Thread: Tage Thompson - Rookie Season Review

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Tage Thompson - Rookie Season Review

Didn't see another dedicated thread or recent thread on Tage. Curious how Thompson looks now that he's gotten though his rookie year. Didn't play a full season or have a huge role. Looks like they are slowly working him in. I think he played mostly at RW this year, but I know he still has Center potential. He's a big kid, and as it's been discussed elsewhere, physically big prospects can and often do take longer to reach their potential. It could be another 2 to 3 years before he' s physically matured.

This is a kid though who has surprised people, performing early at about every level. I'm sure most didn't expect to see him in the NHL for another season or 2.

Blues have some other C prospect in the pipeline, Robert Thomas being the main competition, that could lead Tage Thompson to playing RW full time instead of any Center.

For me he is a nice sleeper going in to next season. He's had his introduction to the NHL and now has a full offseason to work on his game, body and skating. I think he could progress enough and be used enough next year to at least be fantasy relevant, most likely for larger leagues (14 teams +) or dynasty leagues. While I would love to see him at C, he might not play C for a few years depending how he progresses. But it's likely they will use him at Wing to acclimate him to the level of play.

I really do think he can be a physical force for multi-cat leagues, with good but not elite offense. I think an eventual 60 point player is semi likely. He may have higher upside, 70+ point potential, but that would probably be a few years down the road if at all.

He had a minimal season, with minimal output. But I didn't see him play more than maybe twice.

I've picked him up at the end of the season in my dynasty leagues, hoping he has a great summer/camp and comes into next season with a top 6 role. Curious how others feel about him, his future and when to expect a possible breakout.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Tage Thompson - Rookie Season Review

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    Didn't see another dedicated thread or recent thread on Tage. Curious how Thompson looks now that he's gotten though his rookie year. Didn't play a full season or have a huge role. Looks like they are slowly working him in. I think he played mostly at RW this year, but I know he still has Center potential. He's a big kid, and as it's been discussed elsewhere, physically big prospects can and often do take longer to reach their potential. It could be another 2 to 3 years before he' s physically matured.

This is a kid though who has surprised people, performing early at about every level. I'm sure most didn't expect to see him in the NHL for another season or 2.

Blues have some other C prospect in the pipeline, Robert Thomas being the main competition, that could lead Tage Thompson to playing RW full time instead of any Center.

For me he is a nice sleeper going in to next season. He's had his introduction to the NHL and now has a full offseason to work on his game, body and skating. I think he could progress enough and be used enough next year to at least be fantasy relevant, most likely for larger leagues (14 teams +) or dynasty leagues. While I would love to see him at C, he might not play C for a few years depending how he progresses. But it's likely they will use him at Wing to acclimate him to the level of play.

I really do think he can be a physical force for multi-cat leagues, with good but not elite offense. I think an eventual 60 point player is semi likely. He may have higher upside, 70+ point potential, but that would probably be a few years down the road if at all.

He had a minimal season, with minimal output. But I didn't see him play more than maybe twice.

I've picked him up at the end of the season in my dynasty leagues, hoping he has a great summer/camp and comes into next season with a top 6 role. Curious how others feel about him, his future and when to expect a possible breakout.
    he should have spent the full season in the AHL. Allowing him to be fully ready for Oct. I think it's another year before Tage gets full traction in the NHL. I can see a 40pt season next year.. but he's got more than that to give. He's going to test a lot of owners next season in those leagues where he will surpass game marks and graduate from prospect status and need full roster spot
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Tage Thompson - Rookie Season Review

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    he should have spent the full season in the AHL. Allowing him to be fully ready for Oct. I think it's another year before Tage gets full traction in the NHL. I can see a 40pt season next year.. but he's got more than that to give. He's going to test a lot of owners next season in those leagues where he will surpass game marks and graduate from prospect status and need full roster spot
    I agree. I was even considering waiting to pick him up with the thought that if he doesn't produce immediately he would fall off a lot of folks radar. Even considering if I drop him at the beginning of next season, would I be able to pick him up again, after clearing some room through trades, before anyone else noticed him.

It might be another full season before he starts producing. I could see him gradually progressing until one day he's a must own player. But I also feel like it could happen as soon as the beginning or half point of next season, to as far as 2 years away or so. So you are definitely right that he will probably test a lot of owners. That makes me think even more that there could be good possibility to still pick him up during or after next season even.

Finding that window is going to be tricky IMO.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)