Thread: Robin Lehner long term ?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Robin Lehner long term ?

What are the chances he leaves Buffalo next season ? I still got high hopes for the guy if he has a change of scenery. Would like to hear your thoughts on him long term..

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Robin Lehner long term ?

I'd expect Buffalo to move on from him as soon as this offseason. I think he's basically an average NHL goalie with trouble staying healthy.

My thoughts on him long term, are that's he worth having around on your roster if your league is deep. He's probably not worth a keeper spot in any league except where you can keep him at some sort of a great value (really late round pick, or super cheap auction value) or it's a dynasty league or something really close to that where every NHL possible starter has real value.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyKing View Post
    What are the chances he leaves Buffalo next season ? I still got high hopes for the guy if he has a change of scenery. Would like to hear your thoughts on him long term..
    He needed a change of scenery from Ottawa. Now he needs a change of scenery from Buffalo. And I predict in 3 years or so, he'll need a change of scenery from a yet to be determined location.

The Great One

I think if he was going to be a very good goalie he'd already be one by now. He has done well in terms of SV% on some terrible teams, but I worry that so much losing has taken its toll plus even though injuries heal enough for him to play again they do add up. In my leagues he's a guy I'm likely to avoid.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Master

its going to be interesting to see what happens to both lehner and mrazek .

do they even get a qualifying offer from current teams

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont think either get qualifying offers this off-season. Both will be FA's. Lehner may get a starter role somewhere but I dont believe Mrazek does. He should find a backup role somewhere but I dont see him as a starter next year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont think either get qualifying offers this off-season. Both will be FA's. Lehner may get a starter role somewhere but I dont believe Mrazek does. He should find a backup role somewhere but I dont see him as a starter next year.
    If greiss wasnt locked up for 2 more years at 3.3 I'd suggest isles would probably make an attempt to trade mid round pick for lehner then qualify him .

sorokins khl was supposed to end this season which would have slid him into a shared crease with greiss to start his career but he went and signed that damn extention last summer which has kinda thwarted the isles goalie timeline a bit

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I sort of still have faith in Lehner... but I don't know when it will come.
    He's sort of Bishop/Dubnyk-esque. Those guys panned out well, but there were times when people had lost faith.
    Goalies are weird, you find the right landing spot for them (say, Mason in PHI) and they can excel.
    The wrong spot can be disaster.

Also -and this can be key, Lehner came to the Sabres in a June 26, 2015 trade.
    That was a Tim Murray trade.
    The current BUF GM, Jason Botterill, gets no credit for Lehner-success... and GMs (like Chayka-ARI) love to put "their stamp" on as many players as possible.
    For that reason, look for Botterill to bring in new goalie-blood that he can take credit for.

Botterill played on a good University of Michigan hockey team in 1996-1997.
    Maybe he brings in Marty Turco!!!

ps. No... don't ask me about the UM-ND game last night...