Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: League Expansion Ideas

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default League Expansion Ideas

For the league in my sig. we are going to be expanding to 24 teams this offseason. We have an idea of how we want to complete the protection/expansion process, but I thought I would toss it on here to see if anyone has any ideas I could bounce around the league.

1) Protection List - we are thinking of going with 7 F, 3 D, 1 G. Expose 5 minors players.

2) Expansion Draft - teams draft 1 main roster player from each team, snake draft style. Teams draft 11 minors players, reverse order from main roster. *Each team can only lose one main roster and one minors player*

This will give the new teams 33 players to start their franchise, plus 6 picks from the entry draft.

Toss out any ideas/criticism you may have! Will rep where I can.
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M

G (1) A (1) +/- (.25) PIM (.05) SOG (.05) PPP (.5) HIT (.05) BLK (.05) FOW (.01)
    W (1.75) GA (-1) SV (.1) SO (3)

C: Seguin, Kuznetsov, Trocheck, Johansen, Kostin
    LW: Benn, Lindblom, Dickinson, Kubalik
    RW: Tuch, Fabbri, Bjorkstrand, Terry
    D: Klingberg, Chabot, Girard, Spurgeon, C Miller, Theodore, Marino
    G: Hellebuyck, Berdin

C: Elvenes, Vorobyev, Spacek, Jones, Eyssimont, Daviddson, Shvyrev
    LW: Dorofyev, Koivula, Shalagin, Dugan, Cates, Ranta
    RW: Volkov, Fortier, Evans, Blichfeld, Legare, Tieksola
    D: Laaksonen, Gilbert, Pilut
    G: Samsonov, Sorokin, Knight, Zagidulin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: League Expansion Ideas

That expansion team will be terrible. But if you can find good GMs willing to wait a few years before they have any chance of going anywhere, then I guess that's fine. I would never join a league with those kind of expansion rules.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

One question... are all the current managers on board with the expansion. Something big like this I always think should have a full year to prepare.

Other than that I like the set up and think you have it pretty fair.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    One question... are all the current managers on board with the expansion. Something big like this I always think should have a full year to prepare.

Other than that I like the set up and think you have it pretty fair.
    Yes we voted on it last offseason.

I do agree with JP a little on the fact that these teams will be in for a year or two of struggles however. I know from my team they will get a solid piece and there are a few other teams as well, but the bottom feeders won't offer much besides maybe some decent prospects.

They will have the 3rd and 4th best odds in the draft lottery as well.
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M

G (1) A (1) +/- (.25) PIM (.05) SOG (.05) PPP (.5) HIT (.05) BLK (.05) FOW (.01)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think the protection list has to be much smaller. Since there are 22 teams, they should only be allowed to protect 2F, 2D and 1G.

Allow the 2 expansion teams to select in a snake like draft picking from each team, then selecting from the FA pool.
    Non keeper players on the current teams should be placed back into the FA pool after their non protected players have been removed. That way the FA pool has more to choose from.

The expansion teams should also have high draft picks in the first round to make it appealing.

You want a competitive league and the managers (if willing to have expansion teams) should be willing to allow good players to be taken from their teams in order for that to happen.
    FANTRAX SALARY CAP LEAGUE
    $75m Cap League / 12 Teams / 18 Keepers
    20min - 25max man roster / 5 Minor bench
    G, A, STP, FOW, Takeaways, Hits, BLKS, PIM, SOG,
    W, SV%, Saves

C: Backstrom, MacKinnon, Backlund, Jost, Barzal, Zetterberg, Trocheck

W; Ehlers, Bjorkstrand, Hayden, Haley, Pacioretty, Boeser, Kreider, Riley Nash

D: Gudas, OEL, Ristolainen, Chychrun, Nurse, McAvoy Sergachev

G: Dubnyk, Stalock, Smith,
    Minor bench: Demko, Samsonov, White, Steel, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by TheBends View Post
    I think the protection list has to be much smaller. Since there are 22 teams, they should only be allowed to protect 2F, 2D and 1G.

Allow the 2 expansion teams to select in a snake like draft picking from each team, then selecting from the FA pool.
    Non keeper players on the current teams should be placed back into the FA pool after their non protected players have been removed. That way the FA pool has more to choose from.

The expansion teams should also have high draft picks in the first round to make it appealing.

You want a competitive league and the managers (if willing to have expansion teams) should be willing to allow good players to be taken from their teams in order for that to happen.
    I like the idea of having smaller protected lists. This is a dynasty league though so teams will not be dropping players into FA.

I think if we protect less players and then only protect a handful of prospects, will give these new teams a good starting base along with top picks in the entry draft.
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by SensArmy93 View Post
    This is a dynasty league though so teams will not be dropping players into FA..

Ah, so how does it work for the new prospects that are drafted every year like the Dahlin's and McDavid's etc? Who gets to pick these top players?
    FANTRAX SALARY CAP LEAGUE
    $75m Cap League / 12 Teams / 18 Keepers
    20min - 25max man roster / 5 Minor bench
    G, A, STP, FOW, Takeaways, Hits, BLKS, PIM, SOG,
    W, SV%, Saves

C: Backstrom, MacKinnon, Backlund, Jost, Barzal, Zetterberg, Trocheck

W; Ehlers, Bjorkstrand, Hayden, Haley, Pacioretty, Boeser, Kreider, Riley Nash

D: Gudas, OEL, Ristolainen, Chychrun, Nurse, McAvoy Sergachev

G: Dubnyk, Stalock, Smith,
    Minor bench: Demko, Samsonov, White, Steel, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by TheBends View Post
    Ah, so how does it work for the new players who are drafted every year like Dahlin etc? Who gets to pick these top players?
    We do a 6-round entry draft every year to go along with the NHL entry draft. Right now the idea is to give the expansion teams the 3rd and 4th best odds in the draft lottery.
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M

Dobber Sports Wizard

I like the idea of having smaller protected lists. This is a dynasty league though so teams will not be dropping players into FA.

I think if we protect less players and then only protect a handful of prospects, will give these new teams a good starting base along with top picks in the entry draft.
    The protected lists need to be way smaller. Something like 3F, 2D, 1G. And that includes prospects as well - no extra protection spots for them. All teams would still lose just one player from pro roster, so if you lose your 4th best forward or 3rd best defenseman, so be it. Put yourself in the shoes of the expansion teams - is your 8th best forward really going to be a difference-maker? Think about having your entire team full of players like that.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Mock it up with the number of protections until the expansion teams are an average looking team. It might tick off some of the bottom feeders, but they get to protect however many players before the expansion teams start picking, so that's on them! (don't tell them that if they complain or you'll be figuring out how to run a dispersal draft concurrently! lol).

So to sum up, mock, mock, mock until it looks right.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Mock it up with the number of protections until the expansion teams are an average looking team. It might tick off some of the bottom feeders, but they get to protect however many players before the expansion teams start picking, so that's on them! (don't tell them that if they complain or you'll be figuring out how to run a dispersal draft concurrently! lol).

So to sum up, mock, mock, mock until it looks right.
    Never thought about that, I'll definitely work on some mocks. Thanks!
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M

Dobber Sports Demi-God

For the league in my sig. we are going to be expanding to 24 teams this offseason. We have an idea of how we want to complete the protection/expansion process, but I thought I would toss it on here to see if anyone has any ideas I could bounce around the league.

1) Protection List - we are thinking of going with 7 F, 3 D, 1 G. Expose 5 minors players.

2) Expansion Draft - teams draft 1 main roster player from each team, snake draft style. Teams draft 11 minors players, reverse order from main roster. *Each team can only lose one main roster and one minors player*

This will give the new teams 33 players to start their franchise, plus 6 picks from the entry draft.

Toss out any ideas/criticism you may have! Will rep where I can.

You absolutely can not entertain changing the number of keepers from what was agreed upon at this time last year.
    Some teams will have set their teams up with exact power in their 7/3/1 - if that is what you had determined last year.
    If you switch to anything else, you are being unfair to teams that underwent their year with the 7/3/1 end goal... and maybe a team that is top end heavy (2F/2D) becomes stronger than the 7/3/1 team.

Nope...
    In keeper leagues, you need to have a full year of "no rule change" prior to expansion.
    Anything else is unfair - even if you can come to a "majority decision"... it will still be unfair to some team.

Whatever was the intended keeper amount when you discussed expansion last year... must stay in place. Period.
    (If this creates a very weak expansion team, so be it. Perhaps you pre-allocate them TWO first round picks in each of the next 3 years, something like that... but don't steal assets from teams that played by the rules.)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    You absolutely can not entertain changing the number of keepers from what was agreed upon at this time last year.
    Some teams will have set their teams up with exact power in their 7/3/1 - if that is what you had determined last year.
    If you switch to anything else, you are being unfair to teams that underwent their year with the 7/3/1 end goal... and maybe a team that is top end heavy (2F/2D) becomes stronger than the 7/3/1 team.

Nope...
    In keeper leagues, you need to have a full year of "no rule change" prior to expansion.
    Anything else is unfair - even if you can come to a "majority decision"... it will still be unfair to some team.

Whatever was the intended keeper amount when you discussed expansion last year... must stay in place. Period.
    (If this creates a very weak expansion team, so be it. Perhaps you pre-allocate them TWO first round picks in each of the next 3 years, something like that... but don't steal assets from teams that played by the rules.)
    Thanks for pointing that out Pengwin. Never had that cross my mind either. I know I made adjustments to have a solid 7 F - 3 D - 1 G setup.
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M

Dobber Sports Veteran

As much as I agree with JP that your protected lists are way too big I agree with Pengwin more that teams will should get at least a season's notice of preparation for expansion so I don't think it would be wise to drastically change who teams can protect.

That being said I think you should throw the new teams a bone and guarantee them 1st and 2nd picks in the entry draft and still give them 3rd and 4th best odds in the draft lottery for the remaining picks. Also, guarantee them favourable odds for next year's entry draft.

I'd also try to get every team to sign-off on easing up on the prospect protection. Maybe only 1 prospect goalie per team can be protected? Expose 10 prospects rather than just 5?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    As much as I agree with JP that your protected lists are way too big I agree with Pengwin more that teams will should get at least a season's notice of preparation for expansion so I don't think it would be wise to drastically change who teams can protect.

That being said I think you should throw the new teams a bone and guarantee them 1st and 2nd picks in the entry draft and still give them 3rd and 4th best odds in the draft lottery for the remaining picks. Also, guarantee them favourable odds for next year's entry draft.

I'd also try to get every team to sign-off on easing up on the prospect protection. Maybe only 1 prospect goalie per team can be protected? Expose 10 prospects rather than just 5?
    Yes I think I am going to push to have less prospects protected, maybe 5 per team to allow the expansion teams to grab some nice depth in that regard. That should help them fill out their main roster as well as there should be many teams with prospects who are actually playing in the NHL.
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M