Thread: Huberdeau - How would you rate his season?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Huberdeau - How would you rate his season?

So, Huberdeau had his best season as a pro. However, I am not quite sure he met expectations. I'm also not sure if he produced as much as he should have playing along Barkov, who by all accounts had a superior season. If this is the extent that Huberdeau can produce, when Barkov has a season like he had, then what does that say about Hubs?

I am wondering mostly, if his trade value will be higher or lower than his actual likely play value heading in to next years fantasy drafts and the start of the season. He doesn't offer much outside of goals and assists. For multi-cat leagues, that could be regarded as a waste of space for certain teams with specific builds. Well, for instance my team and league in my sig. A team where goals and assists aren't an issue.

So yea, curious how others perceive Hubs after this season. And if he's more of a buy low or sell high heading to next year. I am not sure how valuable he could ever really be without producing in more categories, unless it were a points only league. Just for reference, Huberdeau finished the season ranked #171 overall in my league as far as overall production. As far as AVG per game production, which I tend to value more in H2H leagues, he finished a pretty terrible #273. This despite scoring a career high 27 goals and 42 assists for 69 points. At one point in the season he was easily on a PPG pace, which looked like a plausible finish for him, but he then hit some bumps and slowed down. He actually played a full 82 games which is rare for him.

Still only 24 years old, he might still have more room to grow and improve. That is a big positive that he is still so young and likely not the finished product. Taylor Hall took a similar path and has since turned into the true star he is. Hall finished ranked #22 overall in my same league this season, despite mostly contributing in scoring cats. So Huberdeau can still go in that direction, and perhaps make the jump that Hall has made. But he could also go the Jeff Skinner route. A player that despite surpassing 50 and 60 points a season, as stagnated at that production. Further, Skinner has generally been ranked outside the top 200 for most of his career in my multi cat league, and I suspect is only really valuable in leagues with just G/A and SOG.

So yea, I am really unsure of which route Huberdeau is likely to take from here. He could just be a 70 point player, which is still excellent, just not quite as valuable in multi-cat formats. I am definitely considering trading Huberdeau heading into next years league dynasty draft. But I'm just not sure what I would trade him for.

Teams in my league don't seem crazy over him. For instance, the Kopitar owner wouldn't move Anze for Huberdeau and Zuccarello or Hubs and Spooner, which I thought were decent offers early last season. Of course Kopitar went on to return to his top player status, so that offer doesn't account for that. I also am considering trading Huberdeau for a player like Dubois plus perhaps another top prospect or top 10 draft pick. That sounds fair to me being the Huberdeau owner, yet if I were the Dubois and top 10 pick owner, I don't know if I would take that chance on Huberdeau. At this point though, Dubois even might be too expensive. But then I don't know if I could justify offering Huberdeau for Dubois alone. Perhaps 2 prospects instead? Like Chytil and Borgstrom?

I usually don't have this much trouble trying to evaluate a players worth. But Huberdeau honestly has me confused. Right now I'm deciding if Id prefer to trade Hubs or Tolvanen, despite Hubs possibly being Tolvanen's eventual outcome.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Huberdeau - How would you rate his season?

As a former Hubs owner, I've always found him to be soft and peripheral, not willing or strong enough to get into the sandpaper areas and in front of the net. I would say if he somehow gets switched back to Barkov's line, he may be a 70-75 pt guy. I'd peg him at 60-65 though moving forward...

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by hank mooney View Post
    As a former Hubs owner, I've always found him to be soft and peripheral, not willing or strong enough to get into the sandpaper areas and in front of the net. I would say if he somehow gets switched back to Barkov's line, he may be a 70-75 pt guy. I'd peg him at 60-65 though moving forward...
    Yea, thats what's been irking me. His scoring just isn't as valuable to me.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri

Dobber Sports Monster

He had as good of a season I thought he would have. Only thing I was worried about was his health. I'd say he sticks around 70 pts a year for the next 5 years. Possibly hits 80 once or twice but about 70-75 is where I have him pegged.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hubie was PPG playing on Barkov's line about half the season, then evenfually got moved to Trochek's line to try and spread out some scoring. He stuck there the rest of the season but retained his PP1 usage. He definitely slowed down some down the stretch but the Panthers rode their top two lines super hard all season so I was expecting them to slow down at some point.

With health and a full season on Barkov's wing he's got the skill and pedigree to put up 75-80 points. I'm hoping he at least cracks 70 next year.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Genius

If he was rated so low at 69 points I can't imagine what a guy like Gaudreau or Matthews was valued at.

I'd keep him over chasing PLD, not that I don't like him just wouldn't add much, or the other prospects you mentioned. I see him closer to breaking out like Hall as you mentioned compared to the return that seems likely.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Sage

His value is higher in points leagues. The one thing he gets in Florida is tons of opportunity and that's not going to change.

PP1 and over 19 minutes a game likely beside Barkov for a big chunk of the season. If not Barkov he gets trochek, not too shabby.

Health is a bit of a concern for me but pretty nice to see 82 games this year.

I think his value will likely go up from here next season as I see him cracking 70 next year. Two years of 69 and 70 plus is more valuable than a single 69 (that's what she said anyway).

But he's no Taylor Hall. Hall drives the offense a lot better and is more dominant. He won't ever be as good as hall is now imo.

Expect a 65-75 point forward with some injuries and lacking peripherals. I wouldn't value him any higher than that.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I was definitely in your shoes last month.. Huberdeau had a good 3 quarters of the season once moved to the 2nd line his main production relied on his pp1 usage. Florida has alot of decent wingers in Dadonov, Bjugstad, Malgin and they also have Borgstrom coming up. I jumped ship and gave a late round pick upgrade and Huberdeau for Mark Stone and i think thats pretty comparable in value.

I say jump ship and land Dubois hes a center and will be with Panarin long term in all situations!
    - Keeper League / 10 Keepers / 1 PT per G or A / 2 PT per W - 2 PT per SO -

F: Rantanen, Monahan, Barkov, Aho, Wheeler, Keller, Nylander J. Hughes, Reinhart. W. Karlsson, Konecny, Rust, E. Staal, Killorn, Getzlaf,
    D: Krug, Gustafsson, Provorov, Morrissey, DeAngelo
    G: Andersen, Jarry, Rittich, Murray

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Huberdeau makes me scratch my head.. He definitely gets points but watching him play made me trade him in my keeper.. He doesn't get into the heated area's at all, which frustrated me.. In the right situation he will have more seasons like this, but I'm not banking on that..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    If he was rated so low at 69 points I can't imagine what a guy like Gaudreau or Matthews was valued at.

I'd keep him over chasing PLD, not that I don't like him just wouldn't add much, or the other prospects you mentioned. I see him closer to breaking out like Hall as you mentioned compared to the return that seems likely.
    Gaudreau was rAnked #146 overall and Matthews ranked #103 overall in my multicat league. It does make a huge difference in these type of leagues. Not to say Gaudreau and Matthews aren’t still very very valuable in my league as we still need goals, assists etc... which are harder to come by than HITs, blocks etc... Nut it definitely changes the overall landscape of player value.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks for all the great responses. I am definitely weighing on the side of trading Hubs before my dynasty league draft. Perhaps for Dubois even.

Greatly appreciated.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

The Great One

He was amazing. His dogs will go up next year and he'll be a for real threat. Surprised to read this. He's a beast- a quiet 70 points is not something u shrug off

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    He was amazing. His dogs will go up next year and he'll be a for real threat. Surprised to read this. He's a beast- a quiet 70 points is not something u shrug off
    Not worth a great deal in multi-cat leagues. Plenty of scorers that produce peripheral categories to be had.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.