Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Price

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Price

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    you can't compare the two teams on missing a year of playoffs without comparing the entirety of the two teams to determine the ability of said team to bounce back. 'a bit of a pipeline' will just leak out. Until Montreal starts successfully moving whatever prospects they have into the NHL without trouncing their ceilings down a couple floors... it really doesn't matter. Montreal won't bounce back, this team's defence is way to weak to do so. There's plenty of holes in the top 9 that will further prevent that. At best - next season - Price has a Vezina year and they steal a 2nd WC seed. Without a bona-fide top 6 centre on the roster (Pleks resigned or not) this team is destined for high picks. Weber, Petry, Mete, Alzner, Rielly, Benn, Schlemko, Juulsen does not scream playoff contention.

Danault & Froese are the only two actual C's listed on their roster. Chucky just doesn't cut it, he's better on the wing (when he's engaged) Patches is a huge ? for next year, leaving Drouin & Gallagher as the only top 6 forwards on the roster -- Hudon if you really want to stretch.

For a team to bounce back, the pieces need to be there to bounce back. Montreal's roster depth is so severely lacking I'd bet money today they miss the playoffs next year. There's just no way, especially when you look at Tor, TB, Bos already running away with the top 3 spots in the division. Add in Fla and and the deep metro and there's no wildcard room.

My post wasn't irrelevant, discussing Mtl's chances of the playoffs next year IS irrelevant
    You seem to be arguing with someone who's making claims far greater than mine.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by bergman View Post
    You seem to be arguing with someone who's making claims far greater than mine.
    any mention of playoffs with Mtl needs to stomped out like a cigarette tossed out the window in a BC/AB August day.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    any mention of playoffs with Mtl needs to stomped out like a cigarette tossed out the window in a BC/AB August day.
    Lol apparently.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    But he speaks French and that's all that matters.
    As a Habs fan, this is the sad, sad truth
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

The Great One

We've gotten away from the Price question a bit. I agree the Habs are probably not a playoff team next year barring a move for a legit #1 center and some real progress on the back end. So that being said, do I keep Price in my ESPN league (see sig) for next season. We keep 3 and I have McDavid and Matthews and Marner and Giroux up front. And I have Talbot who I think has a much better chance of a rebound than Price does.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
    The Habs are an absolute dumpster fire. I can't figure out for the life of me what they're trying to do.

They're also hogtied by Price's massive salary. Does he get traded, presuming he wants to move?

Vancouver? They now have plenty of cap space, and hes a home town boy.
    I think Bergevin's plan was to try to test the limits of how good Price is by making the team in front of him as terrible as possible.

I don't think he would ask to be traded but I would not be shocked if he was okay moving to Vancouver - I read/heard some rumours suggesting if he was moved that's one place he would ask to go. I'm not convinced he will finish his career in a Hab jersey. But as long as Bergevin is at the helm and desperately trying to squeak into the playoffs to save his job, Price will most likely not be moved. So we'll have to revisit this again next summer at the earliest.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Legend

I don't see how the Habs could possibly trade Price with his contract about to kick in. Even if they retain 20-25% it's still a beast of a CAP hit for a loooooong time. This severely diminishes any type of return the Habs would get for him, which would be a hard sell in Montreal. The press would eat Bergevin and Geoff Molson alive. The fans are still salty over Subban and Sergachev. This would be a PR nightmare for the Canadiens and would be the ultimate declaration of incompetence. How do you label this man your franchise player, sign him to a lifetime contract, then trade him a year later and pay 25% of his remaining salary to boot?!

The only way Price could justifiably be traded is if he demanded a trade or publicly caused friction via the media. Then it's "on him" and the organization is "just trying to do what's best for the team", a la Patrick Roy. And I definitely don't see that happening. It's not in Carey's DNA and he's too smart for that nonsense anyway.

Dobber Sports Genius

Well if he doesn't demand a trade, (whether he means it or not, he will have to be good with the fact that the Habs will stink/rebuild for many years to come. His stats will suffer and value diminish. The older he gets the less Montreal gets if they deal him. That was a bad contract for both parties involved (ok maybe it was nice for Price$$) but what I'm saying is that for a goalie as good as Price to waste out his days in Montreal is sad.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by bergman View Post
    There?s no reason to think he?d be moved. You don?t sign a Vezina-winning goaltender to a max-length contract and then change your mind about him after one season. Bergevin is fine so long as the team is back on track next year. Never sure why Claude Julien doesn?t take more of the heat. His old non-playoff team is now great and his new playoff team is now awful. Maybe Julien?s system isn?t great in the modern speed and mobility era. A bad season happens, look at Tampa last year. Montreal is finally starting to get a bit of a prospect pipeline back as well, and has several good picks this draft.
    Ummmm... I thought that's exactly what Montreal does... I once remember them having this Norris Trophy winning Defencemen that they extended and then exterminated shortly after. Forget his name, but do recall the situation...no?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Ummmm... I thought that's exactly what Montreal does... I once remember them having this Norris Trophy winning Defencemen that they extended and then exterminated shortly after. Forget his name, but do recall the situation...no?

Haha, oh boy... If it had been Molson who forced the Price contract, some team could get very lucky.