Thread: Rookie Keeper Selection

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Rookie Keeper Selection

Hello! In our league we keep 5 rookies (players with less than 160 games in the NHL for forwards and 60 games for goalies). I have Barzal, Dubois and Montour as my top 3 picks and have to pick 2 more from: Saros, Jarry, Heinen, Fabbri and Borgstrom. Who would you keep?
    Weekly matchup, 10-teams, 25 man roster, play 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G per night
    Multi-cat league: G (4), A (2.5), SOG (0.2), HIT (0.2), BLKS (0.2), PPP, GWG, PIMS (0.2), +/- (+/-0.5) - skaters
    W (3), S/O (5), each save (0.2), each GA (-1)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Rookie Keeper Selection

Either Saron or Jarry and definitely Borgstrom.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Deity

Saros is sitting at 48 games. I assume that in 12 games (next season) you will need to recall him? Yes? What about someone like Montour who's currently at 107 GP? Recall next year once he passes 160?

What does the rest of your roster look like? How many do you start at each position? Is your main roster a full keeper?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I'd say Borgstrom is one of your for sures. I'd put him ahead of Montour, to be honest.

If your goalie values are insane, then I'd be looking at Saros or Jarry....and as noted above, your particular set up and when rookies must be recalled or drop would play a large part in deciding how to play this out....

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Saros is sitting at 48 games. I assume that in 12 games (next season) you will need to recall him? Yes? What about someone like Montour who's currently at 107 GP? Recall next year once he passes 160?

What does the rest of your roster look like? How many do you start at each position? Is your main roster a full keeper?
    We have kind of a complicated quasi-farm system but basically rookies (under 160/60 games) can be recalled and sent down as many times while they are still eligible rookies, but when they hit 160/60 games we have to recall them permenantly or drop them. Montour would be recalled and stay up when he hits 160 and Saros might stay up permanently when he hits 60.

We also keep 5 veteran players (so keep 5 rookies and 5 veterans). My veteran keepers are Crosby, Marchand and Josi and then I need to pick 2 from Andersen, Bobrovsky and Ghost.

We play 3 LW, 3 C, 3 RW & 2 D & 4 D nightly.
    Weekly matchup, 10-teams, 25 man roster, play 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G per night
    Multi-cat league: G (4), A (2.5), SOG (0.2), HIT (0.2), BLKS (0.2), PPP, GWG, PIMS (0.2), +/- (+/-0.5) - skaters
    W (3), S/O (5), each save (0.2), each GA (-1)

Dobber Sports Legend

Hitch,

Rooks: Borgstrom and Saros

Vets: Bob and Ghost

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiker View Post
    We have kind of a complicated quasi-farm system but basically rookies (under 160/60 games) can be recalled and sent down as many times while they are still eligible rookies, but when they hit 160/60 games we have to recall them permenantly or drop them. Montour would be recalled and stay up when he hits 160 and Saros might stay up permanently when he hits 60.

We also keep 5 veteran players (so keep 5 rookies and 5 veterans). My veteran keepers are Crosby, Marchand and Josi and then I need to pick 2 from Andersen, Bobrovsky and Ghost.

We play 3 LW, 3 C, 3 RW & 2 D & 4 D nightly.
    Kinda what I figured.

Tough keeper selections. I'd keep Andersen, Bobrovsky AND Gosthisbehere and let Josi go for redraft from your main roster.

As far as the prospects go, I'd keep Jarry and Borgstrom. Saros won't be a main keeper for you anytime soon so no sense keeping him when he's only good for 12 more games in your minors.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Legend

Kinda what I figured.

Tough keeper selections. I'd keep Andersen, Bobrovsky AND Gosthisbehere and let Josi go for redraft from your main roster.

As far as the prospects go, I'd keep Jarry and Borgstrom. Saros won't be a main keeper for you anytime soon so no sense keeping him when he's only good for 12 more games in your minors.
    Axe,

You think Jarry is taking the keys from Murray?

Dobber Sports Deity

Hard to say whats going to happen in Pittsburgh, but Jarry isn't a concern for promotion to his main roster here for a bit yet and Saros is.

I do think Jarry is legit and could very well end up being the man in Pittsburgh, or somewhere else in the near future. I also think Pittsburgh could be in a similar position as there were the Vegas draft when Seattle becomes a reality in having to make a choice. It will be interesting to see what happens there. None the less, I am a believer in Jarry and think he's worth stashing. Not to say Saros isn't legit, but I'd rather hold Jarry in my minors longer and not be forced to promote Saros next year and lose him next off-season when he isn't keeper worthy in his small keeper setup. If Jarry gets to the 60 game next year, then something seriously went wrong with Murray and Jarry probably just stole the starting job anyway.

Just my thoughts.

Dobber Sports Legend

Hard to say whats going to happen in Pittsburgh, but Jarry isn't a concern for promotion to his main roster here for a bit yet and Saros is.

I do think Jarry is legit and could very well end up being the man in Pittsburgh, or somewhere else in the near future. I also think Pittsburgh could be in a similar position as there were the Vegas draft when Seattle becomes a reality in having to make a choice. It will be interesting to see what happens there. None the less, I am a believer in Jarry and think he's worth stashing. Not to say Saros isn't legit, but I'd rather hold Jarry in my minors longer and not be forced to promote Saros next year and lose him next off-season when he isn't keeper worthy in his small keeper setup. If Jarry gets to the 60 game next year, then something seriously went wrong with Murray and Jarry probably just stole the starting job anyway.

Just my thoughts.
    Pretty rock solid thinking tbh. The roster promotion is very valid point. I'm just thinking - man, how much longer can Rinne hang on? I think next year the Preds start to lean on Saros, who will be their #1 the following year.

Dobber Sports Titan

I like the point on keeping Jarry + Borgstrom as well. Saros won't be hugely valuable to you next year, and you likely won't keep him past that.

As for main keepers, I would drop Bob unless you're in a league with 16+ teams.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)