Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Honka

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Honka

Posted this in prospects discussion, but decided to move it here (can someone remove my prospects post?)

What are people's thoughts on Honka moving forward - he had a very underwhelming year? Have people soured on him, or are they still confident he reaches his potential?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Honka

He was struggling to make the roster on a nightly basis at first. Consistent effort and preventing goals against was probably the msg he got from management, so I believe he went out and did that.

I don't think anyone here believes that he is going to stay in the NHL playing as a defensive dman.

John's concussion opened the door a tad as well.

There are a few other promising defensmen in the pipeline behind him too.

NHL teams place a premium on skating defensemen and Honka fits that bill nicely
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As a Honka owner in a points only dynasty league I haven't soured on him but soured on his situation with the organization. With the emergence of Klingberg as the elite point producing dman and with Heiskanen in the fold, Honka will need to be moved elsewhere to have a chance at hitting his potential.
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Dobber Sports Ace

not sure he will reach the offensive upside many expect. I see him more as a 2nd or 3rd pairing D. Maybe 2nd PP unit as well. I don’t at least think he willcomparewellwith his comparative D PRosprcts might.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Next season, I think Dallas starts with something like this:
    Lindell-Klingberg
    Methot-Johns
    Heiskanen-Honka

Eventually, I see it changing to:
    Heiskanen-Klingberg
    Lindell-Honka
    Methot-Johns

Honka will be behind Klingberg and Heiskanen for offensive opportunities, and he'll battle with Lindell for those opportunities. But good news is that they don't really have anyone else in the system who would be a threat for him, so unless they acquire a defenseman via trade, this group will stick together and they need to figure out who plays what role.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Maybe Honka will be in same situation as in Nashville in future, Subban, Josi, Ellis.

That's not too bad ?
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Administrator

He's an NHL dman but I don't believe he reaches his potential.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

As usually happens, if a guy with high expectations doesnt pop early on, people begin to let doubts creep in.

He's young on a team full of young D. Patience kids. In the D world he's still riding prospect status.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Well Hitch has retired so perhaps a new coach gives Honka at least a better shot at gaining more minutes
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Well Hitch has retired so perhaps a new coach gives Honka at least a better shot at gaining more minutes
    Your optimism cheers this Honka owner up a great deal.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As usually happens, if a guy with high expectations doesnt pop early on, people begin to let doubts creep in.

He's young on a team full of young D. Patience kids. In the D world he's still riding prospect status.
    I think it's partially that, but also partially lots of fantasy owners have game limitations and/or age limitations on their prospects, if they aren't seriously trending up when they graduate from that status, it's decision time. Honka appears to be trending to the drop decision more than hold.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think honka could be considered a buy low. The coaching change can?t hurt and if you could get him as a sweetener to a deal. Defenders seem to need a little more time and I am all for someone learning to play pro in the AHL. I think I?ll hold one more year.

In my mind, heiskenin is also a prospect that carries as much a risk as any top flight prospect. I expect honka to play more games in Dallas this season with pp time.

Dobber Sports Master

Lots of offensive talent, but needs a lot of polish to make a big difference at the NHL level. He's got Klingberg to unseat, and I don't see that happening. He's not in the same class. Lots of time to develop.

As mentioned, he is in a battle with Lindell and Lindell is winning out due to a more rounded game. Heiskanen could really push Honka, either up or down the chart.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Big Daddy

Too much depth on the Dallas blueline in front of him for my liking. Find a manager in your league that is a little high on him and deal him. I made this trade just last week: Zacha + Honka for Kadri.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Administrator

To clarify, I think he has a good future ahead of him as a secondary scoring dman. I just don't believe he will reach the sky-high potential that was once projected on him. He just hasn't produced like a star in the years leading to his promotion to the NHL. He should have made more impact by now.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust