Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jesus Christ Superstar

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Jesus Christ Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I didn't mean to single you out, just to point out that it goes both ways. Atheists often get pitied for being lost, and religious people get pitied for being misled. Just one of those things.
    No, I get it. I can totally understand how each side feels, and the frustrations that arise as a result for each.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    See, I have zero time for any notion that suggests that Jesus may not have existed. The vast, vast majority of scholars with any credibility, both Christian and non-Christian, would never suggest that He didn't exist, or even entertain the theory that He may not have.

I don't chime in to enter into or create internet debates, and I hope you don't attempt to take it there. They're a mess, and we're not going to change one another's minds. We've both done plenty of research, and we've come to different conclusions. I just don't let threads like this stand without being a voice for the faith.
    Of course, I respect this. My suggestion that there is ambiguity with regards to the existence of Christ, was in response to your post which came across as suggesting that the Bible is 100 percent factual, and any suggestion otherwise is nothing but fiction. If that is not how you intended to come across, then I may have misinterpreted your post. For the record, I do believe that Jesus existed, and was a great man.

There is no question that Jesus Christ Superstar is intended as entertainment. I find it to be thought provoking, and goes to show that perspective is a powerful thing. I am also well aware that it is controversial, and it is not the source that I would suggest to somebody who is questioning their own faith or somebody who was looking to explore Christianity.

I do appreciate that you aren’t interested in a religious debate. For the most part, when religious people realize that I am an Atheist who used to be religious, they tend to view me in one of two ways. They either see me as somebody who needs to be saved, or they cast fiery judgement while looking down their nose at me with disgust. It is refreshing to see that you don’t seem to view me in either of these ways. Thank you for that.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post

There is no question that Jesus Christ Superstar is intended as entertainment. I find it to be thought provoking, and goes to show that perspective is a powerful thing. I am also well aware that it is controversial, and it is not the source that I would suggest to somebody who is questioning their own faith or somebody who was looking to explore Christianity.

Rylant
    I was raised Catholic and most Catholics I know, including my still fairly devout family members, love JCS. For the music, but also its personal and political elements (which are, I think, quite historically plausible). It's not literal gospel, but as you say, it is thought provoking in the way the leads Judas, Jesus, and Mary (and to a lesser extent Pilate and Peter) grapple with love, doubt, and faith. And those, I think, are central to most people's religious experiences at some point or another. Actually, I would highly recommended it to someone questioning their own faith.

Dobber Sports Master

I'm only about 10 minutes in so far but heres a youtube upload of the show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YXNih-Zi8U