Thread: Ilya Samsonov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Ilya Samsonov

What do you guys think about him?
    1A, 1B, starter, elite or next franchise goalie?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Ilya Samsonov

Long-term, I think he can be an elite goalie.

Dobber Sports Legend

If Samsonov adjusts well to North America and the NHL, he has the size and tools to be a franchise tender. Not sure about Elite, as in Price or Lundqvist level, but he could be Rask or Crawford. I think Vasiliveskiy is a shade better than Samsonov. Assuming Samsonov ends up the Caps starter in 2-3 years when they are still competitive, he could be in the 5-7 range and definitely a Top-5 goalie, fantasy wise.

Dobber Sports Titan

Ilya's contract is done on April 30th and there's a report he's not going to extend in the KHL and will join the Caps for next season. But Grubauer and Holtby are in the way.

Depending how Grubs does this playoffs, we could see him being moved for a mid-draft pick and have a Holtby+Sams duo next yr with a 65/35 split (53/29), and then a move towards the Bishop/Vas style tandem the next yr.

His future is going to be clearer come April 30th. If he signs in the KHL, he won't be NHL bound till prolly the 2020 season.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    If Samsonov adjusts well to North America and the NHL, he has the size and tools to be a franchise tender. Not sure about Elite, as in Price or Lundqvist level, but he could be Rask or Crawford. I think Vasiliveskiy is a shade better than Samsonov. Assuming Samsonov ends up the Caps starter in 2-3 years when they are still competitive, he could be in the 5-7 range and definitely a Top-5 goalie, fantasy wise.
    I've always considered "franchise player" to be above "elite player" in the rankings, that's why I said elite.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Ilya's contract is done on April 30th and there's a report he's not going to extend in the KHL and will join the Caps for next season. But Grubauer and Holtby are in the way.

Depending how Grubs does this playoffs, we could see him being moved for a mid-draft pick and have a Holtby+Sams duo next yr with a 65/35 split (53/29), and then a move towards the Bishop/Vas style tandem the next yr.

His future is going to be clearer come April 30th. If he signs in the KHL, he won't be NHL bound till prolly the 2020 season.
    His agent has already confirmed he's crossing the pond this summer, see here: https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...80#post1877080

Dobber Sports Jedi

Yup and expecting/willing to start in the AHL. As a GM, you gotta love the willingness to work, put in time if necessary.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think it's too soon to tell, due to him needing to adjust to the ice surface & play style. When he comes over, we'll get a big clue.

However, he has the upside of a perennial top-5 goalie. I think he's likely to be a decent starter for a stretch even if that doesn't go great.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I've always considered "franchise player" to be above "elite player" in the rankings, that's why I said elite.

His agent has already confirmed he's crossing the pond this summer, see here: https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...80#post1877080
    Until he's signed I won't believe it. Many times this is used for a bargaining chip to get a KHL contract, plus we all know how wild KHL news can be.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Until he's signed I won't believe it. Many times this is used for a bargaining chip to get a KHL contract, plus we all know how wild KHL news can be.
    Nothing wrong with that but if you wait until after he's signed his ELC, you'll probably miss out if he's still available in your league. Possibly the best goalie prospect in the world, so I'd rather waste a move than miss out.

Besides, his intentions to cross the pond this summer have been discussed throughout the season. I doubt he would have started talking about it during the season for a bigger KHL contract.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Nothing wrong with that but if you wait until after he's signed his ELC, you'll probably miss out if he's still available in your league. Possibly the best goalie prospect in the world, so I'd rather waste a move than miss out.

Besides, his intentions to cross the pond this summer have been discussed throughout the season. I doubt he would have started talking about it during the season for a bigger KHL contract.
    Yes better to be burned by having him on your roster and him in the KHL than not have him and be burned by him in the regular season when you play against him

Dobber Sports Wizard

If he signs this summer I will have a very interesting decision next draft. I agree that he can become elite but it's toughest to project goalies among all positions. I acquired the 3rd OA pick and I'm pretty sure Dahlin and Svechnikov will be taken 1 and 2. Then I will be very tempted to take Samsonov over someone like Zadina since my forwards are stacked, although I usually go for BPA.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Pro

Samsonov long-term should be at worst an average goalie and at best an elite goalie. So get him if you can

The way the Capitals work now is that they always put their goalie prospects in the AHL first, and I expect Samsonov to start there and battle Vanacek. The likely back up for Holtby next season is Copley

Also remember Samsonov hasn't really started in the KHL, he's only really been a 1B or back up there, so he needs games played to get used to the workload
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

This could be interesting if he commits to playing in the AHL and actually puts in the time and effort to make it to the NHL..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..