Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Norris finalists

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Norris finalists

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    This is such a tight race.

There is a lot of discussion above that sounds like it is discussion for the MVP award and which D man is most valuable to their team. This award should not weight any merit on who his teammates are or how his team does or if they finish in first place or last place.

From http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=24942

Now I understand that being a D-man on a top team usually means that you are helping your team win.

But what if Karlsson scored 80 points, was plus 25, but Ottawa finished in last place... should he be eliminated because the rest of the team sucked? No

Or what if Josi and Subban both had 70 point seasons and were 1 and 2 in D-man scoring... should they be eliminated because they play on the same team? No.

Simply this award has to go to the best Defenseman this year... and I would vote for Hedman.

Reasons

1) Hedman scored 17 goals... Subban (16) Doughty (10) - Thus showing all his points weren't just from him getting secondary assists.

2) Hedman was plus 32 .....Subban (18) Doughty (23) - It would probably provide better analysis if it was a percentage of the Teams even strength goals for and against.

3) Hedman average 25.51 minutes per game - Doughty (26.50) Subban (24.07) - So yes Doughty played on average a minute more per game.. but this still shows that Hedman was out there a lot.

4) Hedman had 139 hits. Doughty (127) Subban (111) - So this shows that Hedman played the physical part of being a Dman as well. And he played 5 less games than Doughty, so hits per game is even better.

5) Hedman had 110 block shot Doughty (128) Subban (90) - So Doughty beats Hedman here... but its not like Hedman wasn't blocking shots. And I think if we consider it as a percentage of shots given up by the team and consider Hedman missing 5 games this is closer than 18 block shots difference.

Conclusion - Based on the 5 points above... Hedman scores, defends, plays a lot, hits and blocks shots better or comparable to the other two finalists at a rate that I feel he should win the award. What else do you want from a D-man, one who plays a lot of minutes, scores, defends, hits and blocks... I think that covers the definition of 'all-around ability'

- - - Updated - - -
    This is one award that strength of opposition should really come in to play. I'd like to see if PK & Hedman matched up evenly with Doughty on that measure.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I figured it'd be unanimous for Hedman. He is my choice anyways.
    I was thinking this as well. Surprised all the Doughty love on here. Not that they all don't deserve it but ya....I like Hedman.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Dough-boy.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

My vote goes to Chara, he's an option right??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Wizard

John Carlson and Seth Jones probably deserved some consideration here as well but it's a tough group to crack.

Dobber Sports Monster

Doughty was the best all around defenceman this season so I'd go with him but hard to say who they will go with. Last season I thought they should have went with EK65 but Burnsy got his first Norris, which is fine but I was upset for good ol EK65.