Thread: Need to acquire a goalie - +REP

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Need to acquire a goalie - +REP

So I posted on here a few days ago about the start of my rebuild and received some excellent trade advice. I did end up trading Gourde + a 2nd for Sorokin + a 1st kind of impulsively and then came back here to find a bunch of people recommending to pass on that deal. So lesson learned in that regard, I need to be more patient, however as I mentioned in the other threads we have a goalie dispersal draft coming up. Unfortunately this means teams are trading their starters left and right to try to get some value before that happens. I'm worried I won't actually get a starter from that now, so I want to try to make a trade for at least one while the value is there.

The best option left is a GM who has Murrary, Holty, and Varlamov and can only keep 2 of the 3. Varlamov seems like the one to target, but I wonder if it's worth it to throw out an offer for Murray and see if he bites? Since Murray is much younger and my team won't be competitive for a few years. What's a fair offer I can toss out for a starter he will have to drop anyway if he doesn't reach a deal? (I know he has other modest offers on the table).

My roster is below.

Main Roster:

Skaters:
    Tyson Jost
    Radek Faksa
    Kevin Labanc
    Brandon Sutter
    Thomas Tatar
    Joel Edmundson
    Derek Forbort
    Olli Maatta
    Gustav Olofsson
    Anthony Beauvillier
    Anders Bjork
    Jake DeBrusk
    Adrian Kempe
    Alex Killorn
    Ondrej Palat
    Tanner Pearson
    Miles Wood
    Jake Dotchin

Goalies:
    Jaroslav Halak
    Chad Johnson
    Jared Coreau

Minors:

Skaters:
    Zach Aston-Reese
    JT Compher
    Filip Chlapik
    Jordan Kyrou
    Martin Necas
    Ryan Poehling
    Jeremy Bracco
    Jordan Greenway
    Charles Hudon
    Ivan Lodnia
    Zach Senshyn
    Oscar Fantenberg
    Gustav Forsling
    Jeremy Lauzon
    Nicolas Meloche
    Cam Dineen

Goalies:
    Ilya Sorokin
    Callum Booth
    Kristers Gudlevskis
    Alex Nedelijkovic
    Keith Petruzzelli
    Felix Sandstrom
    Joseph Woll

Current draft picks:
    2018 - 1, (8th overall), 1(9th overall), 3,3,3,4,4
    2019 - 1 (not my original pick), 3,3,3,4,4,4,4
    2020 - 1,2,3,4

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Need to acquire a goalie - +REP

Was thinking of offering Palat + 2019 1st (will be a lower 1st rounder, it's from a very good team) for Murray, and then countering with Varlamov if he says no to Murray. Am I offering too much there since he would have to drop 1 of the 3 goalies if he doesn't make a trade? I would love to acquire at least an NHL starter going forward. As before here's the league scoring... as you can see winning goalies score very highly. Thanks for the help again!!

Scoring

Scoring Group
    Scoring Category
    Position
    Skaters Defense 7.5
    Skaters Blocks (Blk) Default 0.25
    Skaters Faceoffs Won (FOW) Default 0.1
    Skaters Games Played (GP) Default
    Skaters Game Winning Goals (GWG) Default 5
    Skaters Goals (G) Default 5
    Skaters Defense 7.5
    Skaters Shootout Goals (ShG) Default 2.5
    Skaters Gordie Howe Hat Tricks (GHHT) Default 10
    Skaters Hat Tricks (HT) Default 15
    Skaters Hits (Hit) Default 0.25
    Skaters Overtime Goals (OG) Default 5
    Skaters Penalty Minutes (PIM) Default 0.25
    Skaters Penalty Shot Goals (PSG) Default 5
    Skaters Plus/Minus (+/-) Default 2
    Skaters Shots on Goal (SOG) Default 0.25
    Skaters Power Play Points (PPP) Default 2.5
    Skaters Short Handed Points (SHP) Default 5
    Goalies Assists (A) Default 5
    Goalies Goals (G) Default 5
    Goalies Shootout Losses (ShL) Default 5
    Goalies Goals Against (GA) Default -1
    Goalies Overtime Losses (OL) Default 2.5
    Goalies Saves (SV) Default 0.35
    Goalies Shutouts (SHO) Default 15
    Goalies Wins (W) Default 7.5

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'd also be keeping an eye on Mike Condon as a potential add, I believe you mentioned he was on the wire... who knows what Craig Anderson will do? Speaking of which... if you're not looking to be competitive next year - then I'm looking to target in a deal back up goalies that have potential starter written on them - Dell, Grubauer etc... they'll come cheap and hopefully pay off... I'd also (as mentioned before) take a look at Kappo Kahkonen (Min) there's no one else behind Dubnyk that has starter potential in that system -- you could also look at the older goalies - Anderson/Smith/Elliot as a trade option to cover the gap until a couple of you G prospects start getting NHL starts. Jake Allen is a G most owners are looking to dump as well.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I'd also be keeping an eye on Mike Condon as a potential add, I believe you mentioned he was on the wire... who knows what Craig Anderson will do? Speaking of which... if you're not looking to be competitive next year - then I'm looking to target in a deal back up goalies that have potential starter written on them - Dell, Grubauer etc... they'll come cheap and hopefully pay off... I'd also (as mentioned before) take a look at Kappo Kahkonen (Min) there's no one else behind Dubnyk that has starter potential in that system -- you could also look at the older goalies - Anderson/Smith/Elliot as a trade option to cover the gap until a couple of you G prospects start getting NHL starts. Jake Allen is a G most owners are looking to dump as well.
    One thing to keep in mind regarding Kahkonen. As pointed out in another thread by Jouko-Pouko, the Wild have until June 1st to sign Kahkonen or he'll go back into the 2018 entry-draft.

Also, absolutely do not trade Palat and a 1st-round pick for Varlamov. Like you said, you need to be more patient. I'd take my chances on a 'free' goalie falling into my lap in your dispersal draft if other GMs are asking for too much for a player they're going to have to give up anyway. You won't be competing next season so don't fret about not having a starting goalie.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Solid points. I'm hoping to get at worst Craig Anderson and at best Varlamov now from the goalie dispersal draft, but just poking around and seeing if someone will trade me a starter (somewhat) cheap.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    One thing to keep in mind regarding Kahkonen. As pointed out in another thread by Jouko-Pouko, the Wild have until June 1st to sign Kahkonen or he'll go back into the 2018 entry-draft.

Also, absolutely do not trade Palat and a 1st-round pick for Varlamov. Like you said, you need to be more patient. I'd take my chances on a 'free' goalie falling into my lap in your dispersal draft if other GMs are asking for too much for a player they're going to have to give up anyway. You won't be competing next season so don't fret about not having a starting goalie.
    Thanks, keeping in mind the big picture and not making moves too fast is challenging at first haha. There's sort of a compulsion to push for big deals to try to improve the team fast but that's not how good teams are built.

Would that price be reasonable for Matt Murray if he would bite on that, or still not worth it in your opinion?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm actually okay with waiting on a goalie, because I do have the time. Just wanted to explore options to see if I could get one on the cheap now with the draft coming up.

A potential trade target that really interests me is Borgstrom because his owner has said he is open to dealing him for "depth or picks." What's a reasonable offer I could make for Henrik Borgstrom? I love this guy's potential.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'd ask for a bit more info from that owner on what he defines as depth & picks.... cuz I'm thinking Maata & a couple late 3rds

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'd ask for a bit more info from that owner on what he defines as depth & picks.... cuz I'm thinking Maata & a couple late 3rds
    Thanks! I'll try and see what he says. After this I will do my best to sit tight until the draft unless something great comes up haha.

Since I went out and got Sorokin for better or worse, do you think there's any value to be had in trying to acquire Soderstrom for cheap? Just to insure my claim to a future NYI starter. Maybe this is not needed though. I really think it will be Sorokin eventually.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think you need to stop trying to acquire goalies "for cheap". If they are on the wire, grab them - there are decent enough options there with some value. Having 2 prospects from a system insure nothing other than having 2 prospects.

That Palat deal is awful. In my opinion, Varlamov is the guy Colorado should've exposed in the expansion draft. It's worked out, but he's at best average NHL starter. Don't trade 1st round picks for that, nor players like Palat unless you are in contention & desperate.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I think you need to stop trying to acquire goalies "for cheap". If they are on the wire, grab them - there are decent enough options there with some value. Having 2 prospects from a system insure nothing other than having 2 prospects.

That Palat deal is awful. In my opinion, Varlamov is the guy Colorado should've exposed in the expansion draft. It's worked out, but he's at best average NHL starter. Don't trade 1st round picks for that, nor players like Palat unless you are in contention & desperate.
    this is a good point... you are focusing in a lot on obtaining goalies, lots of goalies. If you're writing off next season now... then you've got 16 months to solve your goalie dilemma. Take the redraft goalie and grab a backup off the wire that will have a great shot at starting 50% of games and call it good for a year. Everyone will know you're in the market for another G... so you'll get lots of trade offers over the rest of the season. In a H2H league... a combo of Condon/Halak/Varlamov or Anderson or Smith - will probably net you 30% of goalie cats throughout the season. So you won't get fully run over. Even goalies like Helle, Vasil & Holtby get lit up at some point.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

I hadn't seen JP post about that in other threads. That's really good to know. I've got him stored in one pool, close watch in another. I'll be keeping a very close eye on him in the draft now!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Great points, thanks for all the input.

Big Daddy

Palat + low 1st won't land you Matt Murray unfortunately. I wouldn't be offering anything for Varlamov either as you'll likely be able to get him for free at the dispersal draft. If you really want to acquire a goalie via trade, two names that come to mind are Juuse Saros and Cam Talbot. Rinne won't be Nashville's starter forever and Saros looks very promising. I'd be willing to pay the Palat + 1st price for Saros but I don't think it'll be enough, but I'd definitely try. Saros would be my number 1 target right now as well because he should be significantly cheaper than starters and he fits your rebuild timeline. I also mentioned Talbot because of the horrible season he just had. This will come down to how his owner values him right now. Some Talbot owners are trying to sell and are nervous about last season's numbers while others expect a bounce back.

I've noticed a few posts by you in regards to this goalie dispersal draft and another by a rival GM. It has been very interesting. I'd love to follow along as well. When is the draft and could you post all the selections for us? Good luck!
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström