Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best offensive d-men next draft

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Best offensive d-men next draft

If Edmonton picks a d man first I may lean towards that one. All other things being equal Hughes is my pick.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    If Edmonton picks a d man first I may lean towards that one. All other things being equal Hughes is my pick.
    This is very true. The top 10 this year has 5 or 6 defenseman who can fill that #1PP spot on Edmonton's blue line, and that's a great spot for any of them. I'd still want Hughes and Boqvist ahead of the next three (Bouchard, Dobson and Smith) but if one of those three get drafted by Edmonton, I definitely want that guy from the group. And I wouldn't blame anyone for taking that player ahead of Hughes and Boqvist - they're all very good players and a good situation could really push them very high for fantasy hockey purposes.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Has to be. For his skating ability and creativity alone. It's where the NHL is trying to get back to, gang. Players like Karlsson, Gostisbehere, Klingberg, Barrie have all been given leash they never would have been extended back in the day. The NHL knows offense sells, and it starts from the back end, and through transition. Hughes is tailor made for the current game. Others have similar offensive instincts but his incredible skating is a differentiator.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Sans Dahlin, I'll go...

1. Hughes
    2. Boqvist
    3. Bouchard
    4. Dobson
    5. Smith
    6. Merkley

Merkley has the best puck movement and offensive instincts but he's tiny and, at least right now, is a liability in his own end. He'll need the absolute perfect situation to come close to reaching his potential. I see a way more Ryan Murphy in his game than Ryan Ellis. I also see some Anthony DeAngelo in him, and not in a good way. These are loose comparisons, but what instinctively come to mind...

Hughes = Gostisbehere
    Boqvist = Krug
    Bouchard = Carlson
    Dobson = Hamilton
    Smith = Brodie
    Merkley = (best case) Barrie / (worst case) Murphy
    Saddens me to have to agree with Fung. I've watched Merkley up close for the past 2 years and it's quite clear to me that his biggest liability/obstacle is between his ears. His on and off ice presence comes across as disinterested, disengaged and arrogant.

He's been a healthy scratch far more than the former 1st overall and rookie of the year should have been. but it was well deserved.

I can see him slipping to the 2nd and can also see him failing to transfer to the NHL. (Ryan Murphy)

Too bad. Kid's skating is 2nd to none. So Slick.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Saddens me to have to agree with Fung. I've watched Merkley up close for the past 2 years and it's quite clear to me that his biggest liability/obstacle is between his ears. His on and off ice presence comes across as disinterested, disengaged and arrogant.

He's been a healthy scratch far more than the former 1st overall and rookie of the year should have been. but it was well deserved.

I can see him slipping to the 2nd and can also see him failing to transfer to the NHL. (Ryan Murphy)

Too bad. Kid's skating is 2nd to none. So Slick.
    I wonder if he's eventually converted to wing.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I wonder if he's eventually converted to wing.
    Yup! That has been floated many times around the Storm critics.