Thread: 2018 Champ - What to do next season?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 2018 Champ - What to do next season?

Hey guys, first of all thanks for all the advice this year!*knock on wood* I am well on my way to winning the championship match up (a huuuge points lead and more players yet to play than my opponent). I made a ton of moves this season to get me out of the basement in order to sneak in to a playoff spot and end up winning it all (thanks for all your input on potential trades). My question is this. Looking at my team now, should I try to go all in again next season in order to go back to back? Or should I restock my roster? I currently do not have my 1st round pick in the upcoming draft (lost in a deal for Taylor Hall). Because this is a pretty good draft year, should I trade someone like Pavelski for a mid to high first rouder? I already have good prospects but D is an area of concern on my team (this years draft has many good d prospects). What should I do??
    12 team 35 player dynasty Keep all players - 2017-18 Leaque champ -
    Goals: 3 Assists: 2 Def pts: 0.5 PPG:2 SHG:2 Shots: 0.4 GA:-1 SV: 0.2 Wins: 5 Shutout: 3

F: Barkov, Scheifele, Dubois, Hall, Keller, Kreider, Drouin, Monahan, Dadonov, Shwartz, Terravainen, Wilson, Tatar, Schmaltz , Bratt Minors: Necas, Chytil, Borgstrom, Kravtsov, R.Thomas, Donato,

D: Jones, Butcher, Klingberg, Hamilton, S. Theodore, Minors: Chowlowski, Jokiharju, Brannstrom, K. Miller

G: Bobrovsky, Varlamov, IR: Crawford, Raanta Minors:Hill

The Great One

Default Re: 2018 Champ - What to do next season?

I like the idea of moving Pavelski. He's getting older and even after a virtual point per game second half will still end up seeing his point total drop for the second straight season. I also think that Hornqvist re-signing with the Pens would help cushion the loss of Pavelski, as will a full season from Kreider. If it was me, I'd do the deal.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

I don't mind moving Pavelski and Horny, but I would go more for someone that's a little closer to making an impact (or closer to breaking out). Tolvanen, Fiala, Reinhart, Koneckny... you get the idea). Helps you get younger while putting you in a position to win next year too. You should be able to compete next year, and there's no reason not to go for another win with a team like that!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Rookie

You have a really young F lineup. D are not bad too.

My concern in your lineup would be the G. Bobrosky is good, but big questions on Varlamov (always injured) and the Hutton/Allen duo. Hutton will always a #2 G and Allen didn't prove that he is an elite #1.

Trading Pavelski and a young gun for a goalie or a 1st round pick who can give you a good G prospect would be an appropriate move.
    8 teams keeper, 12 A, 6 D, 2 G count. 1 pt G/A; 2 pts W, 3 pts Shutout
    7 changes per mounth

Fowards:

Beauvillier, Svechnikov, Kamenev, Point, MacKinnon, Dano, Shinkaruk, Teravainen, Trochek, Huberdeau, Vesey, Scheifele, V.Rask, Mi. Granlund, Spooner, Zucker, R.Smith, Duchene, Marchesseault, Dadonov, P.Kane, Simmonds, Okposo, Zuccarello, Oshie, Bozak, Vrbata.

Defense:

Chychrun, Kylington, Theodore, Matheson, Gostisbehere, J.Schultz, McDonagh, PK Subban, Muzzin, E.Johnson, Phaneuf

Goalie:

Mrazek, Allen, Andersen, Reimer, Fleury

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay57 View Post
    You have a really young F lineup. D are not bad too.

My concern in your lineup would be the G. Bobrosky is good, but big questions on Varlamov (always injured) and the Hutton/Allen duo. Hutton will always a #2 G and Allen didn't prove that he is an elite #1.

Trading Pavelski and a young gun for a goalie or a 1st round pick who can give you a good G prospect would be an appropriate move.
    My hope with Hutton is that he signs somewhere else this offseason (UFA), Then I'd pick up Husso in the rookie draft (who I think will supplant Allen). Im not too too worried about my goaltending seeing as I had the #2 overall point total in nets this year, but I am always looking at options to improve it (It's worth so much in our league).
    Goals: 3 Assists: 2 Def pts: 0.5 PPG:2 SHG:2 Shots: 0.4 GA:-1 SV: 0.2 Wins: 5 Shutout: 3

F: Barkov, Scheifele, Dubois, Hall, Keller, Kreider, Drouin, Monahan, Dadonov, Shwartz, Terravainen, Wilson, Tatar, Schmaltz , Bratt Minors: Necas, Chytil, Borgstrom, Kravtsov, R.Thomas, Donato,

D: Jones, Butcher, Klingberg, Hamilton, S. Theodore, Minors: Chowlowski, Jokiharju, Brannstrom, K. Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I don't mind moving Pavelski and Horny, but I would go more for someone that's a little closer to making an impact (or closer to breaking out). Tolvanen, Fiala, Reinhart, Koneckny... you get the idea). Helps you get younger while putting you in a position to win next year too. You should be able to compete next year, and there's no reason not to go for another win with a team like that!
    Are there any D prospects close to breaking out? Im stacked with young forwards rn.

Dobber Sports Titan

Chabot is the first that comes to mind.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Legend

Cdot,

if you're trying to beef up your D for the long haul, I like where Eskimo is going. I don't love the idea of moving Pavelski, TBH, because I think he has 3 years of awesome production left. I also think the Sharks are going to attempt something bold this offseason, be it an acquisition like Karlsson or Tavares, etc.

That being said, if you are already sold on moving JoPa, I would make sure it is for a pick high enough to land you (1) of Boqvist, Hughes or Bouchard. The other avenue to take would be to target a young D with massive upside - McAvoy, Chabot, Makar, Sergachev, etc. Or, even a straight swap for someone who sort of underachieved like Ristolainen.

But there's no way I'd trade Pavelski for a D project who is 3 years away from the show. So much will happen in your league within 3 years and you'll be far better off with Pavelski.

Good luck with the repeat.