Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: End of 2nd year of complete rebuild, ready to make a push next year?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default End of 2nd year of complete rebuild, ready to make a push next year?

So past 2 seasons i have completely overhauled the team i took over. First season i finished dead last and this year i finished 13. and had a really strong later half of the season.

I still have players who need to break out for my lineup to look better. These players include: Fabbri, Ek, Pulju, Lehkonen, Dunn, Meier, Labanc and i also have shitload of prospect coming up soon. Mittelstadt had promising start to his NHL-career for example.

So my question is, do you guys think i should already make a push for it next year? i think i can get playoff spot if i just trade for a starter goalie like rinne / fleury since i have the handcuffs too. Or should i wait one more year patiently and see if some of my on-lineup prospects break out or not? I also have 3rd best and 8th best lottery ticket for the upcoming draft.

btw this is what i started with :1rebuild.png
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League |20 Teams, 23 Roster spots 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN
    Categories: G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO
    C - Crosby | Trocheck | Backstrom | Danault | Aho
    LW - Marchessault | Hertl
    | Fiala | Jost
    RW - Rantanen | Palmieri
    | Meier | Pavelski | Puljujarvi
    D - Ristolainen | Zadorov | C. Murphy
    | | Trouba | Edmundson | Giordano
    G -
    Fleury | Saros | Markström
    IR: Zucker
    Farm
    C - Borgstrom |
    Heponiemi | Hawryluk
    LW -
    RW - Tolvanen
    D - Juolevi
    G - Sorokin, Vehviläinen

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: End of 2nd year of complete rebuild, ready to make a push next year?

I say start working your way into the playoffs. Donmt completely go full buyer, but make a few solid moves that take you that little step forward. It's too easy to keep saying "one more season" and just be in perpetual rebuild. The point of these games is to win as many seasons as possible. To do that you have to make the playoffs. From there it's a crapshoot anyways.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: End of 2nd year of complete rebuild, ready to make a push next year?

Be a smart buyer in goal, you’re in the exact same situation I was in last year in the 16 team league in my signature. I bought Rinne and Flower turned into a playoff squad. I love competing and winning so I couldn’t take being a lottery squad for a third year.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Big Daddy

Good job on the rebuild. That roster you took over was hideous, I like what you've done with it so far. Keep up the good work and don't rush it now. A little more patience and smart moves and you'll be a contender soon enough. Key word here is patience. You showed it for 2 years already, what's 1 more?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Good job on the rebuild. That roster you took over was hideous, I like what you've done with it so far. Keep up the good work and don't rush it now. A little more patience and smart moves and you'll be a contender soon enough. Key word here is patience. You showed it for 2 years already, what's 1 more?
    Thanks man!

Yeah my original plans was to be in rebuild for 3-4 years since the roster was really hideous. Many of my players broke out big this year but I guess i could save a ton in total value of my team if i just wait for saros / subban / demko / sorokin to get the job. Could be realistical saros and demko makes it after one more year of waiting
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League |20 Teams, 23 Roster spots 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN
    | Fiala | Jost
    RW - Rantanen | Palmieri
    G -
    Farm
    C - Borgstrom |
    Heponiemi | Hawryluk
    LW -
    RW - Tolvanen
    D - Juolevi
    G - Sorokin, Vehviläinen

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Keppada View Post
    Thanks man!

Yeah my original plans was to be in rebuild for 3-4 years since the roster was really hideous. Many of my players broke out big this year but I guess i could save a ton in total value of my team if i just wait for saros / subban / demko / sorokin to get the job. Could be realistical saros and demko makes it after one more year of waiting
    That's the trouble with goaltending prospects though, takes a heck of a lot longer for them to be ready, and then longer still to find their groove (like Helle). You look solid to compete sooner than later, so I think you have it right to make a smart move for a starter. That way, you can buy more time for one of those prospect goalies to move into a full-time role.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

The Great One

You say you finished 13th in a 20 team league. But you don't say how many teams make the playoffs.

I'm not sure it makes any sense to mortgage the farm for an older goalie in the hopes you can limp into the playoffs. Especially if you can't compete with the big boys yet.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    You say you finished 13th in a 20 team league. But you don't say how many teams make the playoffs.

I'm not sure it makes any sense to mortgage the farm for an older goalie in the hopes you can limp into the playoffs. Especially if you can't compete with the big boys yet.
    8 teams make the playoffs. There are a couple teams that are far more stacked than mine but on a bad week they could fall like everyone during playoffs!
    | Fiala | Jost
    RW - Rantanen | Palmieri
    G -
    Farm
    C - Borgstrom |
    Heponiemi | Hawryluk
    LW -
    RW - Tolvanen
    D - Juolevi
    G - Sorokin, Vehviläinen

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I ended up doing some moves since i started this thread. I got fleury and koivu, traded my 6oa & 7oa picks for borgstrom , top lottery ticket next years draft and tolvanen, drafted heponiemi with 29 oa and Katchouk 48 OA. My lineup starts to look like if i just chill one more year i should be in a good spot to go for it after that.

I do have too many centers / center prospects and i intent to trade for a RW or Dman upgrade. Anyone see a move i should make?
    | Fiala | Jost
    RW - Rantanen | Palmieri
    G -
    Farm
    C - Borgstrom |
    Heponiemi | Hawryluk
    LW -
    RW - Tolvanen
    D - Juolevi
    G - Sorokin, Vehviläinen

Dobber Sports Pro

Good job on the rebuild! That team looks horrible and now you’re close to contending. Keep the good work
    League 1
    10 team, Dynasty, points only, 30 players, keep20 starts 12 F, 6 D, 2G , unlimited prospects(can keep them max 5 years)
    F: Mackinnon,Marner, Panarin, Eichel, Fiala, Hughes, Svechnikov, Robertson, Bratt, Kuznetsov, Hischier, B.Tkachuk, M.Tkachuk, Scheifele, Wheeler, Jenner, Drouin, Tatar, Colton
    D:Hughes, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dunn, Burns, Theodore, Slavin, Trouba G: Shesterkin, Binnington, Vanecek
    League2
    Cap league (82.5M with AAV), points only, 12 teams, keep 7, (9F, 4D, 2G)
    F: Hughes, Zuccarello,RNH, Marchessault, Scheifele, Toffoli, O’Reilly, Trocheck, Buchnevich extra: Marchenko
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Seider, Andersson
    G: Hellebuyck, Talbot

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I like your D in a 20 team league. I would focus on your RW. I don't know on which platform you are but if you are on yahoo Meier isn't RW eligible anymore...
    12 teams H2H Keeper
    Keep 7 (1 each position, +2 any position but goalie)
    G A P PPP SOG FW HITS BLK PIM W GAA SV% SHO
    Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 4D 2U 2G 5B
    C: Mackinnon Matthews Thomas Bennett Pinto
    LW: Kaprizov Buchnevich (C) Fiala Drouin (C)
    RW: JT Miller (C) Barzal (C) Jarvis (C) Geekie (C)
    D: Fox Hamilton (IR) Nurse Faber Harley Manson Chabot
    G: Hellebuyck Rittich Ingram Lyon Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by zaz2712 View Post
    I like your D in a 20 team league. I would focus on your RW. I don't know on which platform you are but if you are on yahoo Meier isn't RW eligible anymore...
    RW is what I would focus on as well. Since you're a year or two away, maybe move Backstrom for a RW before the regression hits and his value drops? (Or your newly acquired Koivu)
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    RW is what I would focus on as well. Since you're a year or two away, maybe move Backstrom for a RW before the regression hits and his value drops? (Or your newly acquired Koivu)
    I acquired koivu and backstrom both because they are great for FOW. Point, ek and mittelstadt are not very likely to contribute much to that stat. But maybe i could think about moving backstrom, i doubt i get very good rw for koivu
    | Fiala | Jost
    RW - Rantanen | Palmieri
    G -
    Farm
    C - Borgstrom |
    Heponiemi | Hawryluk
    LW -
    RW - Tolvanen
    D - Juolevi
    G - Sorokin, Vehviläinen

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Your team isn't terrible. With proper trades and FA pickups any team can make a push for the playoffs. The whole idea of rebuilding makes 0 sense to me. I won 2 years ago and finished 2nd last year..Between those years my team changes drastically though out the season. This year we drafted June to allow for a busy off season. We keep 18...and out of those I only have 6 of those players remaining. Its been 3 months and my team is completely different and the season hasn't even started yet haha
    10 Teams
    Keeper max 18 of 23 + 5 minors
    NHL Cap Hit
    G, A, SOG, HITS, BLKS, STP, FOW, Takeaways
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C
    Eichel, Beniers, Trocheck, Fantilli, Staal, Glendening, Mittlestadt, Bjugstad

W
    B. Tkachuk, Pastrnak,
    Perfetti, Giroux, Byfield, Reinhart, Svechnikov, Quinn

D
    Lauzon, Schenn, Englund, Hakanpaa, Korchinski

G
    Sorokin, Ersson

Minors
    Wallstedt, Wolf, Jiricek

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
    Your team isn't terrible. With proper trades and FA pickups any team can make a push for the playoffs. The whole idea of rebuilding makes 0 sense to me. I won 2 years ago and finished 2nd last year..Between those years my team changes drastically though out the season. This year we drafted June to allow for a busy off season. We keep 18...and out of those I only have 6 of those players remaining. Its been 3 months and my team is completely different and the season hasn't even started yet haha
    Your league is totally different from my. With 12 yeams and you only keep 18 there are always more players available on waivers. Our waivers are barren and goalies are next to impossible to find...
    | Fiala | Jost
    RW - Rantanen | Palmieri
    G -
    Farm