Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dahlin vs Svechnikov - Who to draft for fantasy?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Dahlin vs Svechnikov - Who to draft for fantasy?

I think we can all agree who the better prospect is in real life, but does that change for fantasy?

I am lucky to have the 1st overall pick in a dynasty league and have to choose between the two. Scoring is in sig.

Overall the question is will Dahlin be able to out produce Svechnikov despite being a D-man? Having points for hits+blocks should make it more even, but I'm not sure.
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Dahlin vs Svechnikov - Who to draft for fantasy?

Personally I would draft the forward over the D early on but that's me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by jshed2 View Post
    I think we can all agree who the better prospect is in real life, but does that change for fantasy?

I am lucky to have the 1st overall pick in a dynasty league and have to choose between the two. Scoring is in sig.

Overall the question is will Dahlin be able to out produce Svechnikov despite being a D-man? Having points for hits+blocks should make it more even, but I'm not sure.
    I wonder, looking at your D, if you're the exception where you draft based on need over higher offensive ceiling. I'm all for having Dmen that are peripheral studs, but you should also have one capable of putting up 30+pts. If you can get an offensive dynamo in one D slot I think you have to go Dahlin at #1
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

In a points league I am drafting Dahlin #1... the potential for him to be a elite D man is real and I would love to have a 60 point D man on my roster.

But since this is a multi-cat league where goals are worth double the amount of assist and 5.33 shots is the same value as a goal... I am picking the forward in Svehcnikov here!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Long-term, I like Dahlin even for fantasy hockey purposes. But with defensemen, there's a longer waiting period. They take longer to mature, and they can't produce much on a bad team. Defensemen have to focus on defending first, and once their defensive game is at NHL level, they can start doing more offensively. Wing is the easiest position to play which means wingers can become offensive forces earlier and don't rely so much on others to produce. Wingers spend the least amount of time and effort defending.

At least wait until after the draft lottery before spending another thought on this. Then you'll know where they end up which is especially important for Dahlin. Buffalo and Edmonton would be great options for his fantasy hockey value.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I am having this same issue. I will more than likely draft 2nd overall. I have a feeling the 1st pick will be used on Svech. Now, in my league where we only count goals/assists, do I go with the stud D man or the shifty winger, Zadina? It's a tough call. Myself, I tend to lean more towards forwards but if Dahlin is close to being a Hedman or EK, I may reconsider. If you guys had to choose, who are you picking? Dahlin or Zadina? Sorry to hijack your post but I feel this will help me come draft day.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    I am having this same issue. I will more than likely draft 2nd overall. I have a feeling the 1st pick will be used on Svech. Now, in my league where we only count goals/assists, do I go with the stud D man or the shifty winger, Zadina? It's a tough call. Myself, I tend to lean more towards forwards but if Dahlin is close to being a Hedman or EK, I may reconsider. If you guys had to choose, who are you picking? Dahlin or Zadina? Sorry to hijack your post but I feel this will help me come draft day.
    Not a hijack... just an extension. I have an addiction toward point producing Dmen.. I'd personally take Dahlin at #2
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

For OP - see what JP's post said. It's spot on imo.

For Mike's - Like JP noted, it takes D longer (typically) to develop than F. EK didn't "jump" til his 3rd year and Heds til his 4th. If you can afford to wait, I'm going Dahlin. If you're in it to win the next 2 years, Zadina makes sense.

But as JP mentioned, if at all possible, at least wait until the lottery to see the likely landing spots as situational factors can expedite or slow things more than talent alone.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Legend

I would 100% take Dahlin 1st overall. Even if it takes 3 years, I'm fully convinced he'll be putting up Hedman numbers in the NHL. You're looking at an elite fantasy player at his position, with the raw talent to challenge the Karlssons of the world one day. Svechnikov, I like him, but he's not Laine, Matthews, MacKinnon material in my eyes. Even if he ends up a 75-80 point player one day, I'm taking the D who can flirt with 70.

Dobber Sports Ace

It completely depends on your league and how valuable D are compared with forwards. In a league like mine, 18 teams, multi -cat dynasty with PPP, hits, blocks, PIMS, SHP and SOG I might go with Dahlin as Dmen can be very valuable.
    If it's more a points heavy league, goals and assists only, or a shallow league with Dmen available I would have to go with Svechnikov.

I might go with Svechnikov either way if he really looks to become as good as people say. All though there is a ton of hype surrounding him, as it surrounds other prospects like Tolvanen. As good as Svechnikov is considered, I think there is still more risk involved than with Dahlin.

But yea, in leagues where Dmen goals count extra, Dahlin is definitely my 1st choice. But otherwise, it would completely depend on league specifics.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Big Daddy

A similar question was answered on the Keeping Karlsson podcast by Cam Robinson not too long ago. I believe he even put Zadina over Dahlin. So according to him (well respected fantasy prospect guy)....

Svechnikov
    Zadina
    Dahlin

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    I would take Dahlin at #1 so if he's there at #2.....

Dobber Sports Prodigy

No chance Dahlin should be slipping to 3. Hes a potential 70+ point dman. He should be taken 1st overall in all formats in my opinion. There will be more zadinas and svechnikovs in the near future.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FeenCity View Post
    No chance Dahlin should be slipping to 3. Hes a potential 70+ point dman. He should be taken 1st overall in all formats in my opinion. There will be more zadinas and svechnikovs in the near future.
    I absolutely agree. Look at the way the NHL is trending - offensive D are controlling the play, leading the transition, and putting up points in bunches. Dahlin could be the best D prospect since Denis Potvin - better than Pronger, Niedermayer, Doughty, Hedman, E. Johnson, Ekblad, Larsson, etc. in their draft years. He's a puck wizard with good size - should top off around 6-3, 215. He's exactly where the league is going in terms of dynamic, offensive defensemen. He's been labelled a "can't miss" by anyone who's watched him over the years and has been compared to countrymen Karlsson, Hedman and Lidstrom. The only way I'm passing on that is if a similar "can't miss" forward like McDavid, Laine or Matthews is on the board, which neither Svechnikov or Zadina project to be.

If we take each player at their absolute best comparisons, it's a clear win for Dahlin ...

(COMP / BEST CASE)

Dahlin - HEDMAN / LIDSTROM

Svechnikov - TARASENKO / HOSSA

Zadina - F. FORSBERG / HEATLEY

Dobber Sports Ace

The way some people rate Svechnikov I’m surprised he’s not being given more votes for first pick. I don’t know myself, but to, but Svechnikov is being described as a super prospect, the best winger since Laine. If not a generational player then certainly the next best thing. Surely Dahlin and Svechnikov will go at 1 & 2. But some leagues forwards are just worth so much more than d.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)