Thread: Team Evaluation!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Team Evaluation!

Hi all,

I'm looking for some feedback on how I ought to move forward with my team. Who would you keep for sure, and who would you look to move?

Full roster & league details listed in my signature below. I think of Karlsson, OV, Vas, and Kucherov as my sure-fire keepers, but am not quite clear who my top two players are after that (Benn, Tarasenko, Trocheck, Carlson, Schenn). Benn and Tarasenko were my 5th and 6th keepers last year, but I'm wondering if I need to re-think that now. Trocheck was a bit of a revelation. Does he sustain that performance next year?

Development wise, I'd say that I'm still a competing team. I narrowly lost the title this year, but didn't give up much in my chase (I traded out a 2nd, 3rd, and 8th, and brought back in a 3rd, 5th, and 12th).
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Team Evaluation!

I would just take you list of 5 that you're trying to cut down to two, and trade the three that get you the best return. They're all pretty solid players, and I would happily keep any of them. Maybe Trochek is a (small) step below, so I could see not wanting to keep him over the others, but that would be my approach.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I would just take you list of 5 that you're trying to cut down to two, and trade the three that get you the best return. They're all pretty solid players, and I would happily keep any of them. Maybe Trochek is a (small) step below, so I could see not wanting to keep him over the others, but that would be my approach.
    I have nothing to add to this. It's great advice.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

IMO there are two options that I would pursue;

1: I concur with Eskimo Brothers advice
    Or
    2: Identity a team weak on keepers that could use two of the 5 (Benn, Tarasenko. Carlson, Trocheck, Schenn) . Try and move those 2 for a top player you want and a pick. Then look for the best return on the remaining 3 keeping 1 for your last keeper.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Strome, Haula
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Svechnikov-RW/LW, Hathaway
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Benoit, Schneider, Burroughs
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Sage

Go for McDavid and trade any of your top 3 players other than Kucherov, or Kucherov and one other. See if he'll bite. You want him in a limited keeper so do what it takes to get him (especially because of your depth).

If he's unattainable then trade away any of your bottom potential keepers for pick upgrades as mentioned. They are all great players.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks for the advice, all!

I think what I was struggling with the most was whether or not Benn's and Tarasenko's value had "fallen" -- or Schenn's, Carlson's, and Trocheck's value had "risen" -- to the point where all 5 guys were roughly close to equal value. Your comments have helped me to see that I should think of them as roughly interchangeable.

Maybe I should set up another thread to have people rank the value of these 5 skaters...
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers