Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Adam Fox - why no love?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Adam Fox - why no love?

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I think he could use the extra year before turning pro, but with the number of Dmen in their system - it does make you wonder if Fox will play the 4yr UFA game so he can go to a team with room immediately ?
    Plus, he's an east coast kid so it might be very enticing to stay an extra year, get his degree from Harvard, and then choose whatever team he desires. If I'm Calgary I might look to move him in a trade this summer.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Initiate

The obvious move for CGY imo is to trade a couple D - to make room for players like Fox, and to bolster the forward group (and/or recoup picks). Two birds. TJ Brodie, M. Stone. T. Hamonic im looking at all of you...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by bluck View Post
    The obvious move for CGY imo is to trade a couple D - to make room for players like Fox, and to bolster the forward group (and/or recoup picks). Two birds. TJ Brodie, M. Stone. T. Hamonic im looking at all of you...
    This is true...they also have Rasmus Andersson, who I think can play a full-time role in the NHL right now. He doesn't have the offensive upside of someone like Fox, but he can handle the puck, play solid defense, and he has a bulldozer's frame.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Plus, he's an east coast kid so it might be very enticing to stay an extra year, get his degree from Harvard, and then choose whatever team he desires. If I'm Calgary I might look to move him in a trade this summer.
    I read somewhere that kids going to Harvard are more likely to stay for full four years compared to other schools. Haven't see any stats about it but it makes sense. Everyone wants a degree from Harvard.

Dobber Sports Padawan

All I know is I want Calgary to do absolutely everything in their power to make sure this kid signs with them. Move Brodie. Move Stone. Hell, move Gio at some point. Make room for Valimaki, Andersson and Fox! Kylington is also another one I want to see sooner rather than later.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Jeff Cox@JeffCoxSports

Per multiple sources, Harvard junior D Adam Fox will return for senior season, opting not to sign with Carolina Hurricanes. Favors becoming free agent next summer. Great news for Crimson and college hockey as a whole.

Administrator

So if you're a prospect in the NCAA and you don't turn pro early then you stick it out until the end and hit free agency. Can't blame the players that go this route but it defeats the purpose of the draft.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well, please correct anything I have wrong here, players drafted out of most leagues Europe need to be signed within 4 years as well and players drafted out of the CHL have a 2 year window and then they go back into the draft and get another 2 year window to be signed. Most players more or less all have the same 4 years they can wait out to hit free agency but the NCAA has the tightest restrictions and control over its' "amateur" athletes preventing them from coming to any sort of official agreement with their draft club. Fans can blame the players all they want for doing what's in their best interest but their anger rightfully should be directed at the NCAA (revenue of $1.1 billion for the 2017 fiscal year, players got jack shit.)

Also, the NCAA loophole isn't new, no GM is forced to draft a player heading to college, and Fox was a throw-in in a trade likely because of the odds he wouldn't sign which the Canes would have been well aware of.

Dobber Sports Pro

Makes the Calgary -Carolina deal look even sweeter for the Flames.

I wonder if he’ll become another Vesey?

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well, please correct anything I have wrong here, players drafted out of most leagues Europe need to be signed within 4 years as well and players drafted out of the CHL have a 2 year window and then they go back into the draft and get another 2 year window to be signed. Most players more or less all have the same 4 years they can wait out to hit free agency but the NCAA has the tightest restrictions and control over its' "amateur" athletes preventing them from coming to any sort of official agreement with their draft club. Fans can blame the players all they want for doing what's in their best interest but their anger rightfully should be directed at the NCAA (revenue of $1.1 billion for the 2017 fiscal year, players got jack shit.)

Also, the NCAA loophole isn't new, no GM is forced to draft a player heading to college, and Fox was a throw-in in a trade likely because of the odds he wouldn't sign which the Canes would have been well aware of.
    You’re absolutely right but due to this, NCAA draftees should have the same window as euro players. Sure you don’t have to draft them but that doesn’t help the NHL long term to view things that way. Best make a rule to circumvent the NCAA protecting its cash interests, so you can protect your own.

Dobber Sports Icon

My understanding is that all players drafted in their first year of eligibility will become UFAs if they do not sign a contract within 4 years. I believe the only exception to this is some Russians playing in the KHL since they don't have a transfer agreement in place with the NHL. This is not a special rule for NCAA players.

Put yourself in Adam Fox's (of Jim Vesey's a few years ago) shoes. You are 3/4 the way away from getting a degree from Harvard. You now have a choice to sign an NHL contract right now with the team that owns your rights OR you can play one more year with the team you've been with for the past 3 years, finish your Harvard degree and choose to sign a contract for any of 32 NHL teams.

Which would you choose?

Dobber Sports Master

someone asked for him when I kicked tires on aquiring Radulov so he's loveable in that league .

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    My understanding is that all players drafted in their first year of eligibility will become UFAs if they do not sign a contract within 4 years. I believe the only exception to this is some Russians playing in the KHL since they don't have a transfer agreement in place with the NHL. This is not a special rule for NCAA players.

Put yourself in Adam Fox's (of Jim Vesey's a few years ago) shoes. You are 3/4 the way away from getting a degree from Harvard. You now have a choice to sign an NHL contract right now with the team that owns your rights OR you can play one more year with the team you've been with for the past 3 years, finish your Harvard degree and choose to sign a contract for any of 32 NHL teams.

Which would you choose?
    I would choose the education but pro athletes have the reality of needing to sign big money as soon as they can and for as long as they can, lest the suffer a catastrophic or career ending injury before any chance to get paid. This is much more true of other sports than pro hockey in terms of culture though. I see it, but unlike the NBA or NFL, when players are drafted much older and out of school rather than before or in the middle of it, the NHL presents a conundrum with this problem. Lots of resources go into scouting and so losing a player you drafted like this is very costly. I don’t think it should happen. I think the drafting team should retain the rights.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Seems like its becoming much more common lately for NCAA guys to go to FA. If I'm an NHL GM, I might think twice before taking a guy out of college.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Seems like its becoming much more common lately for NCAA guys to go to FA. If I'm an NHL GM, I might think twice before taking a guy out of college.
    Easier said than done considering a lot of these high end kids are getting drafted before they even commit to the College route, or have just commited. A lot of them are getting drafted out of Jr leagues before they even make it to the College scene.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."