Thread: Puljujarvi or 2018 draftees?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Puljujarvi or 2018 draftees?

I'm just wondering where would Puljujarvi go if teams could still select him in this year's draft.

Would he go before Zadina or much farther back?

Thank you

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Puljujarvi or 2018 draftees?

If he went behind Mathews and Laine last year, I think he would go behind only Dahlen here.

Dobber Sports Deity

The excitement on Puljujarvi was high in his draft year. He'd still be a top five pick without question if he was getting drafted this year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Novice

Not sure if I made myself clear, let's say someone's offering Puljujarvi right now for the 2018 3rd rank pick Zadina... what's the choice?

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheMatthews View Post
    Not sure if I made myself clear, let's say someone's offering Puljujarvi right now for the 2018 3rd rank pick Zadina... what's the choice?
    Keep the pick. I'm not completely sold on Puljujarvi. Personally, I like Dahlin, Zadina, Svechnikov and Wahlstrom all more than him - maybe even Hughes. The Puljujarvi hype train was completely off the rails - some "experts" were even saying there wasn't much of a dip between him and Laine.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'd keep the pick. I think JP will become a real good player but I think the top 3 this year will turn out better.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think Puljujarvi and Zadina are very close to being equal level prospects, so it comes down to personal preference. Edmonton has done a terrible job with Puljujarvi's development, though. But difficult to say without knowing where Zadina ends up going. Maybe he ends up going to Edmonton and they manage to ruin his development as well.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think JP will be closer to Wheeler than Yak/MPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Edmonton has done a terrible job with Puljujarvi's development, though.
    Yeah, why didn't he spend the last two seasons in the A or back home in Europe? Why crush his confidence?

Dobber Sports Deity

My point being, if we are excited about this years draft class, we were just as excited about Puljujarvi when he came in. We have no idea how any of them will turn out. Sure this years class all look fantastic in their respective leagues currently, but the NHL is a different animal and it's clear there's a learning curve and it can happen to any of the top picks in this years draft too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

I would only take Dahlen, Svechnikov or possibly Tolvanen over Puljaarvi I think. Tolvanen is close, but I'm not sure. Zadina I would put at the end this group, after JP and Tolv. I would consider Elias Petterson if I needed a Center more than a Winger. That's if Elias Petterson will be in your fantasy draft. I know he's not in Yahoo yet, so he will be in mine. Tolvanen is in Yahoo, so he won't be in my draft, but I think he will be in some peoples leagues. I know he and Petterson aren't 2018 prospects, but they are still eligible for some fantasy drafts. That's about it IMO. I think Whalstrom is a tier below most of these guys.

People talk about some players being hyped and not buying into them. It seems to me that nearly EVERY top prospect is hyped coming out of the NHL draft and going in to Fantasy/Dynasty drafts. I've heard some people say Tolvanen for instance is so hyped up they don't believe. But then when Svechnikov is mentioned, his talent is "all real" with no hype concerns. But I would say as good as Svechnikov is, and even Dahlen, they still are riding on "hype" to whatever extent. Any of them can bust surely.

But JP was and is on the highest level of prospect. And yea, I think it's too soon to put these newer guys all ahead of him. He's still on a team with McD.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)