Thread: Trade offers - rebuilding team +REP

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Trade offers - rebuilding team +REP

So I recently decided to take over a hard rebuild of a team. 16 team league.

I keep getting offers for Teuvo Teravainen and want to know what you think of this:

1st Offer:

Send:
    Teravainen
    2018 Entry Draft Pick, Round 2 (30th overall)

Receive:
    Tyson Jost
    Jordan Kyrou
    Filip Chlapik
    2018 Entry Draft Pick, Round 1 (8th overall)

Here is a 2nd, separate offer for increased draft depth that I think I should accept but want to know if there's any reason I should hang onto the 9th overall pick...

2nd Offer:

Send:
    2018 Entry Draft Pick, Round 1 (9th overall)

Receive:
    2018 Entry Draft Pick, Round 1 (12th overall)
    2018 Entry Draft Pick, Round 2 (18th overall)

I posted my team in a different thread, but thought I should start a new one for trade help. Team below:

Main Roster:

Skaters:
    Teuvo Teravainen
    Radek Faksa
    Yanni Gourde
    Kevin Labanc
    Brandon Sutter
    Thomas Tata
    r
    Joel Edmundson
    Derek Forbort
    Olli Maatta

Gustav Olofsson
    Anthony Beauvillier
    Anders Bjork
    Jake DeBrusk
    Adrian Kempe
    Alex Killorn
    Ondrej Palat
    Tanner Pearson
    Miles Wood
    Jake Dotchin

Goalies:
    Jaroslav Halak
    Chad Johnson
    Jared Coreau

Minors:

Skaters:
    Zach Aston-Reese
    Michael McCarron
    Martin Necas
    Ryan Poehling
    Jeremy Bracco
    Jordan Greenway
    Charles Hudon
    Ivan Lodnia
    Zach Senshyn
    Oscar Fantenberg
    Gustav Forsling
    Jeremy Lauzon
    Nicolas Meloche
    Jan Rutta

Goalies:
    Callum Booth
    Kristers Gudlevskis
    Alex Nedelijkovic
    Keith Petruzzelli
    Felix Sandstrom
    Joseph Woll

Current draft picks:
    2018 - 1(9th overall), 2,2,3,3,3,4,4
    2019 - 3,3,3,4,4,4,4
    2020 - 1,2,3,4

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

- - - Updated - - -

Scoring Group
    Scoring Category
    Position
    Skaters Defense 7.5
    Skaters Blocks (Blk) Default 0.25
    Skaters Faceoffs Won (FOW) Default 0.1
    Skaters Games Played (GP) Default
    Skaters Game Winning Goals (GWG) Default 5
    Skaters Goals (G) Default 5
    Skaters Defense 7.5
    Skaters Shootout Goals (ShG) Default 2.5
    Skaters Gordie Howe Hat Tricks (GHHT) Default 10
    Skaters Hat Tricks (HT) Default 15
    Skaters Hits (Hit) Default 0.25
    Skaters Overtime Goals (OG) Default 5
    Skaters Penalty Minutes (PIM) Default 0.25
    Skaters Penalty Shot Goals (PSG) Default 5
    Skaters Plus/Minus (+/-) Default 2
    Skaters Shots on Goal (SOG) Default 0.25
    Skaters Power Play Points (PPP) Default 2.5
    Skaters Short Handed Points (SHP) Default 5
    Goalies Assists (A) Default 5
    Goalies Goals (G) Default 5
    Goalies Shootout Losses (ShL) Default 5
    Goalies Goals Against (GA) Default -1
    Goalies Overtime Losses (OL) Default 2.5
    Goalies Saves (SV) Default 0.35
    Goalies Shutouts (SHO) Default 15
    Goalies Wins (W) Default 7.5

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Trade offers - rebuilding team +REP

BJ,

I would jump on trade offer #1. In 2 years, Jost has the ability to surpass Teravainen outright. I love getting the 8th overall pick. The rest is straight gravy.

I wouldn't touch trade offer #2 under any circumstances.

The 8th overall is the sweetener that makes this a no-brainer for me. In a very deep league, you get to draft and stash one of...

xx 1. Dahlin
    xx 2. Svechnikov
    xx 3. Zadina
    xx 4. Wahlstrom
    5. Tkachuk
    6. Hughes
    7. Boqvist
    8. Dobson / Bouchard / Smith / Farabee

^ is the same reason I wouldn't move the 9 pick. In a deep keeper I want to get my mitts on one of these pups. And Jost is legit - In 2020, I think he starts to breakout.

And, if I'm reading your OP correctly, you already own the 9th overall - so that means you can handpick studs back to back. It also gives you the possibility of packaging both 8+9 to move up to maybe 5, and steal a future monster like Wahlstrom if he drops. Maybe even higher if the GM in the 4th slot loves a couple of players that will be there at 8+9.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    BJ,

I would jump on trade offer #1. In 2 years, Jost has the ability to surpass Teravainen outright. I love getting the 8th overall pick. The rest is straight gravy.

I wouldn't touch trade offer #2 under any circumstances.

The 8th overall is the sweetener that makes this a no-brainer for me. In a very deep league, you get to draft and stash one of...

xx 1. Dahlin
    xx 2. Svechnikov
    xx 3. Zadina
    xx 4. Wahlstrom
    5. Tkachuk
    6. Hughes
    7. Boqvist
    8. Dobson / Bouchard / Smith / Farabee

^ is the same reason I wouldn't move the 9 pick. In a deep keeper I want to get my mitts on one of these pups. And Jost is legit - In 2020, I think he starts to breakout.

And, if I'm reading your OP correctly, you already own the 9th overall - so that means you can handpick studs back to back. It also gives you the possibility of packaging both 8+9 to move up to maybe 5, and steal a future monster like Wahlstrom if he drops. Maybe even higher if the GM in the 4th slot loves a couple of players that will be there at 8+9.
    Thanks, that's helpful and you're right I do currently own the 9th overall pick. How do you view Brannstrom vs. the top defensemen in the 2018 draft?

I had another offer for Brannstrom + Vrana + Severson for the 9th overall pick.

*Edited

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BJMit View Post
    Thanks, that's helpful and you're right I do currently own the 9th overall pick. How do you view Brannstrom vs. the top defensemen in the 2018 draft?

I had another offer for Brannstrom + Vrana + Severson for the 9th overall pick.

*Edited
    Yikes. Now you lay a toughie on me!!

I'll say this - if you get the 8, I would give this deal a very long look. But, put the 8 to bed first, before that slips away.

I really like Brannstrom. My spidey sense has been tingling about him - the same way it was about Tyson Barrie and Shayne Gostisbehere before they arrived. My biggest concern with Brannstrom is the Knights stocked blue line with Theodore, Hague, Whitecloud, etc. But Brannstrom could be another Enstrom or Vatanen ... and if it really pans out ... Barrie. Vrana also intrigues me. I've soured on Severson but he has some "value."

I'm not 100% sold on moving 9 yet, but if you could leave the draft with ...

OUT
    Teravainen
    9th pick
    30th pick

IN
    Jost
    Vrana
    Brannstrom
    Kyrou
    Chlapik
    Severson
    8th pick (let's say Dobson)

... I think you are a better club without a doubt.

My biggest thought is - could packing 8+9 really move you into Top-4 stud territory?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yikes. Now you lay a toughie on me!!

I'll say this - if you get the 8, I would give this deal a very long look. But, put the 8 to bed first, before that slips away.

I really like Brannstrom. My spidey sense has been tingling about him - the same way it was about Tyson Barrie and Shayne Gostisbehere before they arrived. My biggest concern with Brannstrom is the Knights stocked blue line with Theodore, Hague, Whitecloud, etc. But Brannstrom could be another Enstrom or Vatanen ... and if it really pans out ... Barrie. Vrana also intrigues me. I've soured on Severson but he has some "value."

I'm not 100% sold on moving 9 yet, but if you could leave the draft with ...

OUT
    Teravainen
    9th pick
    30th pick

IN
    Jost
    Vrana
    Brannstrom
    Kyrou
    Chlapik
    Severson
    8th pick (let's say Dobson)

... I think you are a better club without a doubt.

My biggest thought is - could packing 8+9 really move you into Top-4 stud territory?
    Got the deal done!! Thanks for your help.

Send:
    Teravainen

Receive:
    Tyson Jost
    Jordan Kyrou
    Filip Chlapik

Another possible offer on the table (lol)

His Sorokin for my Yanni Gourde. Tempted to do this as goalies score a LOT in this league as you can see above.

Dobber Sports Legend

Got the deal done!! Thanks for your help.

Send:
    Teravainen

Receive:
    Tyson Jost
    Jordan Kyrou
    Filip Chlapik

Another possible offer on the table (lol)

His Sorokin for my Yanni Gourde. Tempted to do this as goalies score a LOT in this league as you can see above.
    I like it. Next year you will feel it a bit but once Jost takes the next step you will be in great shape. I think you are getting a gem at 8.

As for the Brannstrom+ for 9 - sit tight on that for now. No rush there.

I'm conflicted on the Sorokin for Gourde. I think Sorokin has incredible potential but Gourde is a steady producer in his 20's. Value wise, it's not awful, but you're going to have to wait 3 years for anything significant out of Sorokin, IMO. That's a long time ... but, man, you need a stud in net. Could you get Carter Hart for a similar deal? Or Samsonov? Maybe someone a little closer to the dance? Or, see if they would add a 1st to the deal. I wouldn't rush on that one either way ... wait it out, continue to negotiate, and see how bad they want Gourde.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I like it. Next year you will feel it a bit but once Jost takes the next step you will be in great shape. I think you are getting a gem at 8.

As for the Brannstrom+ for 9 - sit tight on that for now. No rush there.

I'm conflicted on the Sorokin for Gourde. I think Sorokin has incredible potential but Gourde is a steady producer in his 20's. Value wise, it's not awful, but you're going to have to wait 3 years for anything significant out of Sorokin, IMO. That's a long time ... but, man, you need a stud in net. Could you get Carter Hart for a similar deal? Or Samsonov? Maybe someone a little closer to the dance? Or, see if they would add a 1st to the deal. I wouldn't rush on that one either way ... wait it out, continue to negotiate, and see how bad they want Gourde.
    I could try those other goalies, but he offered

Send:
    Yanni Gourde
    2018 Entry Draft Pick, Round 2 (31 overall)

Receive:
    Sorokin
    2019 Entry Draft Pick, 1st (on a good team so won't be terribly high of a pick, but still a 1st)

And I'm tempted to accept that.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd pass on that offer for Sorokin. If I remember right, you will get to draft a goalie in a dispersal draft. I'd try and get one before the draft as well in trade, but on the cheap.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd pass on the Sorokin option. Go for the "bird in the hand" here in Gourde, on a great team.

If it were me I'd honestly probably do the 9th for the 12th and 18th. A drop of three to pick up another first rounder is likely to be worth it.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Jedi

Send:
    Yanni Gourde

Receive:
    Sorokin
    2019 Entry Draft Pick, 1st (on a good team so won't be terribly high of a pick, but still a 1st)

first - I love the Jost deal for you, getting 8th O/A is huge gravy! Soft season ='s homerun for you in two years.

I'm with the others on this deal, Sorokin is minimum 2 years away (under KHL contract). Gourde is 60+pts now. I'd take a good look at the dispersal draft and if I remember correctly, there were a couple ok options on the wire (Condon comes to mind).

One thing to be very conscious of after that TT trade - it appears to others that you're willing to move out young talent for prospects. When in reality, this is a value trade that you are set to win outright within two years (Kyrou is nothing to sneeze at & I really like me some Chlapik)... so now they are swooping at your other producing players - don't play that game.

While it's nice to get picks... this is fantasy hockey - a rebuild does not need, nor should take more than two years to become competitive. I'd try offering Kyrou 1-1 for Sorokin vs. giving up a guy that just put up 64pts as a rookie.

IMO... you already have too many G prospects on your roster. I prefer a 20% rule as a max - meaning 20% of my prospect roster at most dedicated to G's for two reasons 1. they're a crap shoot, outside of those labelled blue chippers -- but even those lead to #2 - length of time in getting a return is too long to eat up large chunks of your prospect roster.

Take Woll for example - Leafs best G prospect, but we're looking at another year in Univ. (draft year +3 be end of 18/19) at best he goes to the Marlies - and Sparks has become Leafs backup - you're looking at another 2 years before he's getting a sniff at an NHL start. That's a total of a 6 year wait - just to become Andersen's back up. -- you can always find G's closer - Kappo Kahkonnen Minn is a good example. A lot of leagues he's floating on the WW... yet he's Minn's #1 G prospect and further along than Woll. It comes down to research & timing. Demko's a great example of a blue chipper G normal time line.

I'd try to package Woll or Sandstrom in a deal for a Dman that can help now so you can start getting some real production there - Andersson in Cgy would be a decent target (possibly even 1-1) - especially if Cgy moves a Dman from their roster.

I'd hold Booth and Nedeljkovic - Carolina's going to have a starting job come up in the next couple of years once Ward retires. A much better chance of landing a Starting G from within in 3yrs time
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Expert

Send:
    Yanni Gourde

Receive:
    Sorokin

I would. Your team is, to be blunt, awful (that is, today. In a few years, we will see). You will not be competing for years. Gourde is a good player, but is not a player to build around. Given your team, I would trade him for picks and work on that rebuild. You could find a gem in the first, even if not first overall.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If your team is have a redistribution of goalies I'm assuming that a lot of teams are going to be loosing some really good goalies for nothing. Why not take advantage of that and make an offer to one of those GM's for a goalie they're forced to drop. Say Gourde for Talbot( you had mentioned he would most likely be available in the dispersal draft). Then when that draft happens, you still get 1st pick in goalies and can pick up a second NHL goalie.
    12 team Keeper League.
    25 man roster, 5 man bench, 2 prospects, keep 9. Must ice 4D, 1 Goalie
    Skaters 1pt G/A,
    Goalies .05pts per save, 1pts SO, .75pts per win -.25 for GA

Forwards
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Eichel, Backstrom, Svechnikov, Stone, Meier, Perron, Voracek, Wilson, Pearson, Vrana, E. Stall, Pajeau

Defence
    Hedman, Klingberg, Letang, Yandle

Goalie
    Bobrovsky

Bench
    Ritchie (G), Zucker, Guentzel, Neal, Ekblad (D)

Prospects
    Zegras, Kaprisov