Thread: Liljegren

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Liljegren

Am I wrong saying he'll be an elite offensive d-men? Does he has enough room to develop in Toronto?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Liljegren

He will not be an elite offensive defenseman . By today's standards that would equate to 65 points. I can not see that even remotely happening. His offense in his draft year was based on gambling and playing poor defensive positioning. That isnt getting him to the NHL. I see 35 points early on with potential to near 55.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Martin5150 View Post
    He will not be an elite offensive defenseman . By today's standards that would equate to 65 points. I can not see that even remotely happening. His offense in his draft year was based on gambling and playing poor defensive positioning. That isnt getting him to the NHL. I see 35 points early on with potential to near 55.
    55+ points for a dman is not elite? If liljegren turns out to be anywhere near a 50pt dman the leafs hit a homer, the kid needs to work on getting his defensive side of the game first.
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

forwards
    Buchnevich ,Landeskog ,Toffoli , Nugent-Hopkins,N Schmaltz, yamamoto, bjorkstrand, dadonov ,fabbri, skinner, henrik borgstrom, timo meier, Klim Kostin ,Robert thomas, Valintin Zykov, Farabee,
    Grigori Denisenko.

defense
    provorov, ekblad, Dumba, Chabot, Schmidt , orlov, Skjei

goalies
    hellebuyck, craig anderson,Darling,Kuemper, Reimer, husso ,sorokin.

Dobber Sports Wizard

There's a lot of risk with Liljegren but Toronto was a great landing spot for him considering they don't have any good offensive defensemen with right-handed shot. There's definitely room for him if he ever gets there.

I still think Vegas did the right thing choosing Brannstrom ahead of Liljegren. A lot of people are overvaluing Liljegren because he had a good age-16 season (and because Toronto drafted him) but he fell in the draft for a reason.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The Marlies are one of the few AHL teams that are focused on developing their young players, and Liljegren is a rare 18 year old playing in the AHL. At the moment he's got 15 points in 40 games and is a respectable +11.

For what it's worth, the last Dobber Fantasy Prospects Report had him pegged as a top-pairing dman Drew Doughty comparable with a 10-30-40 upside. He may have a higher ceiling but with defensemen that will often depend on PP usage.

With all of that said, let's remember he's still very green and I think the Leafs will take their time with him.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I said he has potential to near 55 points. Which is not elite. Not when 12-15 players reach that level. To be elite I believe you need to be capable of 65 points. And definitely 55+ regularly.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

55 is great even tough it might not be elite. Just don't know what to give in a trade for him..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Kids gunna be a star! Top pairing Right shot. Watch out!

Dobber Sports Legend

Elite? Not likely. Then again, if he pans out, he could be Klingberg-ish. The problem is, Morgan Rielly is really, really good, so I don't think any one Leaf will slay it on the PP like, say, Ghost does in Philly or Barrie in Denver.

Big Daddy

I'd imagine he'll play the majority of next season in the AHL and possibly get a late season call-up. Still a couple years out for Liljegren becoming fantasy relevant.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I'd imagine he'll play the majority of next season in the AHL and possibly get a late season call-up. Still a couple years out for Liljegren becoming fantasy relevant.
    Side note: The Mikey Palm mask is classic.