Thread: Help me choose who to lose

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Help me choose who to lose

Hey all,

My league is in my signature. Long story short in order to better the league I commission we are dropping down from 3 goalies to 2. (Top teams are stacked with 3 starters, bottom feeder got backup and fringe goalies). So we are doing a mini 1 round dispersal draft. We are all allowed to protect 2 goalies and expose one. To eliminate exposing 1 of mine and losing him for nothing I am looking to trade.

I currently have Rask/Quick/Talbot. Who should I (not protect)/trade? I currently have two offers on the table. Remember I'd rather get something than lose one for nothing.

Trade 1 (Red is my team):

Cam Talbot
    Corey Perry
    2020 2nd Round Pick (My pick should be 29-32nd overall)

for

2018 12th overall pick
    2018 17th overall pick
    Ryan O'Rielly

Trade 2 (Red is my team):

Jonathan Quick
    Cam Talbot

for

John Gibson
    2018 19th overall pick
    2019 2nd Round Pick (should be 18-22 overall)

Now most teams aren't willing to pony up big because they know they got me by the balls here. 1st trade offers better picks in a deep 2018 draft, however trade two I get younger in net. There aren't many teams in need of a goalie right now (again good teams have their goalies, and the weak ones either have absolute garbage to offer me. Excluding the two offers above.)

So fellow fantasy hockey guys/gals - Do you take either of the above two trades? If so which one and why? If neither, I will 100000% lose the goalie I don't protect in the mini 1 round dispersal draft.
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague
    16 team H2H Full Keeper w/ 20man prospects
    G,GWG,OG,ShG,A,PPP,SHP,HT,FOW,Hits,BLK,PIM,+/-,SOG | W,SHO,SV,OL,GA,ShL (2.5x for defensive points)
    SBFHL Champion: 2013-14, 2017-18

Main Roster
    F:Tavares/Malkin/Benn/Pavelski/Tarasenko
    /Granlund/Parise/Dubois/DeBrincat/Ritchie/Chiasson/Marleau/
    D:Hedman/Subban/Doughty/Rielly/Oleksiak/C. Miller
    G:Rask/Quick

Prospect Roster
    F​: Frederic/Foo/Heponiemi/Mantha/Ho-Sang/Groulx/Safin/Hawryluk/Goldobin/Roslovic/Korshkov/Cj. Smith/Bokk/McBain/Greer/Marody
    D: Jokiharju/Perunovich/M. Phiillips/Weegar
    G: Gillies/Brossoit/Wedgewood/Eriksson EK

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Help me choose who to lose

Trade 1 for me.

O'Reilly is probably an slight upgrade on Perry.
    I view Talbot as your least valuable goalie.
    Nice pick upgrades, and sooner.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Without FOW and with +/- I have little love for O'Reilly... and actually somewhat like Perry in your format... so option #1 is a no go for me.

I don't love option #2 either - but at least you get Gibby who I think will net out as the best player in the deal moving forward. So gun to my head I'm taking the picks and the younger goalie with big talent (but lots of band aids too unfortunately) on a team (ANA) that I think will remain competitive over the next few years.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Giant

I?m ok with both deals considering the situation at hand. I slightly prefer deal 2 since you are getting decent picks back and you are upgrading your crease (Gibson for Quick and then Talbot for the picks). The other deal involves you adding pieces that lessen the value of your return IMO
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Big Daddy

I am really struggling to decide which trade I like more here. Both are nice returns for what you are giving up with all things considered. It's a shame FW isn't a category or else it'd be a no brainer for the O'Reilly side. His value will also go up of he is traded in the summer as some people expect to happen, I'm not so sure myself. But after looking at it all again I still take trade #1. I like the pick upgrades a lot, and you get them this fall. I have never really been a big believer in Gibson and he just can;t seem to stay healthy so I'd stay away from him. Trade #1 for me. Let us know what you decide!
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Thanks for the replies guys. After some more discussions with the GM for trade 1 I was able to make the following trade instead.

I receive

2019 high 2nd rounder
    Pierre Luc Dubois

I give

Cam Talbot
    Corey Perry
    2019 very low first rounder

My team is one of the top 2-3 teams in the league so my first next year is going to be about pick 14-17. Perry I dont really care much about as he appears to be on the decline. Talbot I had to give for obvious reasons due to our goalie dispersal draft. I probably should of tried to get a bit more in return but I am really high on PLD after what I've seen and read. The 2nd rounder will basically be 4-5 picks after my pick I sent him. Hopefully for those who have responded like this even better and I didn't sell myself short. PLD also infuses some youth into my team as he's what, just 19 years old?
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague
    G,GWG,OG,ShG,A,PPP,SHP,HT,FOW,Hits,BLK,PIM,+/-,SOG | W,SHO,SV,OL,GA,ShL (2.5x for defensive points)

Main Roster

Prospect Roster
    F​: Frederic/Foo/Heponiemi/Mantha/Ho-Sang/Groulx/Safin/Hawryluk/Goldobin/Roslovic/Korshkov/Cj. Smith/Bokk/McBain/Greer/Marody

Oh! and for the record, we do count FOW. I am not sure why that isn't listed in my cats in my sig. Will have to fix that.
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague

Main Roster

Prospect Roster

Dobber Sports Jedi

if you count FOW - ROR was the trade you wanted.... he's a monster. The trade you accepted I see as the worst of the 3. Talbot, Perry and the higher pick... if you would have come back here to see the comment about not counting FOW - when you actually do, that probably would have been enough to make you take that deal... I mean he was something like 424 in net face off wins. 1274 fow on the year. Those are top tier numbers.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    if you count FOW - ROR was the trade you wanted.... he's a monster. The trade you accepted I see as the worst of the 3. Talbot, Perry and the higher pick... if you would have come back here to see the comment about not counting FOW - when you actually do, that probably would have been enough to make you take that deal... I mean he was something like 424 in net face off wins. 1274 fow on the year. Those are top tier numbers.
    Dang, now I am kind of bummed/mad at myself. I got high hopes for PLD. Was bascially handcuffed into not getting a nice payment on moving Talbot. I agree with you about the FOW with O'Rielly though. I tried to get a better pick back but he wasn't willing to let go of PLD for nothing.
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague

Main Roster

Prospect Roster

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
    Dang, now I am kind of bummed/mad at myself. I got high hopes for PLD. Was bascially handcuffed into not getting a nice payment on moving Talbot. I agree with you about the FOW with O'Rielly though. I tried to get a better pick back but he wasn't willing to let go of PLD for nothing.
    I love PLD & he's going to be a beast, but with FOW.. few are better than ROR, He can often win that category for a team in roto leagues single handed.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I love PLD & he's going to be a beast, but with FOW.. few are better than ROR, He can often win that category for a team in roto leagues single handed.
    Luckily my league isn't a ROTO league and FOW are worth .25 points. However thats still a decent amount of points for a player. Certainly can help pad your stats. Banking hard on PLD though
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague

Main Roster

Prospect Roster

Big Daddy

Ah crap, you dropped the ball there. Should have hit accept on the ROR offer right away!
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Ah crap, you dropped the ball there. Should have hit accept on the ROR offer right away!
    Yup... but I don't mind the trade you made... I like Dubois.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Yup... but I don't mind the trade you made... I like Dubois.

Well at least I got a few in favor of Dubois. I have read nothing but good articles on him. So banking on he breaks out. Decent return instead of losing a goalie for nothing.
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague

Main Roster

Prospect Roster