Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2018 mock drafts

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: 2018 mock drafts

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Also good to remember that it's not a mock draft, it's his personal ranking. He believes Merkley is the 10th best prospect in this draft class and he isn't afraid to put that in writing. Him dropping to 2nd round changes nothing.
    If his 10th best prospect gets drafted in the second round it?s pretty safe to assume his ranking was bad. Merkley isn?t anywhere close to a top 10 prospect

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    It?s not ridiculous to suggest the ranking of Dobson is very very bad.

To say his rankings are better than mine or yours is also false as that?s subjective. It?s jaut another random ranking by somebody who primarily views prospects on video . Real nhl teams and scouts don?t respect or put any value in rankings done by people like Pronman. That?s just a fact.

What you?re doing is appealing to authority. There?s a reason real scouts make three times the salary of internet scouts.
    How much do you make scouting?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    How much do you make scouting?
    I?m not a scout. I?m not claiming to be an expert. Guys like pronman aren?t experts . I only value the opinion of bob McKenzies scout rankings

Dobber Sports Star

What you?re doing is appealing to authority. There?s a reason real scouts make three times the salary of internet scouts.
    Is this not an appeal to authority itself, on the very same line as your citation of appeal to authority being a fallacy?

Anyway for fantasy purposes, I find that the best use of a skill-based ranking like this is to highlight the guys on whom you'd like to take a late flyer. Bokk probably won't go high in the NHL draft because he's so late to high-end developmental hockey and lacks Don Cherry-approved pedigree. But if you have room to hold him while he grows, he might be a late-blooming wonder.

Dobber Sports Deity

I?m not a scout. I?m not claiming to be an expert. Guys like pronman aren?t experts . I only value the opinion of bob McKenzies scout rankings
    And I'm not a gynecologist but I'll take a look at it for you.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Is this not an appeal to authority itself, on the very same line as your citation of appeal to authority being a fallacy?

Anyway for fantasy purposes, I find that the best use of a skill-based ranking like this is to highlight the guys on whom you'd like to take a late flyer. Bokk probably won't go high in the NHL draft because he's so late to high-end developmental hockey and lacks Don Cherry-approved pedigree. But if you have room to hold him while he grows, he might be a late-blooming wonder.
    Agree senryu!

Dobber Sports Wizard

OK, so you only value Bob's rankings. That's fine. I don't really understand the need to comment on all the other rankings in that case. Just enjoy Bob's rankings and let others enjoy other rankings as well. This is like saying I only drink this one beer I really like so that means all other beers are bad and no one should be drinking them. Why does it hurt you if someone else is using something besides just Bob's rankings?

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheMatthews View Post
    Ranking Dobson at 20 blows my mind.
    Who ranked Dobson 20th? Was the ranking from this time last year? If it's recent, that's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    OK, so you only value Bob's rankings. That's fine. I don't really understand the need to comment on all the other rankings in that case. Just enjoy Bob's rankings and let others enjoy other rankings as well. This is like saying I only drink this one beer I really like so that means all other beers are bad and no one should be drinking them. Why does it hurt you if someone else is using something besides just Bob's rankings?
    Nothing hurts me about this. It?s a hockey ranking...it?s just weird that people take guys like that as gospel when they are consistently wrong every year and always rank the same type of player high

Dobber Sports Wizard

Nothing hurts me about this. It?s a hockey ranking...it?s just weird that people take guys like that as gospel when they are consistently wrong every year and always rank the same type of player high
    I'm pretty sure no one is taking their rankings as gospel. They provide valuable information, that's all. At the end of the day, it's the opinion of one person, albeit someone who has watched them all multiple times.

And it's not like NHL scouts are actually doing much better. With all the money they're making, how is it possible they allowed players like Logan Stanley and Lawson Crouse get drafted so high? Or what about Henrik Borgstrom going undrafted during his first year of eligibility. There are countless examples of NHL scouts making mistakes as well. This is why no one's rankings should be gospel to anyone. No one is perfect. No one can be perfect. That's just how scouting works.

Dobber Sports Deity

And to think, the real scouts make three times as much as the internet scouts.

Dobber Sports Wizard

And one thing that seems to be forgotten is that Bob's ranking is an average of 10-15 different scouts, so it's really odd to even compare it to personal ranking of one person. Different scouts value different qualities and different players but those peaks and valleys disappear in average rankings, so that's why there's no controversy in Bob's rankings.

If you take 10-15 smart writer-scouts and the average of their rankings, you'll probably end up with a similar list. I'm sure some NHL scouts have some outrageous rankings as well but you don't get to see that when you only see the average number. For example, Bob mentioned that Dobson was #4 on one scout's list but he ended up being #8 on average. That could mean one of the NHL scouts have him somewhere in the #20 range as well. We just don't know because we don't have access to all that information.

With writer-scouts like Pronman, we actually get access to his own personal list and we get to see that "OK, he's really high on that kid" or "he's really low on that kid". Just reading Bob's ranking and accepting it as the complete truth doesn't actually give you much information. And then the draft comes along and someone goes way higher or way lower than where Bob's average rankings had him and you have no idea what happened. Well, maybe if you had read more opinions on those players, you might understand what actually happened.

Knowledge is power.

The Great One

Pronman doesn?t care about fantasy either though. So not sure what you mean
    Pronman cares about high-end skills and upside. About hitting the "home run". And that's exactly what people playing fantasy hockey are trying to do. A solid, two-way 3C in hockey has a lot of value. And is worthless in many fantasy formats. Ranking based on upside and skills is far more similar to fantasy hockey rankings than NHL team rankings...

The Great One

If you only value McKenzie, then in 2015 you had Crouse at 7th. Followed by Provorov, Barzal, Rantenen, Werenski, Meier and Kyle Connor

The Great One

Anybody familiar with https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/; they posted a top-500 list. And have top-500 lists for 2017 and 2016. Dahlin at 2. Farabee at 5. Veleno at 6. It seems an earlier version of these rankings were featured in the sporting news.

The 2017 rankings, at quick glance, look good.