Poll: Caps or CBJ

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Capitals vs Columbus Blue Jackets

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Washington Capitals vs Columbus Blue Jackets

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    They're not snake bitten. It's the same shit every year with the Caps. They just don't have what it takes to win in the playoffs. They fold in the biggest moments.

Hate to say it but they're just not winners. Some teams find that extra gear that it takes to win in the playoffs and others just don't have it. The Penguins and Hawks had it. Caps have never had it, ditto the Sharks.

58 shots in a game is folding? I even seen Ovy back-checking last night and intercepting a pass on the back check... I don't think the team is 'folding'.

As was mentioned... with the current playoff format they wouldn't have faced Pittsburgh (2 Time Champs) in the 2nd round the last two years and its not like Pittsburgh swept them. I would say Washington gave them their toughest series in each of the last two Cup runs.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    A lot of people do. They say the team doesn't want it or plays with a lack of effort. The truth is its tough to win in today's NHL. If Boston continues to pummel their way to the top and win another cup then over the last 10 years were talking 4 teams winning it! The Caps would of at least made the conference finals twice in the last two years if it weren't for how stupid the playoffs are set up these days and having to meet Pittsburgh twice in the 2nd round, in which they lost the first meeting in 6 games in OT and then 2nd in 7 games to the eventual cup winners and perhaps one of the best teams in NHL history.

I do agree that after this year the Caps chances will greatly diminish so this is in fact huge for them to find a way to win.
    I agree with you 100 % as far as the playoff format goes but they still would not have beaten Pittsburgh at any point of the playoffs so still no Stanley Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I agree with you 100 % as far as the playoff format goes but they still would not have beaten Pittsburgh at any point of the playoffs so still no Stanley Cup.
    But the pressure that Washington has never gotten deep into the playoffs with OV would have been lifted because they finally made it passed the 2nd round and they wouldn't have the same amount of pressure if they played Pittsburgh in the 3rd round vs 2nd round... lots of things change... Ottawa almost beat Pitts in the 3rd round last year..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    But the pressure that Washington has never gotten deep into the playoffs with OV would have been lifted because they finally made it passed the 2nd round and they wouldn't have the same amount of pressure if they played Pittsburgh in the 3rd round vs 2nd round... lots of things change... Ottawa almost beat Pitts in the 3rd round last year..
    Thats weak. lol

Now watch them come back and win this series and the Stanley cup.

Dobber Sports Ninja

58 shots in a game is folding? I even seen Ovy back-checking last night and intercepting a pass on the back check... I don't think the team is 'folding'.

As was mentioned... with the current playoff format they wouldn't have faced Pittsburgh (2 Time Champs) in the 2nd round the last two years and its not like Pittsburgh swept them. I would say Washington gave them their toughest series in each of the last two Cup runs.
    I'm not talking about shot count or back-checking. I'm talking about them folding in the biggest moments when it matters. You can talk about puck luck, being snake bitten, however you wanna justify it, but at the end of the day, CBJ has gotten it done in both OTs with the game on the line.

The bottom line is this... you are what your track record says you are, and all I'm hearing from you is excuses.

Game 3 Prediction

Capitals come out strong... win 4-1 on the strength of 2 Powerplay Goals.

​​

Administrator

5-3 Capitals

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

Does it really matter if the Caps lost in the 2nd round or the conference finals the past two years? Either way, neither is a Cup final, and neither is a Stanley Cup Championship. Pretty sure that's the only end result that matters, regardless of round. Least it should be for the Caps.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Does it really matter if the Caps lost in the 2nd round or the conference finals the past two years? Either way, neither is a Cup final, and neither is a Stanley Cup Championship. Pretty sure that's the only end result that matters, regardless of round. Least it should be for the Caps.
    That is the measuring stick that the media wants us to use and we choose to use. And if that is so... there are only 4 teams that have had successful seasons in the past decade.

Dobber Sports Jedi

That is the measuring stick that the media wants us to use and we choose to use. And if that is so... there are only 4 teams that have had successful seasons in the past decade.
    well, this depends... Ottawa had a successful season last year - blew even their pre-season expectations away. Nashville would say it was a success getting to the finals for the 1st time ever - after being a wild card team. This year Nashville - success is measured by winning it all. Washington has been at the top of the regular season heap for several years. With that reg. season success comes championship expectations.

That's the difference to me. Every team of course wants to win, but there are internal measurements to determine season/postseason success based on the current configuration of the roster. Screw the media... they just like to spew hyperboil to create fakenews and have something to dwell on.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

Cmon Caps. Just tie it up at 2.

Dobber Sports Ninja

The measuring stick is different for everyone. At the end of the day it's about expectations vs results. The Caps were expected to be cup contenders the last 3-4 years and they clearly failed relative to expectations.

Nobody expected the Leafs to challenge the Caps last year and they made a series out of it so that was a success. This year, the expectations are higher and if the Leafs lose in the first round, it will be a failure regardless of how tight the series is.

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    well, this depends... Ottawa had a successful season last year - blew even their pre-season expectations away. Nashville would say it was a success getting to the finals for the 1st time ever - after being a wild card team. This year Nashville - success is measured by winning it all. Washington has been at the top of the regular season heap for several years. With that reg. season success comes championship expectations.

That's the difference to me. Every team of course wants to win, but there are internal measurements to determine season/postseason success based on the current configuration of the roster. Screw the media... they just like to spew hyperboil to create fakenews and have something to dwell on.

So it is each individuals fault that their expectation was that Washington should win the cup? Or that Washington was ever better than Pittsburgh? Its all based on expectation... and media and our individual bias increases the expectation of Washington. Even though the expectations should maybe not have existed. They have been able to stay healthy during regular season where other teams have not... so is it possible that winning the presidents trophy is a success but then when we take into consideration other factors like man-games lost... our expectations should never have been for Washington to win.

http://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.ca/2016...reakdowns.html Washington had minimal man-games lost in comparison to Pittsburgh in the last two years that Pitsburgh won the cup.

So just becuase they finished in first in the regular season (because they were healthy all year) - does that mean that their expecations should be increases and Pittsburgh's should be lowered?

I am not saying the expecation is either right or wrong... I am just saying that should we really be disappointd or surprised that Washington has not had playoff success. And should we consider it as failure, or folding, or playoff pressure... or are there other variables that factor into it. (ie man-games lost... Washington is healthy all year and beat teams that are not healthy, then come playoff time... they are healthy but so are other teams... and the playing field is levelled)

​​

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    The measuring stick is different for everyone. At the end of the day it's about expectations vs results. The Caps were expected to be cup contenders the last 3-4 years and they clearly failed relative to expectations.

Nobody expected the Leafs to challenge the Caps last year and they made a series out of it so that was a success. This year, the expectations are higher and if the Leafs lose in the first round, it will be a failure regardless of how tight the series is.
    I agree it is largely about expectation vs results... what what sets those expectations? Media? Bias? And should there be other things included in our analysis of results.

Lets take you Leafs losing in the first round example:

Two things to ponder:

1) Are the Leafs really that much stronger of a team than they were last year at this time? What has changed? Would you not say their Defense was maybe better at this point last year? So are our expectations truly reflective of all things considered. Or do we let media and other things effect our expectations too much?

2) What If the Leafs played 7 great games against the Bruins... And each game they lost was in double overtime and then Boston goes on to win the next 12 games straight all by 3 goals or more. Toronto gave them their best series and pushed them to 7 close games.... would this still be considered a failure against expectations?

The point I am trying to express is that there should be more to our expectations than just a hard cut line of how far a team has to make it in in order for the season to be considered a success/vs failure. Yes, I feel let down by Washington too sometimes... but I am trying to re-think the way I set my expectations and base it more on actually viewing the series and seeing how the teams play than just saying Washington lost in the 2nd round to Pittsburgh again.... FAIL. I feel Washington played great hockey against Pittsburgh last year in the playoffs and then lost to the eventual Cup Winners.

​​

Big Daddy

Holtby gets the nod tonight!