with his breakdown.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Ended up getting

tolvanen
    Dermott
    Honka

For
    Strome
    Gustafson (d chicago)

In a bad rebuild team with time to spare. I?m hoping one of dermott and honka can have a Keeper career.

Thanks all

Dobber Sports Titan

Awesome deal.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Good deal. Without the additional talent I probably wouldn't have made the deal. I think both players have similar questions. Mainly skating and 2 way play.

Dobber Sports Legend

Good deal for you jaga. I would have made it for sure.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Hey jaga, this is not an easy call, but I'll spitball out loud ...

Strome has been one of the top NHL drafted, forward prospects (if not the top) for a couple of years now. I thought he was a lock to make the Yotes this past year but he was sent to the AHL, where he played well, putting up 53 points in 50 games. In 21 NHL games this year, he scored 9 points - looking good late in the season, as you said. However, that was late in the season when the Dogs were toast and there was no pressure, etc. So, while it was a good sign, I wouldn't be overly seduced by that. I'll start with Strome; let's dig in ...

THE GOOD:
    - He is a center, which could give him access to more point opportunities and TOI if he pans out.
    - Good NHL size: 6-3, 190.
    - He was a 3rd overall pick, ahead of players such as Marner, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen, Barzal, Connor, etc.
    - He put up over a PPG in the AHL this year, during his 1st stint in the A.
    - He looked good during his late-season NHL call-up.
    - If he stays in the desert, he will have some nice, young talent to eventually play with.

THE BAD:
    - His skating and two-way play hasn't been sound enough for him to break into the NHL full-time.
    - He had a very unimpressive showing at Yotes development camp this year, when many thought he was ready to secure a gig with the big club.
    - He is 21 years old and has already been surpassed by many in his draft class, including the ones I named ^ as well as Boeser, Konecny, Chabot, DeBrusk, Meier, Beauvillier, etc. That's half the pack of players drafted behind him in the 1st round.
    - He hasn't been good (or well-rounded) enough to crack the Yotes - a team starved for talent, which has promoted many youngsters recently, including Chychrun, Keller and Dvorak.
    - His bloodlines. For whatever reason, the Strome brothers have all been rated good-to-excellent prospects, and none of them have really done anything in the NHL. Ryan is 24 and has already been traded, after putting up a modest career high 50 points in his best NHL season. Many thought he would blossom after being moved to Edmonton and he put up a measly 34 points in 82 games.
    - You have to wonder if the Coyotes have developed him properly, but the fact that other young players have performed well makes me think they can develop.
    - His fantasy value has taken a hit and GM's are wondering if he's going to be a late-bloomer or bust altogether.

As for Tolvanen, there's not as much to dissect. I mean, he's only 18 years old, and to the surprise of many, became one of the most hyped players of the 2017 draft class this season. He came out of nowhere to dominate the KHL and solidify a sign and call up with the Preds at the end of the season. Let's look at him ...

THE GOOD:
    - He's still a puppy at 18.
    - He dominated the KHL this year as an 18 year old, breaking the records of great KHLers such as Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, etc.
    - His shot is absolutely lethal.
    - He was drafted 30th overall in the 2017 draft but only 7 players selected in the first 3 rounds have played more NHL games than him so far.
    - He has a very dynamic skill set and is a human highlight reel.
    - The Preds could use another scoring winger and he'll be given every chance to earn a full-time gig next year, and if he does, he'll likely play a top-6 role and get PP2 time.
    - He has awesome trade value in fantasy.

THE BAD:
    - He dropped in the 2017 draft. He was a projected top-15 pick and ended up dropping to 30th, which means multiple teams saw something in his game they didn't like.
    - His shot has been elite at other levels, but so was Teemu Pulkkinen's.
    - He didn't look particularly good during his 3 game stint at the end of the season. But, he was coming off a lot of hockey, and walking into a championship-caliber NHL room.
    - His two-way play has been questioned, so has his lack of hustle and penchant for cherry-picking.
    - He's on the smaller side: 5-10, 180. This isn't a flaw, but it's not an advantage.

I guess, all-in-all, there more to consider with Strome. But the question I am asking myself is: Will Tolvanen surpass where Strome is today, 3 years down the road when he's 21? And the answer is most likely yes. If Tolvanen comes to camp in September fit, focused, and ready to roll, he should be able to sure up a job in Nashville and immediately start paying dividends. His shot alone makes him a future top PP fixture, unless he busts altogether.

IMO, 2018-19 is a do-or-die year for Strome. If he can't make the Yotes, gets traded, or makes the team and has a horrible season as a 22 year old, the B word will begin to cross my mind. If he steps in and flirts with 50 points as an NHL rook, I'll believe a little bit, assuming he passes the eye test as well.

If I had to speculate on their future production, I would say ...

STROME:
    - Lights Out Case (30/50/80, Anze Kopitar/Nicklas Backstrom) 5%
    - Best Case (30/40/70, Ryan Johansen) 25%
    - Modest case (20/30/50, current day Adam Henrique) 50%
    - Worst Case (total bust, NHL dropout) 20%

TOLVANEN:
    - Lights Out Case (45/45/90, Nikita Kucherov/Patrik Laine) 10%
    - Best Case (40/35/75, William Karlsson/Phil Kessel) 35%
    - Modest Case (30/25/55, Cam Atkinson) 45%
    - Worst Case (Teemu Pulkinen, NHL dropout) 10%

If it were me, I would roll the dice on Tolvanen, especially if you could get some nice sweetener added in the deal. The main reason is that Tolvanen is only a baby at 18 and projects to not only be an NHL regular - but perhaps a surprise rookie - next year. I think both prospects could be considered boom-or-bust, but Tolvanen possesses something that Strome doesn't - an elite shot and uncanny goal scoring ability.
    This is actually one of the best posts I have ever seen!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Agreed, was a great read.