Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jack Hughes - New World Order

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Jack Hughes - New World Order

Jack Hughes - A star in the making

A good friend of mine told me to check out some video on Quinn Hughes the other day. Kid seemed like a solid player. Watched a youtube video and found out he has a younger brother named Jack. Yes I know, you are probably thinking I live under a rock since I don't know who Jack Hughes is, but I did hear of him before. I believe it was Juoko that mentioned him in an earlier thread. Anyhow, Jack Hughes is 16 years old and top line center on the U.S. National Development team. This guy is incredibly creative, has some very slick hands, and speed to burn. I cannot wait to see how his development over the next year.

I was told a couple years ago that USA Hockey is taking over and like a good ol' Canadian boy I wanted to disregard that statement for blatant homer-ism, but I've quickly come to the realization that one day there will be no Canadians in the NHL and that we will be forced to watch all Americans skating around the rink. If you happened to not get the hyperbole, I was joking. However, I do think USA Hockey is going to be a supreme powerhouse one day and will overtake Canadian hockey in terms of talent produced. USA Hockey has the following young players: Jack Eichel, Auston Matthews, Clayton Keller, Brock Boeser, Shayne Gostisbehere, Casey Mittelsdadt, Quinn Hughes, Jack Hughes, Kailer Yamamoto, Keiffer Bellows, Adam Fox ... the list goes on and on. In closing, USA Hockey has an outstanding stable of young talent that looks to be getting stronger and stronger each year.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=209479

Attached Images Attached Images

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Jack Hughes - New World Order

Canada's still developing elite talent. No doubt the world is starting to catch up. Sweden puts out offensive defencemen the way Ikea creates new furniture lines. And Finland is again producing some high end offensive talent after over a decade of really solid 2-way players.

It does appear Canada's elite talents are more mixed with other countries. That said, we're still developing McDavid's & Crosby's .. next up is Alexis Lafreniere
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think it is just a testament to how much skill the game will have and how much scoring there will be in future years. I can't speak for what is was like before the 2000's, but it's almost like a cycle. In 20 years defense and checking will become prominent again.

As far as the Canada vs USA hockey goes, the potential for US to take over is there because of there 300+ million population compared to Canada's 36 million. But as long as Football, Baseball, and Basketball stay ahead of hockey in the US, Canada will be #1.

Dobber Sports Wizard

The Canadian superiority has been taken down a bit these past few years with Sweden and USA especially stepping up their development, and Finland is starting to get closer to Sweden's level recently as well. Finland was doing a horrible job with player development for almost 10 years until they finally realized something needs to change, and we've started to see the results these past few years.

If we look at average rankings for this year, the highest ranked Canadian is 8th overall. But Canada produces a lot of high-end prospects, so their depth is still unmatched even though they may not be at the top each year anymore. It's starting to look like Canada has to wait until 2020 before they see another 1st overall selection, and the last time they've seen one it was Connor McDavid. But relax - a Finnish player has never gone 1st overall in the history of the league. Kaapo Kakko could go 2nd overall next summer but there's no way he can overtake Jack Hughes for 1st overall.

And yes, Jack Hughes will be a star and even though he's still just 16, he'll be one of the best players at the U18 Worlds which start next week (tournament previews to be published next week at DobberProspects). It'll be interesting to see where he plays next season because he's already too good for the USHL. I've read something about him possibly being eligible to play college hockey next season, and I'm sure Canadians would love to see him in the OHL but personally, I'd love to see him come to Europe and play pro hockey for a year - I think he's ready for it. But that's most likely just a dream for us Europeans.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    And yes, Jack Hughes will be a star and even though he's still just 16, he'll be one of the best players at the U18 Worlds which start next week (tournament previews to be published next week at DobberProspects). It'll be interesting to see where he plays next season because he's already too good for the USHL. I've read something about him possibly being eligible to play college hockey next season, and I'm sure Canadians would love to see him in the OHL but personally, I'd love to see him come to Europe and play pro hockey for a year - I think he's ready for it. But that's most likely just a dream for us Europeans.
    I can't see Hughes coming to the OHL next year. Mississauga owns his rights and there is no way he is going to play there. London could always pull something out of nowhere and make a trade using the assets they picked up at the deadline this year.

It would definitely be interesting to see him take the Auston Matthews route though.
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M

G (1) A (1) +/- (.25) PIM (.05) SOG (.05) PPP (.5) HIT (.05) BLK (.05) FOW (.01)
    W (1.75) GA (-1) SV (.1) SO (3)

C: Seguin, Kuznetsov, Trocheck, Johansen, Kostin
    LW: Benn, Lindblom, Dickinson, Kubalik
    RW: Tuch, Fabbri, Bjorkstrand, Terry
    D: Klingberg, Chabot, Girard, Spurgeon, C Miller, Theodore, Marino
    G: Hellebuyck, Berdin

C: Elvenes, Vorobyev, Spacek, Jones, Eyssimont, Daviddson, Shvyrev
    LW: Dorofyev, Koivula, Shalagin, Dugan, Cates, Ranta
    RW: Volkov, Fortier, Evans, Blichfeld, Legare, Tieksola
    D: Laaksonen, Gilbert, Pilut
    G: Samsonov, Sorokin, Knight, Zagidulin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SensArmy93 View Post
    I can't see Hughes coming to the OHL next year. Mississauga owns his rights and there is no way he is going to play there. London could always pull something out of nowhere and make a trade using the assets they picked up at the deadline this year.

It would definitely be interesting to see him take the Auston Matthews route though.
    Yeah but he could force a trade if he's willing to play in the OHL in general.

Matthews was almost a year older than Hughes which made him much more mature physically. Hughes probably wouldn't be ready to be such an impact player as Matthews was during his season in Switzerland. Not sure of all the rules in different leagues but at least in Switzerland, you're not eligible to play at the top level until you turn 18 which was why Matthews had to wait a week or so into the season before he played his first game. So Hughes would not be able to play there at all. But I don't know if the Finnish or Swedish leagues have such a rule. At least their own players can play at 16 and 17 but not sure if there's some different rule for import players.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Yeah but he could force a trade if he's willing to play in the OHL in general.

Matthews was almost a year older than Hughes which made him much more mature physically. Hughes probably wouldn't be ready to be such an impact player as Matthews was during his season in Switzerland. Not sure of all the rules in different leagues but at least in Switzerland, you're not eligible to play at the top level until you turn 18 which was why Matthews had to wait a week or so into the season before he played his first game. So Hughes would not be able to play there at all. But I don't know if the Finnish or Swedish leagues have such a rule. At least their own players can play at 16 and 17 but not sure if there's some different rule for import players.
    Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks for sharing!

I'd love to see him in the OHL, but as you mentioned I've also read that he is trying to get is NCAA eligibility and could likely try to join Quinn at Michigan.
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M

G (1) A (1) +/- (.25) PIM (.05) SOG (.05) PPP (.5) HIT (.05) BLK (.05) FOW (.01)
    W (1.75) GA (-1) SV (.1) SO (3)

C: Seguin, Kuznetsov, Trocheck, Johansen, Kostin
    LW: Benn, Lindblom, Dickinson, Kubalik
    RW: Tuch, Fabbri, Bjorkstrand, Terry
    D: Klingberg, Chabot, Girard, Spurgeon, C Miller, Theodore, Marino
    G: Hellebuyck, Berdin

C: Elvenes, Vorobyev, Spacek, Jones, Eyssimont, Daviddson, Shvyrev
    LW: Dorofyev, Koivula, Shalagin, Dugan, Cates, Ranta
    RW: Volkov, Fortier, Evans, Blichfeld, Legare, Tieksola
    D: Laaksonen, Gilbert, Pilut
    G: Samsonov, Sorokin, Knight, Zagidulin

Dobber Sports Ace

Are Lafrenier and Hughes the two big prospects to watch over the next couple of years? Like, generational talent types?
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SensArmy93 View Post
    Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks for sharing!

I'd love to see him in the OHL, but as you mentioned I've also read that he is trying to get is NCAA eligibility and could likely try to join Quinn at Michigan.
    I just don't understand what's the point of spending one season in college. We all know he's playing in the NHL in 2019-2020, so why bother. I also wonder if Quinn is one-and-done in college as well.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    Are Lafrenier and Hughes the two big prospects to watch over the next couple of years? Like, generational talent types?
    Not generational (Crosby/McDavid) but franchise level prospects somewhere in the Matthews/Laine/Eichel range if all goes well. Dahlin is probably in that same range as well.

Dobber Sports Icon

Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Monster

They're the top ones. Franchise players for sure. Another one to keep an eye on in 2020 is Quinton Byfield.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Wizard

Not sure of all the rules in different leagues but at least in Switzerland, you're not eligible to play at the top level until you turn 18 which was why Matthews had to wait a week or so into the season before he played his first game. So Hughes would not be able to play there at all. But I don't know if the Finnish or Swedish leagues have such a rule. At least their own players can play at 16 and 17 but not sure if there's some different rule for import players.
    Quoting myself because I just remembered that Kristian Vesalainen played in the SHL when he was just 16 years old, so I believe Jack Hughes would be eligible to play there as well. I think Finland has similar rules but can't remember any case of an underage player coming from outside of Finland to play in the top Finnish league. Couldn't find any such case from EliteProspects either.

Dobber Sports Ace

Not generational (Crosby/McDavid) but franchise level prospects somewhere in the Matthews/Laine/Eichel range if all goes well. Dahlin is probably in that same range as well.
    Very good to know. Will consider trading for a high 2019 1st round draft pick in my league if that's the case. Lafrenier, Hughes and Byfield are all a year behind Dahlin I would guess?

And I had thought perhaps Dahlin would be closer to a defensive version of Crosby/McDavid level prospect. But perhaps not. I guess Erik Karlsson, Burns and Hedman would be the top D to compare with. All though Burns didn't do it his whole career. I suspect though Dahlin is ranked ahead of even McAvoy as far as level of D prospect?
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Icon

I suspect though Dahlin is ranked ahead of even McAvoy as far as level of D prospect?
    yes..at least i do anyway.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)