Thread: One critical roster game left: advice?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default One critical roster game left: advice?

League parameters in sig. Using Yahoo! platform.

I have a single goalie game left which, thanks to a loophole in the Yahoo! platform, means that I can either play one goalie one night or two goalies starting in the same night. Not knowing who is starting which night leaves me with some theoretical options.

Context: the player in second is about 26 points back with max 29 games left across his entire roster if he uses the loophole and none of his players are surprise sits for "maintenance". He's been scoring at a 1.01 fantasy ppg clip lately so on paper, I'm projected to lose by a slim margin. The right goalie start(s) could save my season.

Hypothetically, if Domingue and DeSmith both start tomorrow night against Ott and Buf, respectively, are they a better tandem start than
    1: (Luongo or Reimer) vs Buffalo alone on Sat
    2: Fla over Buf AND some other start together on Sat (highly dependent on who's available, but potentially Holtby will start at home to NJ and potentially Dubnyk @ SJ/Elliott home to NYR/Markstrom @ Edm)?

If only one of those goalies starts tomorrow, do I hold out for Saturday?

There is a pretty significant penalty for a loss so I really want to only hit wins, or at least games with low goals against. I know, I know, picking wins is one of the toughest games in town. But I'm still going to ask

Thanks
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    L Hall, Beauvillier, Robertson
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)
    D Theodore, Carlson, Josi, Reilly (Bos)
    G Shesterkin, Nedeljkovic, Campbell, Greiss

1Y H2H [G, A, +-, PPP, SOG, H], [W, SV%, GAA, SO]

Default Re: One critical roster game left: advice?

OK, so only Casey DeSmith tonight.
    Seems to me that waiting for the Florida vs. Buffalo matchup tomorrow is more likely to produce a low goals-against win. I can also wait right through tomorrow and start a Panthers goalie on Sunday if absolutely necessary...

DeSmith has let in at least 3 goals per start almost every start he's had, so...not great.

Thoughts?
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)

OK, so I screwed that up as badly as possible. Opponent made big headway tonight too. I will have to go for it tomorrow. Florida start against Buffalo (hopefully all of the scoring tonight tired them out) and one of Holtby (NJ), Elliott (NYR) or whoever else is starting. I prefer Holtby, particularly if Hall gets a rest day (pleeeeease). I suppose this means I'm secretly rooting for the Phi-Fla tiebreaker
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)

What do you think of this strategy: start Elliott in the early game. If he wins, pull everybody for the rest of the day. If he loses (and Florida is then still in play), start Luongo as well?
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Starstruck View Post
    League parameters in sig. Using Yahoo! platform.

I have a single goalie game left which, thanks to a loophole in the Yahoo! platform, means that I can either play one goalie one night or two goalies starting in the same night. Not knowing who is starting which night leaves me with some theoretical options.

Context: the player in second is about 26 points back with max 29 games left across his entire roster if he uses the loophole and none of his players are surprise sits for "maintenance". He's been scoring at a 1.01 fantasy ppg clip lately so on paper, I'm projected to lose by a slim margin. The right goalie start(s) could save my season.

Hypothetically, if Domingue and DeSmith both start tomorrow night against Ott and Buf, respectively, are they a better tandem start than
    1: (Luongo or Reimer) vs Buffalo alone on Sat
    2: Fla over Buf AND some other start together on Sat (highly dependent on who's available, but potentially Holtby will start at home to NJ and potentially Dubnyk @ SJ/Elliott home to NYR/Markstrom @ Edm)?

If only one of those goalies starts tomorrow, do I hold out for Saturday?

There is a pretty significant penalty for a loss so I really want to only hit wins, or at least games with low goals against. I know, I know, picking wins is one of the toughest games in town. But I'm still going to ask

Thanks
    Do you know for sure that Yahoo allows you to go over the maximum allowable starts at a position if those starts happen on the same night? As in, you've experienced this? I was discussing this with someone on Twitter the other night, and neither one of us were sure.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Starstruck View Post
    What do you think of this strategy: start Elliott in the early game. If he wins, pull everybody for the rest of the day. If he loses (and Florida is then still in play), start Luongo as well?
    I've used that as a "Sunday" strategy before in H2H leagues. If I'm already ahead in wins and my opponent can't catch up in that category, I'll bench my goalie(s) if I am also ahead in GAA/SV% so I don't risk losing those categories because one of them gets lit up.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

100% sure - used it for all of my other positions this year. You get yourself down to 1 game remaining at C, for example, and then you can start 4 C the next night and they'll all count. Commish was up front about it.

It's not roto, it's total points. The poolie behind me is 21 points down and can field a full roster (4C 6W 5D 2G - looks like he's starting Raanta vs. Ducks and Anderson vs. Habs, so two potential wins there). If things go according to average, he'll fall short. But he's playing some matchups so might do a bit better than average. If Luongo is starting against the Sabres regardless of the outcome of the Philly game, then that's a really good look at a win. I would just hate to not start Elliott, see the Flyers win and then the Panthers dog it tonight. The secret trap door is that I could wait to see how today shakes out entirely and then start a Panthers goalie tomorrow...but that Sabres start looks SO GOOD. Note: Vasilevskiy lost points for his poolie last night even with the win, so that could always happen again.
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)

OH SNAP! Hall, Palmieri and Zajak are resting tonight. Holtby just bubbled up past Elliott I think.
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)

ARGH. It looks like the Panthers may have swapped Luongo out for Reimer at the last second.
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)

Well I managed to play myself out of the championship. Using the last game on DeSmith or Elliott would have won it for me but the Holtby/Luonghost combo fell short. At least Holtby/Reimer would have also lost. That would have been too much. Continually finding new ways to remain a bridesmaid.
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ouch
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO