Thread: Prospect Eval (rep avail)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Prospect Eval (rep avail)

Just took over a team. Looking for some thoughts regarding a few of my prospects that I am less familiar with...

Here's roughly what I have read, but looking for more details. NHL comparable, expected role in NHL, etc.

Brett Howden - who is this guy? read he is very safe floor, but lower ceiling
    Dal Colle - nose for the net - but trending quickly in the wrong direction
    Frk - ??? - 4th liner?
    Dante Fabbro - heard good things, but stuck behind all the NSH D
    Jeremy Roy - high ceiling, but injured too often

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Prospect Eval (rep avail)

Need some more info? how many teams? how many prospect spots? dynasty/limited keeper? what cats? before trashing on Dal Colle
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

The only one I can offer anything further on is Fabbro.

Yes, he is currently stuck behind those guys in Nashville. But at one point those guys were stuck behind Suter and Weber.

I think Nashville has a great model for developing D and they will move some of those other guys out when it is time and Fabbro should fill in nicely.

Ellis is only under contract for 1 more years and I think he is in for a big raise... and Josi for 2 years and he is is for a huge raise....

so something has to give and I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Subban to keep Josi, and keep Fabbro.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

16 Team H2H dynasty, Start 4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 2G, 8 Bench spots, 15 prospects (max 82 games played)

G/A/Pts/PPP/PIM/SOG/FOW/H+B

Would love to hear that I am wrong about Dal Colle..

Dobber Sports Star

Everything I've seen suggests Howden's most likely role is to be a 3rd liner, with questionable access to a PP1. He'll probably be showcased early to show the fans that NYR got a return on McDonough, but he doesn't seem like a candidate to consistently put up more than 55 pts/year. He needs a situation like WPG where there are so many talented wingers, he centers good wingers on a third line.

You can let Jeremy Roy go until you see that he's playing again. He appears to be destined to miss the NHL due to his body falling apart.

Frk's value is near nothing. His best case is to be used only because Detroit doesn't want to rush younger, more talented players.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter9 View Post
    16 Team H2H dynasty, Start 4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 2G, 8 Bench spots, 15 prospects (max 82 games played)

G/A/Pts/PPP/PIM/SOG/FOW/H+B

Would love to hear that I am wrong about Dal Colle..
    One would think a former 5th overall pick would be better than .4 pt/gm after his second full season in the AHL and draft year +4. Dobber has him listed at #63 on his top 200 prospects lists alongside Sanford, McCarron, Lazar, Scherbak, McLeod, Svechnikov... not exactly elite company. He's been passed by more recent draftee's Beauvillier, Ho-Sang & Bellows..... not to mention Aho, Vande Sompel, Toews (while all D) appear ready to make the jump.

He's done nothing since turning pro to make me think he's going to ever establish himself as a top 6 forward.

That said, he's hitting the make or break point for me, with 16 teams he's worth holding another season - if there's room - to see if it finally all comes together. I'd need results by Christmas, otherwise, I'm seeking out a Troy Terry/Dylan Gambrell/Adam Gaudette type - later round - off the radar type to replace him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

Agree with PH that Fabbro is probably your best of the bunch. Situation indeed isn't ideal - but you're not pressed to roster him before 82 gps anyways.

Not personally big on the remaining 4 - but they're in that "maybe" category that requires really understanding your league/GMs to know if they're worth keeping or not.

For example, do GMs tend to grab the next "hot" thing all the time? E.g. Did they race to grab a guy like Kerfoot? If so, I'd probably hold on to Howden & MDC with the clear intention of moving them if/when they get called up and get hot.

If your GMs tend to value draft pedigree more and wait a while before grabbing prospects, then I'd really consider moving on from those 4 in favour of higher upside guys who aren't as far along developmentally. Because they're "your" guys, you'll likely be watching them more closely upon a recall anyways - so you can (re) grab them then if you feel it's worth it.

Really dependent on knowing your league - but I doubt many of us would condemn for walking away from MDC, Frk & Roy at this stage.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the insight, rep'd who I could